Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
As you all know, you cannot have your own custom tones in iOS 5. Yes, you can buy tones apparently. But I cannot justify spending $0.99 for 3 seconds of audio - or even $0.69.

What if I want to make my own tones in Garageband (like an arpeggio of something)? Or use a soundbite from whatever.

I hope developers send feedback about that.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
iOS 5 is pre-release software. There's still a chance the functionality will be in the release candidate.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
iOS 5 is pre-release software. There's still a chance the functionality will be in the release candidate.

I hope so. I hope devs send feedback to add this feature to make it in the gold master!

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Since this is Beta 1 I'll reserve judgement. I would hope that tones will work just like ringtones in the end. Find something I like, set the time frame, create and AAC version, change the extension and drop it back into iTunes. I'd be OK with that.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Yes this is one feature i really wanted to see, along with easier ringtones. I'd trade that for icloud.

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
This might be overly optimistic but the idea that there's a store for sms tones leads me to believe there will be some sort of user manageable tab in itunes just like ringtones. That should then open it up to the custom arena without having to pay what will most likely be exorbitant prices.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Because he steals the ipsw.

Uhh not sure what that means but I don't have iOS 5 Beta on my device if that's what you're implying. I got my information from the countless blogs/threads about SMS tones.

Too bad your assumption made you look like an ass.

chrisbetty

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
Keep in mind they did say 200 new user features yesterday,Out of those 200,1 of them could be it but if not I agree.It be nice have custom tones

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
The thing is - you can export ringtones from garageband. So it's not like anyone is breaking the rules putting custom tones on their phone. If you click the buy more tones button, there's a button on the top right labelled library. As of now this button doesn't do anything but whose to say.

Also - there's no real way to submit this to apple. This is not a bug reporting issue I don't believe.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
The thing is - you can export ringtones from garageband. So it's not like anyone is breaking the rules putting custom tones on their phone. If you click the buy more tones button, there's a button on the top right labelled library. As of now this button doesn't do anything but whose to say.

Also - there's no real way to submit this to apple. This is not a bug reporting issue I don't believe.

Interesting...guess we'll wait and see!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.