Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Mattlehat
macrumors newbie

iMac keeps losing internet connection

Just recently my iMac (nearly 3 years old) keeps losing connection to the internet.

It happens in both safari and firefox, but not in Mail. However when streaming live radio or downloading files from rapidshare in safari the connection does not drop and the stream/download continues despite the browser not being able to open web pages.

To correct it I have to turn off the iMac's wifi (so that the antenna symbol in the top right corner disappears) and then turn it back on.

This happens almost every half hour!
How can I correct it?

Thanks
Matt
Mattlehat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:33 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

It's likely a problem with your networking equipment. Does it happen if you plug into your router or modem with an ethernet cable?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Mattlehat
macrumors newbie

I haven't tried that - it's a bit awkward to move the iMac down to where the router is - but I will give it a go tonight. Both my wife and my iPhones & iPad are fine and when using our work PC's there has been no issues.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Mattlehat
macrumors newbie

Have been using my mac mini on the wifi connection this evening with no problems at all so think the issue must be with the iMac.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Mattlehat
macrumors newbie

Could really do with some help on this?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:54 AM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

Did you plug the iMac in?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:06 AM   #7
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Friend had this issue and he just bought a new Airport Extreme, issue resolved. So my suggestion is buy a new router.
iPhone 5s 16gb
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Mattlehat
macrumors newbie

Yes I did and there were no problems for the short period of time that I tested it. The problem only seems to be with my iMac as my MacMini doesn't seem to be affected.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:12 AM   #9
miles01110
macrumors 604

Is your iMac and Mac Mini co-located in the same room? How far away from the router is it? What frequency space does your network (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) use? Are there any sources of interference (metal, thick walls) between the router and the iMac?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Mattlehat
macrumors newbie

The MacMini is much nearer and goes through no walls. The iMac signal needs to go through walls and floor (though this has always been the case and the problem is recent)

Not sure about the frequency space?

There was never a problem before, and it only affects web pages loading, not radio streams or downloads such as megaupload etc.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:49 AM   #11
anthonybc78
macrumors newbie

Have you fixed this? Ive found this problem has been happening to other people. We just bought an imac (2011 model). And this problem has been happening to me for a couple months. I have to keep turning off airport and turning it back on, I cant stream movies, play games, etc. This is what we have done:

1. Called apple support (4-5 times so far).
2. Changed the frequency channel to 9 (as not to be on the same channel as my neighbors).
3. Changed frequency rate.
4. Brand new netgear router. If I hardwire an ethernet cord, I am ok. All other devices work (PS3, Ipad2, Iphones, Ipods, etc). The techs if they cant figure it out may chalk it up to other things causing interference (baby monitor, microwave, etc), but it doesn't make sense if the other devices NEVER lose connection, but the imac does every few minutes.
5. Changed DNS settings.
6. Deleted network settings manually and restart.

Once again, if I hardwire, I have connection. This is strictly a wifi/airport connection. My computer has the latest patches and all other devices work. As well it is about 20 feet from the router with nothing blocking it. I have not found a working fix to this. All I can say is that I moved a month ago, and prior to the move i didn't have problems (but I only had the imac for like a month prior to the move).

Here is what I think might be a problem:

Router incompatibility issue with imac (although Ive heard people having problems with the airport extreme).

Aliens.

DEFECTIVE airport card in my iMac. Im thinking its either cheap or just buggy. Apple is famous for implementing parts from all over the world into one product. Maybe not all models, but I feel some imacs have been having airport issues, and they need to be recalled.

EDIT, I took my imac to the store and they are replacing the aircard. I guess ill find out if it is it or not

Last edited by anthonybc78; Aug 12, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
anthonybc78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:22 PM   #12
jodave98
macrumors newbie

Did replacing the airport card solve the problem?
jodave98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help