Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Netflix to Tv Using iPad?

Does anyone have experience using the AVI adapter Apple sells to play movies on a tv?

Would the AVI cable be able to play Netflix movies I stream to the iPad 2?

I want to skip buying another AppleTV (have an old one that doesn't have Netflix) and a while a Roku could get the job done, I want to avoid having more devices, if possible.

Thanks
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:25 AM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

I watched the entire WWDC keynote with the digital AV adapter and my iPad 2. It also works very well with Netflix and other video apps. Also, remember that if you're using an iPad 2, the cable mirrors everything to your TV so the app doesn't have to support video out.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:34 AM   #3
CalBoy
macrumors 601

So you think the iPad would be able to sport a 32" tv with the cable?

And no issues with sound quality either right?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

32 would be fine and actually size doesn't matter at all. Anything you see on the iPad 2 will be shown on your TV. I have yet to see any sound/video issues when using the cable. Of course, don't forget that the iPad 2 will only output 1024x768 to your TV so you will have black bars on the TV. This is totally normal.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:13 PM   #5
iOS 5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Of course, don't forget that the iPad 2 will only output 1024x768 to your TV so you will have black bars on the TV. This is totally normal.
This is actually false. If an app has native support for HDMI out, it will show on the TV in native resolution. So movies in 16:9 on Netflix will show that way on the TV as well. If your TV is 16:9, there will be no black bars, obviously. You can always tell when someone is assuming what the answer is because they're confident but wrong in their answer.
iOS 5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:53 PM   #6
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOS 5 View Post
This is actually false. If an app has native support for HDMI out, it will show on the TV in native resolution. So movies in 16:9 on Netflix will show that way on the TV as well. If your TV is 16:9, there will be no black bars, obviously.
While I did leave that out, it's not false. Most of the mirroring you will do will be in 1024x768 unless the app/content in app supports higher resolutions. Same goes for games like Real Racing 2 HD. The game supports 1080p so the game will output to that resolution when using mirroring. Just because I didn't mention it, doesn't mean I'm assuming I know.

Quote:
You can always tell when someone is assuming what the answer is because they're confident but wrong in their answer.
That's just laughable. You've got 2 posts on MacRumors and are already failing at calling people out.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Jun 8, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:15 PM   #7
taipan61
macrumors 6502

i have both the av cable and the HDMI adapter and both are fine with both my original iPad and the iPad 2.
prefer the HDMI adapter just for ease of use
taipan61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:28 PM   #8
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan61 View Post
i have both the av cable and the HDMI adapter and both are fine with both my original iPad and the iPad 2.
prefer the HDMI adapter just for ease of use
Why is the HDMI one easier than the other? Don't you have to plug both in?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:34 PM   #9
radiogoober
Banned

To the OP, you mentioned having an old AppleTV and not wanting to buy another. You can actually just about break even if you sell your old one on eBay and buy a new one. A lot of people like the old ones with HDs.
radiogoober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:35 PM   #10
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's a single cable to the TV instead of split audio and video. You also may not need access to the rear of the TV, since you can just grab a device end of any HDMI device and plug it in.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:36 PM   #11
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
To the OP, you mentioned having an old AppleTV and not wanting to buy another. You can actually just about break even if you sell your old one on eBay and buy a new one. A lot of people like the old ones with HDs.
That's what I did. iPad with remote app + ATV2 = awesome. Much much better than a cable hanging off the iPad.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:50 PM   #12
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
It's a single cable to the TV instead of split audio and video. You also may not need access to the rear of the TV, since you can just grab a device end of any HDMI device and plug it in.
I could see that. I'm already tired of plugging in my HDMI cable. Come on, iOS 5 with an Apple TV (2). I'm ready for wireless mirroring.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:35 PM   #13
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
Including me.

I think my decision has come down to either buying a $40 cable or a $80 Roku (or something similar). To avoid getting more blackboxes under my tv, I thought the cable route made more practical sense, and it seems that it will play just fine from an iPad 2, yes?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:01 AM   #14
iOS 5
Banned

Quote:
While I did leave that out, it's not false.
You said it only outputs 1024x768, and this is a thread regarding a particular app that does support 16:9
iOS 5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:52 AM   #15
dave420
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Also, remember that if you're using an iPad 2, the cable mirrors everything to your TV so the app doesn't have to support video out.
It doesn't mirror everything. Some apps, like Hulu Plus, actually block the TV mirroring functionality.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:26 AM   #16
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You said it only outputs 1024x768, and this is a thread regarding a particular app that does support 16:9
I see. I was just trying to make it clear that when viewing most stuff on the iPad, it will be in 1024x768.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
It doesn't mirror everything. Some apps, like Hulu Plus, actually block the TV mirroring functionality.
This is true. I've also read that HBO Go is the same way. Haven't tested myself to confirm or deny.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:06 AM   #17
ZombieZakk
macrumors 6502

i have used the cable and airplay with my apple tv but be warned HBO GO and hulu plus are not supported with video out netflix works great though and most other video apps work.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:34 AM   #18
taipan61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
the back of my tv has 3 hdmi ports but only one set of composite ports, it's also a plus for me as i don't have the octopus coming out the back of the set
thats why it's easier for me
taipan61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:58 AM   #19
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy View Post
Including me.

I think my decision has come down to either buying a $40 cable or a $80 Roku (or something similar). To avoid getting more blackboxes under my tv, I thought the cable route made more practical sense, and it seems that it will play just fine from an iPad 2, yes?
I have an iPad 2, the HDMI adapter, Roku, and an ATV2. Trust me on this one. You will be MUCH happier getting the ATV2 than any of your other options for what you are attempting to do. This is one of those things where you wouldn't understand the significance until you actually tried them all. Then it all becomes obvious.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:41 PM   #20
DizzyV6P
macrumors regular

So I've got an iPad 2 and Wii that I can use to stream Netflix.

Apple TV seems very tempting, but at $99? $39 for the HDMI ipad2 plug, I'm tempted to just do the Wii and hope the resolution is worthwhile.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated.
DizzyV6P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:58 PM   #21
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyV6P View Post
So I've got an iPad 2 and Wii that I can use to stream Netflix.

Apple TV seems very tempting, but at $99? $39 for the HDMI ipad2 plug, I'm tempted to just do the Wii and hope the resolution is worthwhile.

Any other options would be greatly appreciated.
The resolution won't be worth it. If you do end up watching a lot of Netlfix, I'd spring for at least the cable. I've got the cable and absolutely love it.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:18 PM   #22
DizzyV6P
macrumors regular

I tried the iPad2 with Netflix and it kept stopping about a minute or two into a movie. The router is a Verizon Westell 7500. Everything else I've tried doesn't have this problem.

Wii component to TV using Netflix, no hiccups.
iPhone 4 w/ Netflix, no hiccups.
I got the Netgear wi-fi adaptor for my Panasonic blu-ray player and no hiccups either.
Roku was returned because I couldn't get it to networked w/ the Westell 7500. Googling for answers to that problem was more trouble than it was worth.

But the iPad 2 has hiccups when watching Netflix. Any advice on what may be causing this? I have nothing else running in the background of the iPad either.

The netgear ataptor will probably be returned. It requires that you put movies into Instant Queue and then it'll pick it up. I blame the rudimentary blu-ray player GUI. @$60, I might as well spring the extra $40 for Apple TV as previously suggested.
DizzyV6P is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad