Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
PA
My Safari seems to be pretty much buggered up. It won't load any pages, and when it does, it is extremely slow. The status bar shows "Contacting google.com..." and nothing happens.

It seems to be user-specific, since this is only happening on my main, non-admin account. If I log out of that account and log in as admin, everything works fine. I also downloaded Chrome on my main non-admin account and that works fine too, so there's nothing wrong with my connection--it's specific to Safari with my main account.

Both my admin account and my main account are using the same .app in the Applications directory, so it must be something specific to my user settings.

I've tried rebooting, resetting Safari, and deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist, all to no avail.

Any suggestions? (I'm running 10.6.7 and the latest version of Safari).

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
My Safari seems to be pretty much buggered up. It won't load any pages, and when it does, it is extremely slow.

Ok, I'm getting past that contradiction... ;)

Since the plist thing didn't work, and another account is fine, you don't know what it is in the screwed up account that's, well, screwed up. So it's time to migrate to a new account. Don't just delete the messed up account, as you'll lose the Documents folder in it, etc.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Just updated to v5.1 (and am running 10.6.8) in the hopes that that would solve the problem, but no such luck. I'm still having the same issue.

Sorry for bumping, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions other than to dump my current user account.

Thanks.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
So, you don't want to try that, even though the evidence suggests it has a high probability of working for you? There's something wrong in your account. You could spend countless hours trying to find and fix it, and fail. Or, you could abandon the account for one that works. Your choice.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Fixed! And fairly easily too. Don't know why I never looked before (I was preoccupied with the Safari files in ~/Library/Preferences), but in ~/Library there is a "Safari" folder. I simply deleted ~/Library/Safari and reopened Safari--voilà!

I have no idea what specific file was messed up in that folder, but it doesn't matter. Safari recreates the folder and the necessary files at launch. I just had to reimport my previously exported Bookmarks and I'm back in action.

Now I just have to decide if I want to dump Chrome or not.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.