Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Austin M.
macrumors 6502a

G-Form Extreme Sleeve for iPad 1 & 2 (Review)

G-Form, known for making some very protective gear and apparel for athletes, have recently unveiled their new line of IPad cases. Their Extreme Sleeve for both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 feature a shock absorbing foam like material on the outside, and a very soft inner lining to keep your iPad nice and cozy. The G-Form Extreme Sleeve protects your iPad or iPad 2 from impact by utilizing RPT-Reactive Protection Technology, a combination of PORON XRD material and proprietary G-Form design and manufacturing. The Extreme Sleeve is water resistant, soft, flexible, lightweight and changes its molecular structure on impact. So, will the G-Form Extreme Sleeve for iPad 1 and 2 stand up to some of the other sleeves available on the market?

As with all of my reviews, let's take a quick look at what the Extreme Sleeve comes packaged in as well as the installation process. The Extreme Sleeve came in a very simple plastic box that only included the sleeve itself, no other goodies to be found here. As far as the installation goes, installing my iPad in the Extreme Sleeve was very easy. I simply slid my iPad into the top where the zipper opening was. However, I did notice a small problem right of the back. Both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 were very tight fitting around the corners and the sides due to the fact that the sides and the corners are very form fitting to the dimensions of the iPad, so it may take a few tries to actually get the iPad in the case itself. A small problem, but still a problem nonetheless.

Now that we have the iPad installed inside the Extreme Sleeve, let's take a quick tour around the perimeter of the sleeve. On both the top and bottom of the Extreme Sleeve you will find what appears to be some type of memory foam that is what G-Form uses to enhance shock and drop protection. Both the top and the bottom of the case have a very curved design to them and look rather retro in my opinion. The only opening present in the case is where you insert the iPad, located at the top where the zipper is. As I said in the beginning of the review, the case is very tight fitting which may be somewhat of a problem. Lastly, I did find that the zipper may be a challenge to zip shut which may be due to the fact that the sleeve fits snugly around the corners of the iPad, which also raised another issue of me worrying that the corners of my iPad may become scratched up where the zipper closes.

Everything aside, how does the Extreme Sleeve work as protective case for the iPad? Short term, it works like a charm. I wont be doing any drop tests or anything of that sort, but there are enough videos all over YouTube showcasing the sheer protection that the Extreme Sleeve provides. The company itself shows the Extreme Sleeve being smashed with a bowling ball and falling from hundreds of feet without any scratches or damages to the iPad. Also, if you watch SoldierKnowsBest's video on the Extreme Sleeve, you will see him not only smashing the sleeve with a hammer, but also running over the sleeve with his car, with no damage done to the iPad at all. So I can definitely reassure everyone that the Extreme Sleeve will take a beating through almost anything that you can throw at it.

So, what do I think overall of the G-Form Extreme Sleeve for the iPad 1 and the iPad 2? Well, it definitely has a few minor flaws when it comes to fitment and basic things along those lines. Even with these simple comebacks, the Extreme Sleeve for the iPad delivers deeply when it comes to simpleness, design, and powerful protection. Those looking for a very protective sleeve or case will definitely enjoy all the features that the Extreme Sleeve has to offer. You can pick up the Extreme Sleeve for the iPad 1 and 2 over at G-Form’s website for $60.

Rating: 4/5

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories