Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
He never seemed very interested

Larry never seemed very interested in Apple. I suspect he's that guy who never made it to any meetings after the first one.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
if you read The Second Coming of Steve Jobs, you'll learn that Larry Ellison was one of Steve's close friends throughout his NeXT career... they pullled dozens of pranks together and they always were in competition against each other.. in fact (if i remember correctly) larry's company was focusing on creating an internet workstation. when steve found out apple designed the original iMac

it's very interesting book if you want to read about Steve and/or Apple

Future Man

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Yesterday or the day before I read in the Wall Street Journal that Oracle's earnings for this quarter were 30% less that expected. Ellison just lost a third of his business to this slump. He is probably more busy now than ever trying to recover lost ground.
And yes Ellison and Jobs are very good friends and I'm sure Jobs loves the opportunity to have him on the board.

P.S. I was just in the Bay Area and I noticed that you can see Oracle's Headquarters form the 101 somewhere between Palo Alto and San Fran. I must say that as no fan of modern corporate architecture, This is a very impressive and interesting looking set of buildings.

P.P.S. I was staying in Palo Alto while there and I ended up buying a 10gig iPod. I have almost never been so excited and all around pleased about an electronic product in all my life. Get one; it’s worth the money.

Future Man

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Re: He never seemed very interested

Originally posted by oldMac
Larry never seemed very interested in Apple. I suspect he's that guy who never made it to any meetings after the first one.

Yes he was back in 97. In fact, according to an interview with Larry, he walked into his brokers (I think) office one day and said he wanted to buy Apple. But then, after hearing about all the legal hurdles he would encounter (like how Steve also happened to be his good friend) etc., he decided not to buy.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
It's a good thing larry left the board too. Boards are supposed to be a collection of independent members who can govern a company rationally and objectively. Apple's board is full of steve's buddies and high-ups from apple's distributors. A bunch of yes-men if you ask me. We need Warren Buffet on the board!!!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.