Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossmorgan29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
A while back I suffered a power outage. Kinda when I first got my iMac. I don't remember being able to hear the hard drive at all before that but now when the computer is working I can hear a faint clicking sound. It's not loud, but I just don't recall ever hearing anything before. The other reason I'm concerned is that of course my iMac has a 1 Tb 7200 rpm hard drive. But when I run the black magic hard drive speed test from the Mac app store my hard drive rates REALLY LOW. I just don't see how this could be. the hard drive isnt remotely full, i havent quite used 200 gb worth of space... The computer doesn't seem to be running super slow or anything like one would expect from a computer with hard drive complications. But that lack of performance really freaked me out. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: and how long should it take to verify the disk with disk utility? When I verify mine it says it's going to take 7-8 minutes at first, then it seems like it just skips right to the end... Weird. It verifies for a total of about 45 seconds to a minute. I also found that concerning. My comp is still covered un der warranty, think it's worth a trip to the apple store?

Last edited:

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
A while back I suffered a power outage. Kinda when I first got my iMac. I don't remember being able to hear the hard drive at all before that but now when the computer is working I can hear a faint clicking sound. It's not loud, but I just don't recall ever hearing anything before. The other reason I'm concerned is that of course my iMac has a 1 Tb 7200 rpm hard drive. But when I run the black magic hard drive speed test from the Mac app store my hard drive rates REALLY LOW. I just don't see how this could be. the hard drive isnt remotely full, i havent quite used 200 gb worth of space... The computer doesn't seem to be running super slow or anything like one would expect from a computer with hard drive complications. But that lack of performance really freaked me out. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: and how long should it take to verify the disk with disk utility? When I verify mine it says it's going to take 7-8 minutes at first, then it seems like it just skips right to the end... Weird. It verifies for a total of about 45 seconds to a minute. I also found that concerning. My comp is still covered un der warranty, think it's worth a trip to the apple store?

Clicking is never a good sound... your drive could be on the verge of failure. Make sure you back it up onto an external hard drive. I think it is for sure worth a trip to the Apple Store. Can't ever be too careful.

rossmorgan29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah it's a real faint sound. You have to get right next up to the screen to hear it. I'm mostly scared of the hard drive performance result and the disk utility phenomenon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.