Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Oh man, Apple didnt leave anything for my wishlist today. Maybe widgets but they werent in the wishlist to begin with. Can keep it empty so gimme widgets apple. Even if I dont need them, I want them coz everything else I wanted, iOS 5 has it already :D

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
This has been available to developers for a bit now. Glad they are making it for all tho. I use this feature all the time!

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Yep, win. So glad they've made this standard. I use it all the time and was starting to get shirty about the idea of having to redo the Xcode thing regularly...

Gilly Gil

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Im very happy with the features they've added. Makes me even more excited since I just picked one up today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

iOS 5 includes a few new moves and shortcuts to help you get around even quicker on your iPad: Using four or five fingers, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, pinch to return to the Home screen, and swipe left or right to switch between apps.

Hurray!

So did they fix the Lock Screen Lock-Up issue?

For those who don't know what that is, try this. Of course you have to have Gestures enabled

1) At the home screen, 4-5 Finger Pinch (I know I know, why would I do that when it does nothing. Just follow along)

2) Now put you iPad to sleep using the Sleep/Wake button.

3) Wake and try to "Slide to Unlock"

That's the Lock Screen Lock-Up

To get out of it you need to ReBoot.

Last edited:

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I just installed iOS 5 and I don't seem to have an option to turn on gestures like I did in 4.3.

Anybody? Is this something to turn on or should it be on by default?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

iOS 5 includes a few new moves and shortcuts to help you get around even quicker on your iPad: Using four or five fingers, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, pinch to return to the Home screen, and swipe left or right to switch between apps.

Hurray!

those multi-gestures can be enabled on your iOS 4.x tablet now, without jail-breaking or buying xcode.

it looks like they added a few new ones in iOS5.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
So did they fix the Lock Screen Lock-Up issue?

For those who don't know what that is, try this. Of course you have to have Gestures enabled

1) At the home screen, 4-5 Finger Pinch (I know I know, why would I do that when it does nothing. Just follow along)

2) Now put you iPad to sleep using the Sleep/Wake button.

3) Wake and try to "Slide to Unlock"

That's the Lock Screen Lock-Up

To get out of it you need to ReBoot.

Wow it's funny I never ran into it, but just tried it and it's true. One thing you have wrong though, reboot not needed, just do the reverse (expand using 4-5 fingers) from the lock screen. That resolves it

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Wow it's funny I never ran into it, but just tried it and it's true. One thing you have wrong though, reboot not needed, just do the reverse (expand using 4-5 fingers) from the lock screen. That resolves it

Really? Doesn't work for me, I have to reboot. What version of iOS are you running?

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Really? Doesn't work for me, I have to reboot. What version of iOS are you running?

I can't seem to get the freeze on iOS 5... but I was able to on 4.3.X...
You do not have to reboot... you just have to wait a min or so and the slider will work again. To pass time I would rotate my ipad, then I was able to move the slider again.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Question for someone who used multitasking gestures on 4.x and iOS 5

On my iPad 2 (4.3.3) when I use the 4 finger swipe from app to app I notiice a slight delay before the next app is responsive. Ex- going from mail to safari, there is a 1 or 2 second delay before safari is scrollable.

Does this still exist in iOS 5 or have they been optimized?

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Maybe it's me being thick, but I can't seem to get the gestures to work. Do they have to be enabled in Settings?

Running iOS 5 on a first gen iPad.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I installed the itunes beta and downloaded the iOS 5 beta. What's the process for installing it on an iPad2? Yes, I am a paid iOS developer but this is my first try at doing this.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Question for someone who used multitasking gestures on 4.x and iOS 5

On my iPad 2 (4.3.3) when I use the 4 finger swipe from app to app I notiice a slight delay before the next app is responsive. Ex- going from mail to safari, there is a 1 or 2 second delay before safari is scrollable.

Does this still exist in iOS 5 or have they been optimized?

There is no lag!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
those multi-gestures can be enabled on your iOS 4.x tablet now, without jail-breaking or buying xcode.

it looks like they added a few new ones in iOS5.

Really? How do you do that?

Google is a really handy way to answer many questions quickly.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=enable+gestures+ipad+ios+4.3

The only part I'll add is that if the version 3 xcode is still available on the free version of the developer account (developer.apple.com), then no need to spend $5 for xcode v4.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Are the "new" gestures only available on iPad 2 running iOS 5?
I don't see them on my iPad 1 or any settings

Gorki247

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Bristol, UK
Google is a really handy way to answer many questions quickly.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=enable+gestures+ipad+ios+4.3

The only part I'll add is that if the version 3 xcode is still available on the free version of the developer account (developer.apple.com), then no need to spend $5 for xcode v4.

OK, I misunderstood. I thought he meant without using xcode (and thus a developer account) at all. Should learn to read properly as he did write 'without buying'. My mistake :eek:

yugushen

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
I used the Xcode trick to enable it on my iPad 2. Having used it for weeks, absolutely love it.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
OK, I misunderstood. I thought he meant without using xcode (and thus a developer account) at all. Should learn to read properly as he did write 'without buying'. My mistake :eek:

No problem, happens to all of us sometime.

There's also a way to do it via Windows, but I've not tried it (I used the free xcode3 for my ipad1 then later on my ipad2). Link: http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

Glad the gestures are supposed to be in iOS5. Once you get used to them, it'd be difficult to go back.

Dave6195

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
No problem, happens to all of us sometime.

There's also a way to do it via Windows, but I've not tried it (I used the free xcode3 for my ipad1 then later on my ipad2). Link: http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

Glad the gestures are supposed to be in iOS5. Once you get used to them, it'd be difficult to go back.

Was just about to post the above link. Used it a few weeks ago and works perfectly on iPad 2 (4.3.3).

Could not use my iPad without them now, delighted they are standard for iOS 5.

hoanganh

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2011
another bug of gestures in 4.3.x is when you use facetime! the gestures will go crazy, cannot control anything!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.