Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I feel like chucking my MBA out of the window! I manually made my multi boot partitions with disk utility instead of using the bootcamp assistant. Now I need the Windows drivers and it will not let me install them without removing those partitions (and BOTH of the operating systems).

It's ridiculous that they designed bootcamp assistant to halt on an error with partitions before actually allowing you to download the support files. Am I screwed? Do I have to lose my partitions and use the primitive assistant in order to get those files?

Please help!

Using 2010 MBA

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
options

I've had similar problems in the past:
partitioned for data and for OS
Partitioned for Mac and Windows.

In both cases found I could not use Boot camp assistant.

If it is critical to keep both of the partitions you have then I suggest that you use Superdupa to do a disk clone and then reinstall everything (you can boot up using the clone to check everything is working first).

I tend to use Fusion or Parallels now. This solves the issues you have and it also is more stable (I had a bootcamp drive fail on me in the past - not recognised on start up). I've currently got Fusion on the mba and Parallels on imac. They are both good but I'm thinking that Parallels is marginally better on mba as
a) it does not need bootcamp drivers (and it is a pain to install these on mba)
b) I believe it is more dynamic in sharing memory - that is you don't use all the RAM allocated to the VM unless the VM needs it. Not 100% sure on this point though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.