Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoomLens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I usually type 80 words per minute, so what external keyboard is best for my iPad? I tried one of the ones that's made for iPads, but they're very uncomfortable... are there full-size keyboards that can be connected to the iPad either with or without wires?

On the iPad's on-screen keyboard, I can only type a pathetic 20 words per minute, even after two days of practice... :(

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Any Bluetooth keyboard works. You could probably find less overpriced ones with regular mechanical buttons for maximum feedback.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
I usually type 80 words per minute, so what external keyboard is best for my iPad? I tried one of the ones that's made for iPads, but they're very uncomfortable... are there full-size keyboards that can be connected to the iPad either with or without wires?

On the iPad's on-screen keyboard, I can only type a pathetic 20 words per minute, even after two days of practice... :(

I can type at least 80WPM on the iPhone but less on the iPad. It's funny how a bigger on-screen keyboard makes typing harder.

hoanganh

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2011
does the ipad really need a physical keyboard?
yesterday, i wrote a 2500 words essay on the iPad and felt totally fine!

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
^ ^ ^

This, I have no qualms at all with using the iPad keyboard for lengthy assignments. I think if you've gone from 80 words down to 20 there is some other factor at play. Maybe you need to adjust the angle you are using it at.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I type about that speed as well (depending on the language I am using). I use the bluetooth Apple keyboard. It has a great feel and is quite possibly one of the most beautifully designed things I own. I love it.

If you practice with the iPad you can probably increase your speed. Unfortunately, in my case I produce many more errors without the tactile response of the keys, my fingers tire more quickly, and I am only able to get up to about 40 or so words per minute.

You'll probably want to get a sleeve for the external keyboard if you intend to carry it around (I recommend SF Waterfield). Also, I use a collapsible book stand so I don't have to use portrait mode (I recommend BookGem).

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
^ ^ ^

This, I have no qualms at all with using the iPad keyboard for lengthy assignments. I think if you've gone from 80 words down to 20 there is some other factor at play. Maybe you need to adjust the angle you are using it at.

if you think this then you dont know what it is to touch type.

and if you understand how the multitouch capacitive screen works on the ipad as well as having a smooth, glass display with no tactile key response, you'll know that touch typing the way most have learned to do on a traditional keyboard is impossible to do on the ipad.

dont assume your limited scope of experience applies in your ignorance.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
if you think this then you dont know what it is to touch type.

and if you understand how the multitouch capacitive screen works on the ipad as well as having a smooth, glass display with no tactile key response, you'll know that touch typing the way most have learned to do on a traditional keyboard is impossible to do on the ipad.

dont assume your limited scope of experience applies in your ignorance.

That's exactly it, you can't use the ipad's keyboard the way "most have learned to do on a traditional keyboard" because it's not a traditional keyboard. You need to learn to adjust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.