Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

Automatic Reference Counting ?

On the iOS 5 technology page in the dev center it says:
Automatic Reference Counting (ARC) for Objective-C makes memory management the job of the compiler. By enabling ARC with the new Apple LLVM compiler, you will never need to type retain or release again, dramatically simplifying the development process, while reducing crashes and memory leaks. The compiler has a complete understanding of your objects, and releases each object the instant it is no longer used, so apps run as fast as ever, with predictable, smooth performance.

Was this in there before?
Branskins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:34 PM   #2
robbieduncan

Sounds very cool. All the advantages of garbage collection without the overheads!
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:16 AM   #3
jnoxx
macrumors 65816

So this means alot more newbie developers will have a try to this iOS development. oh oh..
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

Watch out
Branskins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoxx View Post
So this means alot more newbie developers will have a try to this iOS development. oh oh..
Or experienced developers getting to the nut of the problem quicker.
So the value comes from solving problems for either group, not just from understanding an obscure language.

I know I'm bring forward joining the Dev Program as a newbie because of lots of new API's hinted at in iOS5 that i think are going to make the job of creating the function I want easier. Maybe easier is the wrong word, more direct.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:26 AM   #6
robbieduncan

From the quick scan-through of the documentation there are almost as many rules required for this as there are for the existing memory management rules (which are actually very simple and easy to follow)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:22 AM   #7
odedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
From the quick scan-through of the documentation there are almost as many rules required for this as there are for the existing memory management rules (which are actually very simple and easy to follow)
You just need to stay pure Objective-C and use properties as much as possible. Really not that hard.
odedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:10 AM   #8
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post
You just need to stay pure Objective-C and use properties as much as possible. Really not that hard.
For many I suspect that will be just fine. I have a bit of an issue that I use singletons quite a lot (I suspect this is a stylistic error with my code) and have old-school singletons that follow Apple's recommended code for this from a couple of years back where I override release/autorelease etc thus breaking ARC.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:35 AM   #9
ViviUO
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoxx View Post
You say this as if it's a bad thing. Are people not supposed to learn new things?

If that is in fact what you mean, get over yourself.
ViviUO is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming