Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do you think a Finder alternative would be allowed in the MAS?

If you want to create one, frankly what we think is irrelevant. You would be doing the work, so it's your responsibility. I wouldn't dare taking the responsibility for what would be a major investment on your side. You should first find the relevant documents that Apple provides, and read them very, very carefully. Then you might try contacting someone at Apple, and / or contacting a lawyer.

Anything that disables the existing Finder is very, very unlikely to be allowed.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
On top of whether it would be allowed, Finder is pretty intimately connected to the OS so I think you would have even more trouble getting it to work properly than getting it approved. If you are just talking about creating a file manager that can be used in addition to Finder, I don't see why that would not be allowed. But then again I'm not an app reviewer.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Do you think a Finder alternative would be allowed in the MAS?

This thread on the Cocoatech forums in regards to Path Finder being in the Mac App Store might be interesting to you.

Quote by Matry_CF from Cocoatech in that thread
We are looking into it. It may be something we decide against, even if they do allow us on the store, which is doubtful.

The rules for who can be on the store explicitly state that the product can not be something Apple already sells, or look like something Apple sells. We also violate a few other rules for submission with regards to how we elevate privs to get some file moves done.

If we have to brain damage Path Finder to allow it to be sold on the store, it is probably not worth it for anyone involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.