Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwollsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
oK a little history first....About 3 months ago I found a 32 gig, 3rd generation (I think) Ipod touch at a local lake/park. I turned it into the park ranger and also noitified the sherrif dept. We also put up flyers. No one ever claimed it so they returned it to me. I went and got an USB cord for it (ouch) and charged it with my computer. Once it was charged I found out a couple of things...one it's called S***'s Ipod, it probably belongs to a young lady, it was passcode protected, and it had a picture on the wallpaper. So I put an ad in the paper thinking that the owner was probably frantic. I got a few calls but none that could identify, the name, picture or passcode. I contacted Apple but they said without a serial number there wasn't anything they could do. We don't have a local Apple store.

Now I know from past experience that you can put them in restore mode and get past the passcode. BUT I also know that it will wipe the drive and you'll loose everything. I really didn't want to do that because I was hoping to find something that would identify the owener. I finally came to the conclusion I wasn't going to find the owner unless I could get the serial number. Couldn't get the serial number without the passcode so I tried to restore it, couldn't do it. I tried first turning it off, holding the home button plugging in the usb cable ...no go went right into boot and to the keypad. with Itunes telling me that it was password protected. (duh:eek:) So I tried the hold the power button and home button...same thing. I tried every method on the web, watched a ton of video but still got the same thing. So getting frustrated I tried going into DFU mode. I tried everything. I tried all sorts of little computer programs like GreenPoision and others. Never could get it into DFU mode. I worked on this thing from 10pm until 5am.

Now I'm not an idiot I've been working on computers and "stuff" since the late 70's when a computer took up a whole room. (Yeah I'm a grandma several times over) But I can't figure this out. It makes NO since. I'm wondering if maybe it's a jailbroke ipod that you can't restore? Or maybe it has some type of security that I don't know about? Any Ideas? Honestly even if I can't find the owner I've invested enought time and money in this thing I'd use it myself. But I mostly want to do it now because I can't. yeah I'm a little stubborn HELP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.