Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
A few weeks ago I decided to take apart my iPod Classic. The screen had these black lines on it, and being out of warranty, I took it upon myself to fix it. I purchased a new screen on eBay for $7 and then thought to myself "Hey, the iPod is pretty scratched, I wonder how hard it would be to replace the front and back cover?". I watched some videos on Youtube and it looked easy enough, so I ordered a new front, back, and clickwheel.

Anyways, I get the iPod open and I'm super careful not to break anything. I replace the parts I want and put the thing back together. I turn it on and to my dismay, I get an x inside of a red circle. Now I've read that this is most likely caused by a hard drive failure or by a loose cable. I double checked all the cables and I still get this message. When I put the front of the iPod inside of my iHome dock (without the back, hard drive, etc. Just the motherboard and screen) the screen lights up fine.

Is it possible that I did something to the hard drive when I opened it? Should I try buying an 80GB hard drive on eBay and replacing it myself? Or should I just not bother?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 10,012
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 717

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I would get an ssd:D Now seriously the flat that connects the hdd to the ipod motherboard is really fragile, are you sure that you didn't damage it? It might not be well connected (happened to me before).

Anyway the hard drive spins up?

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I would get an ssd:D Now seriously the flat that connects the hdd to the ipod motherboard is really fragile, are you sure that you didn't damage it? It might not be well connected (happened to me before).

Anyway the hard drive spins up?

LOL my friend suggested I put an SSD in it!

I was really careful when opening it up, but I guess it is possible that it got damaged. I tried reconnecting it a good 3-4 times so I don't think that the problem. And yes, the hard drive spins up (and sounds) fine.

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
I've had my Classic apart a few times now (battery, Hd and now an SSD) and the Zif connector is always removed from the HD not the motherboard. I'll bet that is where your problem lies. Here's a pic from iFixit of what connector to release to remove the HD:
aNss56gIJvOeRwaB.medium

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I've had my Classic apart a few times now (battery, Hd and now an SSD) and the Zif connector is always removed from the HD not the motherboard. I'll bet that is where your problem lies.

I reconnected it twice from the hard drive and the motherboard and I'm still getting the x. Do you think the Zif connector is damaged? Also, the iPod is not completely closed. Everything is plugged in properly, but I didn't snap it back together just in case I have to remove the hard drive or something.

BTW why/how did you put an SSD drive in your iPod? Just curious

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I went into diagnostics mode and went HDD Spec and got the message "ERROR! Diag Halt". I've reseated the cables a bunch of times. Should I just get a new hard drive?

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
I reconnected it twice from the hard drive and the motherboard and I'm still getting the x. Do you think the Zif connector is damaged? Also, the iPod is not completely closed. Everything is plugged in properly, but I didn't snap it back together just in case I have to remove the hard drive or something.

BTW why/how did you put an SSD drive in your iPod? Just curious

Generally the Red-X means the drive is dead or stuck. There are a couple of things you can try: format it Windows and connect to iTunes. Formatted this way still works on a Mac too. It might come back to life.

Do you hear the drive clicking when you are powered up? If so, you can smack the back of the iPod hard with your hand to jar the needle loose. This has worked for me in the past. Make sure the iPod is completely closed up though.

I have left my iPod open and powered it up to check things out, so not having the back closed isn't a problem.

As far as the SSD, it's the same as replacing the HD. Just make sure you get one that runs at 3.3v and NOT 5v. I purchased one that required the 5v power supply and it will not power up. I had to return it and get the right one. There is a thread 128GB SSD iPod Classic that has some examples. I used the SuperTalent Master Drive SSD, but the 64gb one. And I did buy it from there too. The drives aren't too cheap. I changed my 120gb to a 64gb SSD due to price. Heck, I even found a 160gb classic refurb on Apple (a couple of weeks ago) for the price of that 128gb drive. They do boot up quicker ( I compared mine with a 160gb classic) and in my car I hear music before I see the data on my head unit.

I went into diagnostics mode and went HDD Spec and got the message "ERROR! Diag Halt". I've reseated the cables a bunch of times. Should I just get a new hard drive?

Probably. You could try putting it in disk mode then restore it. If you cant get into restore more than likely the drive is dead.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Wow, thanks for all the info!

Generally the Red-X means the drive is dead or stuck. There are a couple of things you can try: format it Windows and connect to iTunes. Formatted this way still works on a Mac too. It might come back to life.

I tried this a few weeks ago using Windows 7 through Parallels. Unfortunately, iTunes would only restore it half way and then give me an error. I tried this multiple times in Windows, OS X, and other Windows based computers with no luck.

Do you hear the drive clicking when you are powered up? If so, you can smack the back of the iPod hard with your hand to jar the needle loose. This has worked for me in the past. Make sure the iPod is completely closed up though.

