Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 Adds 'Find My Mac'

Alongside yesterday's announcements related to OS X Lion, Apple pushed out a fourth developer preview version of the next-generation operation system set to make its public launch next month. Among the new features in this build of Lion is "Find My Mac", a feature similar to the one already in use for iOS devices.

Evidence for Find My Mac functionality in Lion had been building, but the actual service is now finally showing its face. One user has provided screenshots of the system in action, showing first of all how Find My Mac can be enabled in System Preferences, revealing that feature allows users to lock the screen of a lost machine while allowing guest access only to Safari in order to help facilitate recovery of the machine.

The user also reveals how his MacBook Air could be located using the Find My iPhone app on his iPhone, offering the option to simply to play a sound or send a message to whoever may have found the machine or remotely lock or even wipe the machine.

And finally, the user shows what happens to a machine once remote lock has been initiated, displaying a gray screen with boxes to input the security code to unlock the machine.

OS X Lion is set to debut sometime next month as a Mac App Store exclusive priced at $29.99. The full suite of iCloud features is not set to debut until this fall alongside iOS 5, but some features such as purchased music/app/book histories are already rolling out and Find My Mac will presumably follow suit next month.

Article Link: OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 Adds 'Find My Mac'
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Banned

Can I ask how MR was able to secure exemption from the NDA?
314631 is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Stevesbodyguard
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie
It's because they have so little info about the goings on at Apple their only chance of telling us anything we care about is to violate their non disclosure agreements. Its sites like this that kept the iPhone 5 out of the developers conference...and earthquakes, bombs, 4G, and Osama bin Laden.
Stevesbodyguard is offline   -18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4
G4er?
macrumors 6502a

"Find My Mac"

I've been looking for my Mac for years but Apple still won't build it!
G4er? is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
frjonah
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to frjonah Send a message via Yahoo to frjonah Send a message via Skype™ to frjonah
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
...or maybe it's because this article was posted by the MacRumors Bot. Artificial Intelligence can't be bound by an NDA

Last edited by frjonah; Jun 7, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
frjonah is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:44 PM   #6
marksman
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do you think Mac Rumors is a prty to the developers NDA?
marksman is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:45 PM   #7
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
You assume they signed an NDA. Why would they need to?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8
mikejd1
macrumors 6502

who loses a mac?
mikejd1 is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejd1 View Post
who loses a mac?
When the thief takes it off you.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:47 PM   #10
j-a-x
macrumors 65816

Does anybody know if the update was pushed via software update or is is a separate download?
j-a-x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Aduntu
macrumors 6502a

The user providing the screenshots -- assuming they are a registered developer -- is subject to the developer NDA, not MacRumors.
Aduntu is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM   #12
taxiapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
who loses a mac?
Maybe you don't lose it, maybe someone might take it.

I think it is a great feature.
taxiapple is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM   #13
njaremka
macrumors 6502

how would this work? wouldn't a laptop need either gps, cellular data, or be located within a public wifi area in order to be found? no current mac has gps antennas, do they?
njaremka is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM   #14
miles01110
macrumors 604

Why does remote wipe prevent one from getting data back from the machine? I can understand remote wipe removing that ability, but remote lock is just a lock.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:52 PM   #15
TallGuy1970
macrumors 6502

Finding my mac is one thing. Actually getting police interested enough is another.

Case in point - http://thisguyhasmymacbook.tumblr.com/

This guy gave the police all the information they needed to find the person who stole his laptop. The police did nothing until this guy's story went viral and was picked up by the national media. One call from Good Morning America and guess what? Police miraculously arrested the laptop thief.
TallGuy1970 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
You assume they signed an NDA. Why would they need to?
To get early access to the code to write articles? There are tons of bloggers who have done this. A lot of them are all ignoring the NDA and posting all kinds of stuff all over the internet.

Apple should at least terminate "developer accounts" of those who violate the terms they agreed. In the past Apple would really have made an example of some people.

I'd be very surprised if people on the MR staff don't have access to the developer program.
314631 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:54 PM   #17
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Originally Posted by njaremka View Post
how would this work? wouldn't a laptop need either gps, cellular data, or be located within a public wifi area in order to be found? no current mac has gps antennas, do they?
I guess that when OSX 10.7 calls home it informs apple of the machines IP address, though, it would be up to the telco to provide it which may need a search warrant?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:55 PM   #18
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
I guess that when OSX 10.7 calls home it informs apple of the machines IP address, though, it would be up to the telco to provide it which may need a search warrant?
You wouldn't need the telco's cooperation to provide the IP; you'd need the telco's cooperation to tie the IP to a geographic location.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaremka View Post
Many wifi networks know where they are. My wifi-only iPad can be found using 'find my iPhone' because it knows what network it's on. It's not exact but it's good enough to realize "oh, I accidentally left it at my mom's house when I left."

And really, the map function isn't all that important most of the time. When another family member has been using my iPad I usually have no clue what room it's in. I could wander around the house or I can just use the 'find' feature to make it play a sound.

It's super useful and I'll love it when I can do this with the Macbook too.

Quote:
Apple should at least terminate "developer accounts" of those who violate the terms they agreed. In the past Apple would really have made an example of some people.
Ok, you figure out who captured those screen-shots and I'm sure Apple would love to hear from you.
Small White Car is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:59 PM   #20
Doctor Q
Administrator

What if my guest thief prefers Firefox or Chrome?

Seriously, allowing guest access is a nice feature because sometimes the people who find lost computers are trying to return them, not steal them or their data.

You can already do something similar yourself, by setting up a guest login and putting a file with your "if lost" contact information on that account's desktop.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:59 PM   #21
lighthouse_man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuy1970 View Post
Finding my mac is one thing. Actually getting police interested enough is another.
What the police usually does in such cases is print you a copy of your complaint with which you can get the insurance, if you're covered, to cough up some money. They don't consider investing money and manpower to go after a laptop or phone thief, unless maybe they work in a very small community.
lighthouse_man is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:59 PM   #22
DCJ001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
who loses a mac?
http://www.cultofmac.com/this-blogge...-macbook/97730
DCJ001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:02 PM   #23
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Why does remote wipe prevent one from getting data back from the machine? I can understand remote wipe removing that ability, but remote lock is just a lock.
Wi-Fi networks and IP addresses I would think.
acslater017 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:07 PM   #24
trims
macrumors regular

Remote Wipe might be useful - e.g. if you lost (or had stolen) a MacBook which contained sensitive or confidential (financial or medical?) data.

But can't see how Remote Lock helps? The felon could simply wipe the disk and reinstall OS X. Maybe we're counting on villains being too dumb to do this?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:08 PM   #25
O and A
macrumors regular

I wonder if they can use a boot disk and use the password reset utility.
O and A is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion