Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
Thanks for viewing my thread. Forgive me if a similar thread exist somewhere.

But I have a MBP, 2.93GHz, C2D, Mid-09, 17" model.

It comes installed with the Hitachi 320GB. I have this Seagate 500GB. I copied all the data over using TechTool Pro. Theres a copier AND verifier on there. When I put the 500GB in my computer and tried to start it up, it paused for about 20 seconds, then a grey curtain came down over the screen and told me to power it off.
I did, then quickly put in a OSX disc, went to see if something was wrong thru disk utility, and it told me it was having permission troubles, so I repaired those.
I tried to start it again, and the grey screen came Much faster this time. So now im back to the 320 and wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

I formatted the HD journaled
Did a zero-out format

I changed the name of the HD, but could that be an issue?

Last edited:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks for viewing my thread. Forgive me if a similar thread exist somewhere.

But I have a MBP, 2.93GHz, C2D, Mid-09, 17" model.

It comes installed with the Hitachi 320GB. I have this Seagate 500GB. I copied all the data over using TechTool Pro. Theres a copier AND verifier on there. When I put the 500GB in my computer and tried to start it up, it paused for about 20 seconds, then a grey curtain came down over the screen and told me to power it off.
I did, then quickly put in a OSX disc, went to see if something was wrong thru disk utility, and it told me it was having permission troubles, so I repaired those.
I tried to start it again, and the grey screen came Much faster this time. So now im back to the 320 and wondering if anyone has a suggestion?

I formatted the HD journaled
Did a zero-out format

I changed the name of the HD, but could that be an issue?

I would try putting the original HDD in, then using SUPERDUPER or CCC to make a bootable copy then installing the new HDD. Sounds like it isnt a bootable backup.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Odd question, is there something wrong with just doing a time machine backup and then installing OS X on the new drive and restoring?

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
In the future, try using Disk Utility to clone the hard drive (that's what I do). If you click on the Restore tab, you can then drag the partition of your original HDD with OSX to the Source field, then drag your partition of the new HDD to the Destination (or Target, can't recall now) and let that run. When you're done, you'll have a perfect clone to pop in and boot from (and if you have a HDD dock or USB enclosure, you can boot from that disk externally and test it out first before cracking open the case).

I do this all the time and have never had an issue. Always see people saying to use CCC or other cloning software, but this works great for me.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
In the future, try using Disk Utility to clone the hard drive (that's what I do). If you click on the Restore tab, you can then drag the partition of your original HDD with OSX to the Source field, then drag your partition of the new HDD to the Destination (or Target, can't recall now) and let that run. When you're done, you'll have a perfect clone to pop in and boot from (and if you have a HDD dock or USB enclosure, you can boot from that disk externally and test it out first before cracking open the case).

I do this all the time and have never had an issue. Always see people saying to use CCC or other cloning software, but this works great for me.

Im new to mac and didnt know this was possible, thanks! I also think people use CCC, SuperDuper, etc for the sync capabilities as well as the clone. But Im using Chronosync for that lol. Ill give what you said a try this week.

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
I would try putting the original HDD in, then using SUPERDUPER or CCC to make a bootable copy then installing the new HDD. Sounds like it isnt a bootable backup.

I used the CCC, and it says its completed, but has some non-critical errors. i havent tried it in the system yet.. im skeptical with this long log it just gave me.

Odd question, is there something wrong with just doing a time machine backup and then installing OS X on the new drive and restoring?

I actually havent thought to try it, but it may work out just perfect. Ive been used to hearing all these other options.. so may that can play a part here soon. seems like i may have to reinstall the OS on any of these options i choose.

Disk utility Allllllllllllways says "Could Not Restore" and something about permissions.. Sometimes it gets to about 10 gbs left, then says that error. Other times it will do about half of that then mess up. I dont understand the permissions, cause I've fixed/ repaired/ verified them so many times, they shouldn't even give me any trouble at all.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I assume you have all your data backed up, and that it is still on the 320 GB stock drive, right?

If so:

Erase the 500 GB drive and then re-install OSX on it. Then migrate your data from the 320 GB or your backup to the 500 GB drive.

QuakeProd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
KC
I assume you have all your data backed up, and that it is still on the 320 GB stock drive, right?

If so:

Erase the 500 GB drive and then re-install OSX on it. Then migrate your data from the 320 GB or your backup to the 500 GB drive.

I was sooo close to trying this out cause i KNOW this method would have worked.

But yes, The 320 is the primary one I was using, so everything was good to go.

But I put it in CCC, and it added the hidden and missing files since it read that all of the Other files were already copied from when I Already copied them on TechTool Pro! ha.

I put it in today and it started right up.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to guide me to success!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.