I have left my iPod open and powered it up to check things out, so not having the back closed isn't a problem.

I hear the subtle clicking noises that it usually makes, but not any noises that would indicate a broken drive. Since I don't want to close the iPod until it works, would it be a good idea to smack the actual HD? I'm guessing this would just cause more damage.

As far as the SSD, it's the same as replacing the HD. Just make sure you get one that runs at 3.3v and NOT 5v. I purchased one that required the 5v power supply and it will not power up. I had to return it and get the right one. There is a thread 128GB SSD iPod Classic that has some examples. I used the SuperTalent Master Drive SSD, but the 64gb one. And I did buy it from there too. The drives aren't too cheap. I changed my 120gb to a 64gb SSD due to price. Heck, I even found a 160gb classic refurb on Apple (a couple of weeks ago) for the price of that 128gb drive. They do boot up quicker ( I compared mine with a 160gb classic) and in my car I hear music before I see the data on my head unit.

Probably. You could try putting it in disk mode then restore it. If you cant get into restore more than likely the drive is dead.

An SSD sounds AWESOME, but unfortunately I'm strained for cash at the moment. Not to mention that I only really use this iPod for its huge capacity. Seems like a fun project to do in the future though! :)

I haven't tried recently, but when I first got the red x (a few weeks ago) I could successfully put it into disk mode. iTunes could not restore it though, it would just go about half way and then freeze.

Thanks for all the help!

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Those subtle clicking noises may just be the drive failing. Especially if you say it partially restores then fails. My last drive failure would happen during a sync, about half way thru, but after it rebooted would play fine. I just couldn't sync any new music or remove any. It also failed a few times during playback and the hit technique would usually solve the problem. It just got to be too much, too often, so I replaced the HD.

HD replacements aren't as expensive as the SSDs if you really need one.

Considering you need to really slap the iPod pretty hard to "free" up the drive, I would definitely close it up first.

Good luck.

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Those subtle clicking noises may just be the drive failing. Especially if you say it partially restores then fails. My last drive failure would happen during a sync, about half way thru, but after it rebooted would play fine. I just couldn't sync any new music or remove any. It also failed a few times during playback and the hit technique would usually solve the problem. It just got to be too much, too often, so I replaced the HD.

HD replacements aren't as expensive as the SSDs if you really need one.

Considering you need to really slap the iPod pretty hard to "free" up the drive, I would definitely close it up first.

Good luck.

I've heard those subtle clicking noises from when I first got the iPod back in 2008, I'm pretty sure its just the normal sound of operation. I'll try putting it back together with the old casing and trying the slap trick, but if that doesn't work I guess I have to buy a new hard drive. Ebay has a few 80GBs for $60-$70.

Thanks for all the help!

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
OK, maybe "subtle" was the wrong word. If the clicking is "noticeable" and the iPod is frozen, then it's likely a stuck/failing drive. ;)

Last edited:

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
OK, maybe "subtle" was the wrong word. If the clicking is "noticeable" and the iPod is frozen, then it's likely a stuck/failing drive. ;)

Nope, no noticeable clicking noises that weren't present before. I think I'm gonna try putting it back together with the old casing, trying the slap trick, and if that doesn't work I'll buy a new HD.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
At this point, wouldn't buying a brand new iPod have been the cheaper option?:(

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
At this point, wouldn't buying a brand new iPod have been the cheaper option?:(

A new iPod classic is $250 vs a $60 HD :D

Maybe if Apple utilizes Bluetooth in the next gen Classics, then I might pick one up.

If anyone has anymore suggestions, please feel free to help me out!

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
$60 HD, plus new screen, plus case, clickwheel...etc. Might as well put in a new battery while you have it opened.

Well, I already bought the casing and click wheel, $25 for all of that, plus the screen for $7. If I buy the hard drive, thats $92 vs $250 :)

Laststop

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
I've got the 128GB 3.3V super talent ssd. I'm trying to find info on which ipod classic slim it works in.

Can I use the newest 160GB 7th gen slim?

If I cant use that can I use the 120GB 6.5 gen slim

If I cant use tthat then it must be the 6th gen 80GB slim that only works

Or does all 3 of them work?

I really need to know I already got the SSD drive and not knowing the ipod classic model to get for sure is delaying me.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
I've got the 128GB 3.3V super talent ssd. I'm trying to find info on which ipod classic slim it works in.

Can I use the newest 160GB 7th gen slim?

If I cant use that can I use the 120GB 6.5 gen slim

If I cant use tthat then it must be the 6th gen 80GB slim that only works

Or does all 3 of them work?

I really need to know I already got the SSD drive and not knowing the ipod classic model to get for sure is delaying me.

i would think it would work in any of them. not much has changed in the classics for a long time.

Laststop

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
7th gen added the genius mixes or something.

I just want to be sure I get the right ipod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.