Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sge12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
i just got an ibook g3 (not clamshell) and i want to learn java. are there any free programs that i can use to write then compile java programs. i heard some stuff about xcode but i dont think it is free.
computer info
20 gig hd
384 mb sdram
600 mhz power pc g3
cd drive
osx tiger

Great Dave

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
i just got an ibook g3 (not clamshell) and i want to learn java. are there any free programs that i can use to write then compile java programs. i heard some stuff about xcode but i dont think it is free.
computer info
20 gig hd
384 mb sdram
600 mhz power pc g3
cd drive
osx tiger

I love NetBeans...

You can use NetBeans - I think 6.8 was the last version that supported PowerPC.

I hope you got the iBook for free.

You could also check out craiglist and buy a cheap PC (Under $100) that would give you way better performance and a more fun java learning experience.

pikester

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Maybe just use TextEdit to edit java source code and javac in Terminal to compile.

I agree with this. The iBook G3 is a pretty slow machine, running NetBeans or Eclipse on it would most likely be a hinderance in learning. I'd recommend TextWrangler 3.1 as and editor (3.5 is not compatible with Tiger): http://www.barebones.com/support/textwrangler/updates.html

You'll need to compile from the command line, but it shouldn't be that difficult to do (it'll get you used to working with the command line). This should be a good introduction to Java on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.