Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appupdates1.jpg

In the days leading to WWDC, Apple's iTunes seems to have leaked a new feature that must be coming in iOS 5. When asking iTunes to check your app library for updates, the above screen reveals a new feature that must be coming. The following line as been added to the My App Updates screen:
Or if your device has Automatic Download enabled for apps, your updates will download to your device without having to sync.
Such a setting doesn't exist in iOS at present, which suggests that you will be able to automatically get app updates to your device. Presently, users must either sync or download the updates themselves manually through the App Store app.

It also suggests that there is an Automatic Download setting for other items besides apps. Apple has been rumored to be making a push into over-the-air updates as well as some sort of wireless syncing. Rumors of AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule updates have also hinted at such a feature.

WWDC kicks off on Monday with a keynote from Steve Jobs who will detail Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud.

Article Link: iTunes Leaks 'Automatic Download' Over-the-Air Updates in iOS 5

Last edited by a moderator:

ridley182

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
The OC
Sounds like a nice feature, as long as it doesn't impact battery life in a negative way.

Monday seems so far away.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Interesting feature.

But what's so hard about pressing "update all" when you are on wifi? No computer needed.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Sounds like Apple is taking a different approach rather than direct over-the-air syncing, as it likely would have been too hard for the battery to cope. Reminds me of multitasking implementation in iOS 4. Instead of simply implementing backgrounding for applications, Apple did it the best way they saw fit.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
NICE - I've been waiting for this to happen one of these days - now if we could only synch wirelessly too. :D

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I'm glad it looks like we'll be able to turn this off. I don't want apps downloading in the background and sucking up battery life. On the computer it's great, but not on my phone.

I'm really hoping for wireless syncing.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Seems interesting that the sentence in the leaked screenshot starts with "Or". Who starts a sentence with "Or"? A hoax perhaps?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda weird this is in iTunes already--not because it's before the keynote, but because there's no way iOS 5 will be released to non-developers Monday.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Seems interesting that the sentence in the leaked screenshot starts with "Or". Who starts a sentence with "Or"? A hoax perhaps?

you can verify yourself in itunes. it shows up in mine.

arn

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Could just be referring to AppleTV which is ios and automatically updates over the air

jeremyblevins

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Could just be referring to AppleTV which is ios and automatically updates over the air

For my app updates?

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
is this going to be a feature att or carriers can charge to have or do people think it will be a wifi only thing. omg these next 3 days will be so slowwwww :eek:

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda weird this is in iTunes already--not because it's before the keynote, but because there's no way iOS 5 will be released to non-developers Monday.

Perhaps Apple will release iOS 5 beta to devs this week, and this verbiage is in there for devs to also test this feature in addition to their apps.

scarnie

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Feature for apps is already there

In 4.x you can do OTA updates for Ad Hoc builds, and it works great. Additionally, you have always been able to go in to App Store on your iOS device and download updates directly to your device without syncing (unrestricted on WiFi)…

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I wonder if apple will introduce optional automatic updates for the Mac App Store as well.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Sounds like a nice feature, as long as it doesn't impact battery life in a negative way.

Monday seems so far away.

I find this humorous, because Apple made sure Multitasking didn't kill battery performance. Apple is all about Batteries, so I'm sure if they have this they won't impact. Besides the App Store already syncs to there serve automatically to find updates periodically, so it may not be much more trouble for them to just go ahead and background this, also might be why they need the high chips and won't be supported on iPhone 3Gs, and early iPod Touches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.