Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:31 AM   #1
dferigmu
macrumors 6502

Where can I get songs that aren't available in iTunes?

I'm now buying all my music on iTunes or just downloading music from my CD's, but what about music I can't find anywhere like techno/club remixes of songs or a song from a video game?

Is something like Limewire my only option? Where can I safely find songs that aren't available on iTunes?

Last edited by dferigmu; Mar 22, 2005 at 07:33 AM.
dferigmu is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:40 AM   #2
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

LIMEWIRE

LIMEWIRE....

...FREE & EASY TO USE....
mikebatho is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:49 AM   #3
andrewfee
macrumors 6502

www.amazon.com

Nothing wrong with buying actual CDs and loading them onto iTunes. Personally I prefer to do that, it's only slightly more, you have a physical copy without the restrictions you get with iTunes, and it's higher quality.
andrewfee is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:07 AM   #4
pashazade
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dferigmu
I'm now buying all my music on iTunes or just downloading music from my CD's, but what about music I can't find anywhere like techno/club remixes of songs or a song from a video game?

Is something like Limewire my only option? Where can I safely find songs that aren't available on iTunes?
You can try here:

http://www.mp3tunes.com/
http://www.audiolunchbox.com/

Both sell independent music at about $8/$9 an album, all sorts of esoteric stuff. They do MP3s with no DRM. I would be pretty sure that the artist get a better cut than through iTunes

Both have a good selection of dance music. If you want the real cutting edge stuff Warp Records have a download store, again MP3s with no DRM.

http://www.warprecords.com/bleep/

Finally, many labels give away stuff on there own sites so it's worth trawling through interesting labels.

Good luck

Pashazade
pashazade is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:38 AM   #5
The Black Rock
macrumors regular

You know you could still go to real live record stores...
The Black Rock is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:39 AM   #6
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Rock
And get out your chair!???
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:03 AM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
And get out your chair!???
Who knows? Maybe you'll end up randomly sitting next to Keira on the metro.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

I have found so much rare stuff on ebay recently that it's now my first point of call.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:16 AM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee
Recently, I've used Amazon's used marketplace a couple of times. There are a lot of CDs available at very reasonable prices. Although you have to pay shipping ($2.50 per, in the US, which is kinda high), the prices themselves are very reasonable, so many CDs are available for $8 shipped. I just ordered a PWEI cd because I wanted X Y & Zee and Karmadrome. I guess I *am* paying $4/song though...
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:17 AM   #10
dferigmu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee
www.amazon.com

Nothing wrong with buying actual CDs and loading them onto iTunes. Personally I prefer to do that, it's only slightly more, you have a physical copy without the restrictions you get with iTunes, and it's higher quality.
I know, but I'm talking about songs that aren't even available in stores. Like remixes of songs that were never officially released and aren't available on CDs or on iTunes.

Like there's a retro/dance remix of Justin Timberlake's song "Rock Your Body" that I can't find on iTunes or at Amazon and I'm wondering where I can go to find songs like that? The last program I used was Limewire but that was years ago.
dferigmu is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:16 AM   #11
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
What about Poisoned?
AlmostThere is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:59 AM   #12
jackl79
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dferigmu
I know, but I'm talking about songs that aren't even available in stores. Like remixes of songs that were never officially released and aren't available on CDs or on iTunes.

Like there's a retro/dance remix of Justin Timberlake's song "Rock Your Body" that I can't find on iTunes or at Amazon and I'm wondering where I can go to find songs like that? The last program I used was Limewire but that was years ago.
I buy cd's and then i have a backup copy but you could try Acquisition http://www.acquisitionx.com/
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:10 PM   #13
MacHarne
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to MacHarne
Quote:
There is a fantastic record store near me where I purchase singles and remixes. Plus, they have a crawling library of used CDs with cheap prices. iTMS has been great for picking up individual songs I like, but I still prefer to buy full albums and EPs at a store (or amazon.com; wherever is cheapest).
3G, 1G iPod; 1G shuffle
MacHarne is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:16 PM   #14
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

I'm confused. Is dferigmu asking "Where can I buy music that has never been released for sale?"

If we're talking about mix tapes, remixes and music pulled from other media like games and movies, which has not been published for sale by the artist/owner, the answer would seem to be: you don't, at least not legally.
CanadaRAM is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion