Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I am sure I'm not the only one who had a MobileMe account and an iTunes account that use different AppleID's. I'm wondering how that is going to be handled by iCloud since iCloud seems to a merging of MobileMe and iTunes features.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
MobileMe and iTunes accounts separate. iCloud issue?

Hey

I have 2 apple accounts. 1 for iTunes purchases and 1 for MobileMe.

If MobileMe is to become iCloud and integrate iTunes elements how would this work with the 2 accounts?

Would apple let me merge my iTunes account with my MobileMe (iCloud) account? I need to keep my @me.com email address and I don't want to lose the record of previous iTunes purchases by using MobileMe (iCloud) for iTunes.

Thanks in advance!

RDowson

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm really hoping they allow us to merge the 2 accounts. It can't be that hard. After all, you can change your iTunes account name so how hard can it be to merge the 2!

Makes things much easier with the 1 apple ID too! :)

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
I desired this the moment I joined MobileMe, why they "couldn't" do it was beyond me. One would think that meshing the iTunes info with the MM info would be a simple task. Just change the user name on the iTunes account. For some reason they acted as though it was like trying to alter a birth certificate.

RobS-UK

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Bristol, UK
There are two of us in this household in this situation. While this has previously been a minor inconvenience it now seems to become an absolute necessity.

One thing I've noticed about the MobileMe support document that has been put up tonight is the implication that you will have to transition your account somehow (before June 30th next year). Hopefully as part of this transition process Apple will be able to sort this.

There must be lots of people in this position - after all the much discussed halo effect of the iPod means a lot of windows users who would have not had access to .Mac or mobile me coming to Mac who brought an ID with them.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I'm in the same boat: 1 itunes account for music and apps, 1 for mobileme. (2 apple ids)

In fact, anyone that had an itunes account and subsequently signed up for mobile me later is in the same boat - which must be a lot of people! So far, Apple won't let us combine our itunes and mobileme accounts.

With iCloud, would I either have to pick one or the other? I'd have to give up my @me account since I certainly don't want to lose all my purchases in iTunes. :confused:

RobS-UK

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Bristol, UK
With iCloud, would I either have to pick one or the other? I'd have to give up my @me account since I certainly don't want to lose all my purchases in iTunes. :confused:

I don't think Apple will be so naive to think that we'll all be happy losing either access to our purchases, or our email accounts (which for many people would be a pain to change). Hopefully there will be an elegant solution by the time "fall" comes around.

aresinferno

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I am pretty sure that everyone who started using iTunes or any iDevice before MobileMe has at least two accounts. It was ridiculous that the creation of a MobileMe account automatically created a new iTunes account linked to it.

It would be a nightmare if the two can't be merged somehow. Perhaps the old MobileMe accounts can be reassigned to other iTunes accounts.

Currently I have a firstname.lastname AppleID that I use to download applications and occasionally music. As it does not use an email address as the username, it can't be used for FindMyiPhone. I also have a MobileMe account that is firstname.lastname@me.com, which has set up it's own AppleID with the e-mail as the username. I want to keep the e-mail address but also all of my purchases.

I really do not trust apple with being able to make what I want work. There must be some kind of workaround that we can use.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Well considering this has been a known problem for years, I also don't have much hope Apple will let us merge accounts. Otherwise they would've done this a while ago. But who knows...they did have some surprises today.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I really hope they allow us to merge our iTunes accounts to our me.com address. This has been bugging me for a long time and I hope the transition period finally brings a solution or this could potentially be very annoying.

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
This seems like a situation many people are in. Also, currently you can have multiple iTunes accounts authorized on one device and can sign in and out of applications (itunes, ibooks, appstore) as you wish. Hopefully iCloud integration will be smoother than the migration from .Mac to MobileMe was. One support article saying transition information will be provided at a later point obviously worries people given the issues with the previous migration. Here's to hoping we can keep popular services like iDisk and Galleries!

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2008
Me account not used as Apple ID...

I use my gmail address as my Apple ID. I did this long before I ever signed up for MM. iCloud uses an @me address.

How do I change my Apple ID to my @me address (it's not as simple as just changing the address in iTunes as it's an active account).

Thanks for any help.

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Not possible at the moment. Something Apple is going to have to address in the coming months. Send them Feedback about the issue to remind them as many others have done.

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2008
I will try, though every time I type out "MobileMe" it takes me a few hours to calm down from a complete fit of crap product rage.

:)

Redfanix

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 itunes accounts in iCloud???

i have basicly same problem... i have one apple ID associated with mobileme and Slovakia AppStore and one apple ID associated with US iTunes and AppStore to buy music and apps that are US only, or are cheaper to buy with US gift cards... So, can anyone with iOS5 beta tell me how can i handle 2 itunes account with different coutries in iCloud? Till now i have iTunes on my Mac authorized to ise both iTunes accounts and on my iphone i use a lot switching from one to another account to buy or update apps...

Thanks in advance

G8AMB

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Mobile Me account different to itunes

Anybody got any ideas on this one?

I have a different account for my itunes/app store purchases than for my Mobile Me.

I started using itunes to buy music initially when I only had a PC and set up an itunes account with my own email address.

Later I bought a Mac and set up a mac.com account. At the time I remember asking if I could merge my existing account - but wasn't able to do this.

My .mac account has now obviously changed to a mobileme one.

But all this talk of icloud has me thinking that I will have to either loose my purchase history (quite a lot of money spent over the years) or loose my me.com email address.

Has anybody got any ideas what they will do?

Is anybody else in the same boat as me?

bLiss

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2005
usa
Not possible at the moment. Something Apple is going to have to address in the coming months. Send them Feedback about the issue to remind them as many others have done.

I also have this issue, my gmail is my Apple ID but I have a me.com as well. I believe I read somewhere that you have to call Apple and have them make the switch, but I have procrastinated for a long time. No doubt this will be more confusing now*– but considering that many, many people likely use gmail, yahoo, or anything else for their Apple ID, they'll have to have SOME kind of merge solution.

Jsingh

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
I'm on the same boat, my iTunes account is a gmail address. I have an existing .me address so i'm thinking there will be an option to merge the account names or even keep both as it is done with Facetime.

BK.

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
PLEASE NOTE: To everyone with a separate MobileMe account and Apple ID

I've seen numerous, numerous threads already about this and I'm just a basic lurker!

A lot of people are "complaining" about having a MobileMe account and a separate Apple ID. They use their MobileMe account (name@me.com) for e-mail/contacts/calendar etc. and their separate ID for iTunes and the app store etc. (e.g. name@gmail.com, name@yahoo.com). People asking what happens when they switch to iCloud and they have two separate accounts and won't be able to use them both separately anymore. Well, perhaps I'm just being ridiculously stupid (and honestly, there is a very, very, very high chance of this! But if it helps anyone, then it is worth a shot...) but you can change your Apple ID e-mail address to any e-mail address you wish -- and have been able to for some time :confused: I've done it myself on 2/3 occasions already, months/years apart.

https://appleid.apple.com/

Click "Manage my Apple ID", login with the account you currently use for iTunes/app store etc. and then once logged in, you can change your primary e-mail address from you@aol.com or whatever your Apple ID is currently set to, to be your MobileMe ID i.e. you@me.com. A verification e-mail will be sent to your "new" e-mail address (in this case your @me.com) address and then you should be done.

Relogin to iTunes/app store etc. with your @me.com address, which is also now your Apple ID. Your purchases etc. are linked to your Apple ID account, not the actual address you type to login, so they should work fine. You should just have to relogin to iTunes etc. (It may take a few hours for the chances to propagate).

I'm NOT saying this definitely will work, and offer absolutely NO guarantee whatsoever, but -- it's worth a try. I've changed the e-mail address associated with my Apple ID numerous times and it worked fine. Used to use a @msn.com address for my Apple ID, then I upgraded to @me.com so I changed it to use that for my Apple ID, now I use Gmail so I changed it to use Gmail as my Apple ID. When iCloud comes, I'll switch back to using @me.com.

Like I said, no guarantees it will definitely work, but having changed my 'primary e-mail address' associated with my Apple ID three times in the past, i can't see what the fuss is about :p

G8AMB

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
itunes support

Just been looking in the itunes help section of apple.com and it seems there is an option to update your email address for your itunes account now.

Has anybody dones this?

G8AMB

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
I have this problem too.

I have been looking at itunes help and you can update the email address for your account.

Has anyone tried changing thier itunes account to match thier mobileme email address.

Does this achieve anything?

Apollo1988

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
You don't think we have tried this?

The problem is that when you create a MobileMe account a new AppleID is made for that MobileMe account, which cannot be closed unless you close MobileMe.

You can not change the email on your other iTunes account to the @me one as it is used by another AppleID.

BK.

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
You don't think we have tried this?

The problem is that when you create a MobileMe account a new AppleID is made for that MobileMe account, which cannot be closed unless you close MobileMe.

You can not change the email on your other iTunes account to the @me one as it is used by another AppleID.

You can because I did.

I created a MobileMe account and switched my Apple ID from an @msn.com to a @me.com account. Worked just fine. Then went from @me.com to @gmail.com. Again, worked just fine.

This was about two months ago; so perhaos thing changed - try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.