Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Done this to a couple of phones now.. No adverse effects with the ones labelled in green. If anything, better RAM+battery+speed. May be physicking myself out.. But it seems like it.

Thought I would share!

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224341

This guide was last updated on August 17, 2010 at 9:25 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time.

NOTE! It is STRONGLY recommended that you make a backup of all the files being modified in this tutorial. These are core system files, and removing the wrong one could potentially result in a restore if backups are not made. Be sure to read through this ENTIRE tutorial thoroughly before taking any action or asking any questions.

It is also recommended that you have MobileFinder or iFile installed, in case you need to restore your backups but are unable to SSH into your device for some reason. I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device by this tutorial. Follow this tutorial at your own risk. Your results may vary depending on the MobileSubstrate plugins you have running, as those take up memory by themselves.

Every daemon in this tutorial has been tested on a first-generation iPod touch with the 3.1.2 firmware. I am not responsible for any damage to devices other than a first-generation iPod touch with the 3.1.2 firmware, as I am incapable of testing on them. However, this tutorial applies to all devices running firmwares 3.0 and above, including iOS 4.0. iOS 4.0 has apparently added some more daemons that are not covered in this tutorial; if you want them in this tutorial, you will have to test them yourself or wait for someone else other than me to do so, because my first-gen iPod touch is not eligible for the 4.0 update.

Also note that if you do not make a backup and end up needing to restore a daemon, the members of this forum cannot upload any .plist files for you. These files contain code copyrighted by Apple, and as such cannot be posted for download on a public forum. Make your backups, people!

There is also a package in Cydia available from a less-than-legitimate source called "Disable Daemons" that automates this process. However, I strongly recommend that you do not install this package. No problems have been reported with it so far, but the fact is that it would be very easy for the developer to put out a malicious update that deleted every daemon on your device and you would have no way of knowing. With something that deals with system-level files like this, it's best to do it manually so you know it's done right.

Note for those using Spirit: According to MuscleNerd, Spirit installs its own launch daemon. Accidentally deleting this daemon will necessitate a restore of your device. Also, if your device has been previously jailbroken with a different tool, and you used this tutorial to delete launch daemons and kept an edited version of the LaunchDaemons folder on your computer, DO NOT simply use that edited folder to replace the LaunchDaemons folder on your Spirit-jailbroken device. That folder will not have the necessary Spirit daemon and you will have to restore. This has already happened to at least one user on these forums. If anyone could provide me with some information on what the Spirit daemon is named so I can add it to the list, I'd appreciate it.

Before we start, you need to understand what a daemon is if you don't already. Wikipedia has an excellent explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Unix and other computer multitasking operating systems, a daemon is a computer program that runs in the background, rather than under the direct control of a user; they are usually initiated as background processes.
So what does this mean? This means that when your iPhone or iPod is turned on, it loads a bunch of background processes (over 60!) that allow it to do various things, like connect to the Internet and receive calls. Since these processes are in the background, they take up a sizable amount of your device's available RAM, and because they're system processes, they can't be killed with SBSettings or MemTool. The good news is that some of these daemons are completely unnecessary (for most people), and you can simply delete them and regain the RAM they were taking up.

First, SSH into your device and navigate to /System/Library. Find the LaunchDaemons folder and download the entire thing to your desktop. Rename the folder on your desktop to something like "LaunchDaemons.old" or "LaunchDaemons.backup" and reupload it to your device without making any changes to it (and keep a copy on your computer as well; you can never have too many backups). This will serve as our on-device backup, in case something goes wrong and you can't SSH into your device or connect via USB. Then, make all of the changes you want to make to the .plist files in the original LaunchDaemons folder.

To disable a daemon, simply delete the corresponding .plist file.

Safe Daemons
These can be deleted by any user, with no adverse effects on the device.
•com.apple.DumpPanic.plist - Dumps crashes for evaluation by Apple.
•com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist - There are 5 of these daemons, and they collect data about what caused a crash, what programs were running at the time, etc.
•com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist - Dumps baseband crashes, which shouldn't happen during normal use. iPod touch users don't even have a baseband.
•com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist - Also deals with crashes.
•com.apple.aslmanager.plist - This daemon manages system logs.
•com.apple.syslogd.plist - Logs system events.
•com.apple.powerlog.plist - This is used to monitor any incompatibilities with 3rd party chargers.
•com.apple.stackshot.server.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device. Some more information can be found Source), but I don't know what that means, exactly. Removing this daemon has had no adverse effects on my device.
•com.apple.chud.chum.plist - This daemon is thought to relate to Apple's CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Developer) tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
•com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist - This daemon is also thought to relate to Apple's CHUD tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
•com.apple.psctl.plist - No definitive information about this daemon is currently available, but it's believed that it deals with connecting external storage devices, possibly a feature coming in new iDevices. It doesn't do anything for now, though, so feel free to delete it. (Source)
•com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist - Logs push notification errors.
•com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist - Also believed to log push notification errors.

Conditional Daemons
These daemons can be disabled by certain users who have no need for some features of their device.
•com.apple.searchd.plist - Disables Spotlight search if removed. The Spotlight page will still be there, but nothing will show up when you start typing. Disable this daemon if you don't use Spotlight.
•com.apple.AddressBook.plist - If removed, Contacts in the Phone application will load slightly slower. Disable this if you don't care about that.
•com.apple.accessoryd.plist - If removed, disables accessories like FM radio transmitters, iPhone docks, and AV cables. Accessories will be able to charge your device, but that is all they will be able to do. Remove this if you don't use any of these accessories.
•com.apple.apsd.plist - If removed, Push Notifications will no longer work. Disable this if you don't use Push Notifications.
•com.apple.iapd.plist - Functions like com.apple.accessoryd.plist (Source). My personal guess is that it deals with accessories that also come with companion apps, but don't hold me to that.
•com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist - If removed, contacts will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services.
•com.apple.datamigrator.plist - Used to transfer contacts from SIM card to phone. iPod touch users can delete this.
•com.apple.racoon.plist - Used for Virtual Private Networks. Disable this daemon if you do not use any VPNs.
•com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist - Used for Internet Tethering. Disable this if you have an iPod touch or if you aren't interested in tethering.
•com.apple.AOSNotification.plist - This daemon deals with MobileMe syncing. If you do not use the MobileMe service, you can disable this.
•com.apple.AdminLite.plist - This daemon tries to return control of your device to you if it thinks that you are waiting for a lengthly process to respond. It does this by force-quitting the process, so if you're tired of your apps crashing and you would rather wait a few seconds for them to finish what they're doing, disable this daemon.
•com.apple.graphicsservices.sample.plist - Thought to have something to do with displaying album artwork. I've deleted it on my iPod and everything still works fine, but some people have encountered problems.
•com.apple.UIKit.pasteboardd.plist - I believe that this daemon deals with copy/paste. If you don't find yourself using copy/paste, you can disable this daemon.
•com.apple.mobile.obliteration.plist - This daemon wipes the data partition of your device. (Source) This will be used if you remotely wipe your phone via Exchange, or if you use Settings > General > Reset, or if you set your device to wipe itself after a certain number of failed passcode entries. If you don't use these features, you can delete this daemon.
•com.apple.scrod.plist - This daemon deals with Voice Control. If you don't use Voice Control, you can delete this daemon.
•com.apple.VoiceOverTouch - Another Voice Control daemon.
•com.apple.voiced - Yet another Voice Control daemon.
•com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor.plist - This daemon apparently deals with provisioning profiles for ad-hoc app distribution. If that doesn't apply to you, or if you have no idea what that is, you can delete this daemon. (Source)

Unknown Daemons
The functions of these daemons are currently unknown. Proceed with caution.

•com.apple.daily.plist - Nothing is currently known about this daemon, except that it is programmed to perform a certain function once a day. Removing this daemon has had no adverse effects on my device.
•com.apple.iqagent.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has had no adverse effects on my device.
•com.apple.storage_mounter.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but it is believed that it deals with a possibly upcoming iOS feature that will allow you to use your iPhone or iPod touch in disk mode. However, for the time being it does nothing and can be safely deleted.

Device-Specific Daemons
These daemons have different functions for different devices. Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that these daemons are safe to delete from your specific device.
•com.apple.CommCenter.plist - Deals with making and receiving phone calls and connecting to the cellular data network. iPod touch users and wifi-only iPad users (confirmed on the first-gen iPod, assumed on all the others) can delete this daemon with no adverse effects. iPhone and iPad 3G users should not delete this daemon under any circumstances.
•com.apple.awd_ice2.plist - Apparently only affects the iPhone 3G and 3GS. It's not known what its function is on those devices, however, so remove this daemon at your own risk.
•com.apple.awd_ice3.plist - Only affects the iPhone 4. It's not known what its function is on the iPhone 4, however, so remove it at your own risk.
•com.apple.aggregated.plist - It is believed that this performs some function related to Audio-In. If you have an iPod touch and do not intend to use Audio-In, disable this. iPhone users should leave this alone.

Leave-Alone Daemons
These daemons are crucial to the operation of your device and should not be modified in any way.
•com.apple.fairplayd.plist - This checks the DRM on your legitimately-acquired music and apps.
•com.apple.installd.plist - Deals with app installation.
•com.apple.BTServer.plist - If this daemon is disabled, your device will become extremely slow and unresponsive.
•com.apple.configd+pm.plist - Deals with system configuration.
•com.apple.configd-pm.plist - Also deals with system configuration.
•com.apple.gmmd.plist - A debugging service for your device.
•com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist - DNS. Disable this, and your Internet is completely gone.
•com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist - Also deals with DNS.
•com.apple.locationd.plist - Deals with GPS and location.
•com.apple.mediaserverd.plist - Plays your music and videos.
•com.apple.usbptpd.plist - Allows your device to connect to your computer and charge.
•com.apple.mtmergeprops.plist - Appears to have something to do with the touchscreen. After I deleted this daemon, my screen was unresponsive. This is why you make backups!
•com.apple.SCHelper-embedded.plist - Appears to be a part of the SystemConfiguration framework (Source), so I don't recommend deleting it. If some brave soul wants to try it, go ahead and report back.
•com.apple.SpringBoard.plist - This daemon ensures that SpringBoard launches when you turn your device on. Without this daemon, SpringBoard will not launch. Also, this daemon ensures that you are able to respring your device. If you disable this daemon and attempt to respring, the SpringBoard process will be killed but will not start again.
•com.apple.mobile.lockbot.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but several users have removed it (based on my advice; sorry about that, guys!) and have had to restore as a result. However, I think it's worth noting that I have removed this daemon on my first-gen iPod touch and have encountered no problems. For the time being, however, leave this daemon alone.
•com.apple.mobile.Lockdown.plist - Deals with SIM and network authorization. iPod touch users, even though this daemon seems like it deals with iPhone-only operations, have still had to restore after deleting this daemon. I have removed this daemon on my first-gen iPod touch and have encountered no problems, but apparently I'm the only one who has been this lucky.
•com.apple.itdbprep.plist - Based on the name, this has something to do with syncing music to your device.
•com.apple.itunesstored - Messing with this daemon will cause it to use 100% of your device's CPU periodically. Leave it alone.

Jailbreak Daemons
These are daemons installed by jailbreak applications.
•com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist - This is what drives virtual memory (VM) mods. Delete this daemon only if you want to uninstall any VM hacks you have on your device.
•com.bigboss.sbsettingsd.plist - Related to SBSettings. I would suggest leaving it alone.
•com.imalc.insomnia.plist - Used to keep Insomnia running through resprings and reboots. If you don't want it to do that, disable this.
•com.mxweas.MxT2d.plist - The daemon that allows MxTube to download videos in the background. If disabled, the application will need to be reinstalled; however, if you don't use MxTube and are too lazy to uninstall it, you can disable this daemon.
•com.saurik.Cydia.Startup.plist - It's believed that this daemon deals with the AutoInstall trick for installing .deb files. If you don't know what that is and you don't use it, you can disable this daemon.
•com.saltinbas.free.mem.plist - This daemon is part of the Repeat Memory Free hack that's been floating around lately. Disable this if you no longer want your memory to be freed automatically. (Note: please do not discuss this hack here, as it comes from a forum we aren't allowed to talk about or link to.)
•org.nodomain.scrobbled.plist - The Scrobbler daemon. Disable this if you don't want your music scrobbled anymore.
•com.SPC.SuperCharged.plist - The SuperCharged daemon, which is a virtual memory mod from Cydia. Don't delete this if you want to keep using SuperCharged.
•food.plist - Installed by Comex's Frash plugin. This daemon most likely allows the interpretation of Flash content on webpages.

NOTE! If this tutorial does not specifically mention that a certain daemon is safe to remove, leave it alone. Better safe than sorry. If a certain daemon isn't listed in this tutorial, I don't have it on my device and never will, so asking me if it's safe to delete is not advisable.

After removing all of the unnecessary daemons from my device, my boot time has gone down considerably (50 seconds to reach the SpringBoard, where it was over a minute before I deleted the daemons) and I've gotten up to 64 MB of free RAM. That's half of my device's total RAM, and should be enough for several backgrounded applications.

If you have reliable information that one of the daemons mentioned in this tutorial is described incorrectly (e.g. I say it's safe when it isn't), please post in this thread and PM me immediately so that I can edit this post and hopefully prevent anyone from having to restore their device.

Hope this helped!

Thanks to:
GrooveMachine, for information on the CHUD daemons.
Ezekeel, for information on the AOSNotification daemon.
G8D, for noticing a typo I made while describing how to edit the itunesstored daemon.
xXrkidXx, for information on several iPhone-specific daemons.
Bluefire101, for information on Voice Control-related daemons, food.plist, and com.apple.storage_mounter.plist
Kaydin and ear3ndil, for information about itunesstored's CPU usage problem.
riky2709, for suggesting a better way to make a backup that doesn't involve messing around with permissions.
metakirbyknight, for the function of the com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor daemon.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Very interesting! I will see what other more advanced hackers do with this, and will probably try it / post my results here.

