Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old May 31, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
sge12
macrumors newbie

Java on mac

i just got an ibook g3 (not clamshell) and i want to learn java. are there any free programs that i can use to write then compile java programs. i heard some stuff about xcode but i dont think it is free.
computer info
20 gig hd
384 mb sdram
600 mhz power pc g3
cd drive
osx tiger
sge12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2
unkn0wnsoldier
macrumors regular

http://www.eclipse.org/
Old May 31, 2011, 10:48 PM   #3
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkn0wnsoldier View Post
I wonder if Eclipse might be too heavy for this Mac.

Maybe just use TextEdit to edit java source code and javac in Terminal to compile.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Great Dave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sge12 View Post
i just got an ibook g3 (not clamshell) and i want to learn java. are there any free programs that i can use to write then compile java programs. i heard some stuff about xcode but i dont think it is free.
computer info
20 gig hd
384 mb sdram
600 mhz power pc g3
cd drive
osx tiger
I love NetBeans...

You can use NetBeans - I think 6.8 was the last version that supported PowerPC.

I hope you got the iBook for free.

You could also check out craiglist and buy a cheap PC (Under $100) that would give you way better performance and a more fun java learning experience.
Great Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 03:27 PM   #5
pikester
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaus View Post
Maybe just use TextEdit to edit java source code and javac in Terminal to compile.
I agree with this. The iBook G3 is a pretty slow machine, running NetBeans or Eclipse on it would most likely be a hinderance in learning. I'd recommend TextWrangler 3.1 as and editor (3.5 is not compatible with Tiger): http://www.barebones.com/support/tex...r/updates.html

You'll need to compile from the command line, but it shouldn't be that difficult to do (it'll get you used to working with the command line). This should be a good introduction to Java on the Mac.
pikester is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming