Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Midgard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
San Francisco
So I play the electric bass and I just recently got a new amplifier. It's 60W and I was playing with all the new knobs and jacks and stuff. I came across a few jacks for things like Line Out, Speaker Out, etc. I did something very stupid. I plugged one end of the cable into Speaker Out and I put a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the other side and plugged it into my Macbooks headphone jack. I know, stupid, but I thought it was the jack that made it so I could play music out of my amp. I played one note and I heard a little tick from my macbook and it shut off completely. I pressed the startup button and it turned on like normal everything was working fine. The speakers work fine but when I plug in my headphones, I only hear audio from one side (the right side if it matters). I've tried other headphones but the same thing happens... My guess is that all the electricity that went into the jack overpowered it and screwed it up.
So... I don't know what to do. I spend a lot of my time listening to music through my headphones while I'm on the computer. I have an '08 Macbook and I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty. What do I do? Has this ever happened to anybody else?

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
You do realise (now) that a headphone jack on your Mac is an OUTPUT?

So you would never feed a signal INTO it? (Never mind a heavily amplified speaker signal from your guitar amp?) Sheesh.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
You might have blown a fuse or you could have fried a channel, since those amps usualy are only mono, you fried the left channel. (Since you hear audio form the right side it makes sense)

African-Ellz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
So I play the electric bass and I just recently got a new amplifier. It's 60W and I was playing with all the new knobs and jacks and stuff. I came across a few jacks for things like Line Out, Speaker Out, etc. I did something very stupid. I plugged one end of the cable into Speaker Out and I put a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the other side and plugged it into my Macbooks headphone jack. I know, stupid, but I thought it was the jack that made it so I could play music out of my amp. I played one note and I heard a little tick from my macbook and it shut off completely. I pressed the startup button and it turned on like normal everything was working fine. The speakers work fine but when I plug in my headphones, I only hear audio from one side (the right side if it matters). I've tried other headphones but the same thing happens... My guess is that all the electricity that went into the jack overpowered it and screwed it up.
So... I don't know what to do. I spend a lot of my time listening to music through my headphones while I'm on the computer. I have an '08 Macbook and I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty. What do I do? Has this ever happened to anybody else?

There's a possibility that your jack simply caused your plug to short at the connection point, probably due to stress of some kind. happened to me for two headphones in a row within a few seconds and i was completely sure that my macbook air 2012 had a faulty headphone jack. i even tried a third. So i cleaned out my jack and cut open my headphone plug and twisted the pairs and re-separated them, and output from both sides started working ok. There are a couple of youtube vids online demonstrating how to fix a shorted headphone plug. Don't be quick to judge in blaming headphone jack 100%. I was very very close to sending my mac book air 2012 back for replacement and support etc before i stumbled onto my solution. PLease lemme know hw u fixed your situation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.