Could it improve battery life? Mine is SO bad

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Very interesting! I will see what other more advanced hackers do with this, and will probably try it / post my results here.

Could it improve battery life? Mine is SO bad

I think it will improve both battery life and free up RAM.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
That's nothing new. Thanks for sharing, though. :)
Also, it's common sense that getting rid of excess background processes that you can't see will speed up your phone.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Okay I went through and deleted some stuff. I have "launchdemons.backup" without anything deleted, and put it in system/library/

Does this mean that deleting what i deleted out of the other folder does nothing? Where does the backup go on the phone?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Deleted all of the 'safe' plists and many of the conditional ones, and all of the others (if I didn't use them or have a need for them). I kept the push notification ones and several others that I needed/used, but all in all deleted probably around 15-20 plists.

I don't notice anything different? Boot time didn't seem noticeably different and I haven't noticed anything so far...but no negative effects yet either. Made a back up just in case. If nothing else maybe I'll get something out of my battery. I have a launch day IP4 so being a 1 year old battery now is taking its toll. :)

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Deleted all of the 'safe' plists and many of the conditional ones, and all of the others (if I didn't use them or have a need for them). I kept the push notification ones and several others that I needed/used, but all in all deleted probably around 15-20 plists.

I don't notice anything different? Boot time didn't seem noticeably different and I haven't noticed anything so far...but no negative effects yet either. Made a back up just in case. If nothing else maybe I'll get something out of my battery. I have a launch day IP4 so being a 1 year old battery now is taking its toll. :)

I didnt either, but then I got home from what i thought was a heavy usage day and was surprised at extra battery.
I also found that my phone just seemed a little smoother.
granted I did clean the entire phone, not just the deamons.. so maybe it was something else but I feel like this is a no brainer if it has no adverse effects

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
How do we remove the extra language packs?

You can download SH files (not to be confused with SSH or SHSH :D) and then SSH into the phone using WinSCP and put it in the root folder I'm pretty sure (it's been a while) and then run terminal on the phone (available from cydia's xsellize repo for 4.x.x) and run the file. Some language removal "applications" with allow you to pick and choose from inside the terminal which langs you would like to delete while other ones just delete everything except english and japanese.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Why go through all this trouble when you can download FakeClockUp for free and see instant results?

FCU is okay but decent at best. While you will see an indisputable increase in the UI kit, I find that even if it opens a window quicker, it's still going to take a while for the data itself to load. I had a 3G before I sold it, and I often saw a white screen for several seconds before seeing what the page was supposed to display. This fix is pretty much like duct tape. Sure, the screens will open quicker, but staring at the white background for several seconds is just as annoying as it taking that long for the window to open period.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
FCU is okay but decent at best. While you will see an indisputable increase in the UI kit, I find that even if it opens a window quicker, it's still going to take a while for the data itself to load. I had a 3G before I sold it, and I often saw a white screen for several seconds before seeing what the page was supposed to display. This fix is pretty much like duct tape. Sure, the screens will open quicker, but staring at the white background for several seconds is just as annoying as it taking that long for the window to open period.

what program would you recommend for taking out language packs? I installed openssh and have winscp, but I'm not sure where to go from there. i did a bunch of google searching and only came up with stuff for older firmwares.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Thanks for this! I deleted most of the safe daemons and a few conditional ones, not really a noticeable difference on my ip4. Then again, my phone was running nice and fast before as well. Either way, couldn't hurt!

EDIT: If you want to get rid of language packs I think the easiest way is to install lang2ez from insanelyi's repo. Seems to work fine.

Last edited:

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
thanks! I actually ended up figuring it out because of this. But I did get the daemons deleted (after a back up of course)...I copied the folders of anything altered into my documents.

That's a decent idea. The phone I did this on didn't get the privilege of a backup because I ended up restoring and selling it about an hour later. :p

MadtownCapsFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Could someone be troubled to dumb this down in a big way? I have an ipod touch 2nd generation (I believe), running ios 4.1 and I use an iMac g5 running OS 10.4.11. I have no idea what SSH means or how to do it and I haven't jailbroken my device.

Basic questions - to delete these daemon files must I jailbreak my ipod? Can't I just go into Finder and delete them?? If I do have to jailbreak it, I'm fine with that (it's almost 3 yrs old at this point), especially if it will speed things up as it has become ridiculously sluggish, but I'm not sure where to begin.

I just did a bit of searching and trying to no avail to run redsnow (?), greenpoison (?), etc. none of which seem to run on os x 10.4.11. (My imac is power pc, not intel). Overwhelming to say the least!

Anyway, seems crazy to have to do all this to simply get my ipod touch running faster again, but I'm will to give it a go if I could get some direction. Thanks!

MadtownCapsFan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.