Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 5 Works Just Fine On iPhone 3GS

Reports are coming out that the iOS 5 beta works just fine on the 3GS, which is a relief since just a couple of weeks ago it was rumored that the 3GS wouldn't work at all. According to Apple (emphasis added):
Quote:
iOS 5 will be available as a free software update for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch (fourth generation) and iPod touch (third generation) this fall. Some features may not be available on all products.
Unfortunately, Apple doesn't spell out what, exactly, won't work on the slower iPhone 3GS and third generation iPod touch. But some research from 9to5Mac and Banolka on YouTube gives us some ideas, at least in the beta.

What we know works:

- Notification Center
- Twitter Integration
- Newsstand and Periodical Store
- Grid Lines and Exposure/Brightness Settings in Camera app
- Reading List in Safari

And what doesn't (but it's a short list, so far):

- Image editing (red eye, cropping, magic wand)
- Reader is missing (but there is some disagreement if it simply hasn't been implemented yet)

So, it looks like 3GS users are in good shape going forward, but, of course, all of this may change as the beta period goes on and we get closer to release this fall. What might be most difficult to implement for the 3GS is a feature that doesn't even exist yet. We reported earlier today that Nuance/Siri Voice Features might still be included in iOS 5 and I wouldn't be surprised if that particular feature was not enabled on the relatively underpowered 3GS.

Article Link: iOS 5 Works Just Fine On iPhone 3GS

Last edited by arn; Jun 7, 2011 at 06:43 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

I personally find it a bit lagging on my 3Gs but bearable
Rudy69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:19 PM   #3
CodeJingle
macrumors regular

I haven't heard anyone say that the iOS 5 beta is not available for iPhone 4 CDMA
CodeJingle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Biolizard
macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3G was an anomaly because the only internal change was the 3G chip. Going forward it seems like every iPhone will get a spec bump so the 3rd version of iOS for a particular model of the phone will hopefully be a much smoother affair than the 3G+4.x.x debacle.

That said, the gap between the 3GS and 4 isn't great (faster clock speed + double RAM - having to power retina display) so I'm more interested to see what iOS 6 means for the iPhone 4 this time next year.

Edit: Also, remember that this is a beta so we don't know how far it's been optimised yet; any devs with a slow 3GS just need to moan at Apple so users need not wait until 5.2.1 ;-)

Last edited by Biolizard; Jun 7, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Biolizard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:26 PM   #5
pbush25
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to pbush25 Send a message via Skype™ to pbush25
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

I actually disagree. I put it on an old 3GS that I had, and battery life is awful. Aside from that, it takes three seconds just to unlock it, even without a passcode, and forget opening folders or even apps quickly if you're in a rush.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:30 PM   #6
LegendKillerUK
macrumors 6502

Photo editing isn't on the 4th Gen iPod touch either. I feel it's an oversight at this early stage.
LegendKillerUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:42 PM   #7
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Reader is on 3GS. not consistent but there.
LastLine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
BLACKFRIDAY
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Reader is on 3GS. not consistent but there.
Yes. It's there. I can confirm this on my iPhone 3GS.
BLACKFRIDAY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:07 PM   #9
smalltimewine
macrumors newbie

Hopefully some will take this as a lesson to assuage the usual "sky-is-falling, let's crucify Apple" reaction to mere rumors.
smalltimewine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:11 PM   #10
dimi94941
macrumors regular

I don't understand, why all of you are moaning when in the video 3GS work really flawlessly, even faster then iOS4 works currently on my 3GS.
dimi94941 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrkiid View Post
Yea my sisters 3gs is now on ios5 and is working fine, I dont know why all the fuss.
Did you guys do a fresh install or you restored from a backup? From my experience it seems that if you do fresh install, updating OS on any supporting phone will feel quite fast. It's only when you restore from backup and have lots of stuff in your phone that'll make it slower.

Am I right? My iPod touch 2G was very slow after 4.0 I'm glad it's much faster now after 4.2, but still slower than when I bought it.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:43 AM   #12
bb426
macrumors 6502

Yep, installed last night on my 3GS and iPod 4G. So far from what I've witnessed, my 3GS actually has better performance than my iPod.

Although, I can't seem to sync any photos from iPhoto to my 3GS, while everything syncs with my iPod.

A lot of the features don't work yet since it's beta, like wireless syncing (?) and of course the iCloud stuff (Photostream) and Newsstand. Reminders is quite buggy for me and at some points Safari as well (crashes often on larger web pages). Although, going back and forth between pages on the iPod 4G are pretty snappy compared to 4.x.x!

And is it just me or are there no photo enhancement options? Can't find them for either iDevice.

I'm really digging these automatic downloads... works like magic. So, how are the beta updates going to come through? Through iOS or through iTunes?

One thing I hate though is the whole MobileMe to iCloud transfer. We just transferred from .Mac like 3 years ago, it's getting annoying... I'm just hoping everything transfers smoothly, and that the features are better than what I currently have for MM and better than what I am expecting...
bb426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:38 AM   #13
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKillerUK View Post
Photo editing isn't on the 4th Gen iPod touch either. I feel it's an oversight at this early stage.
What? This sucks. Maybe put a cap on the size of the images we can edit, but to remove it completely? I wonder what else Apple refuses to give us.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspersoong View Post
What? This sucks. Maybe put a cap on the size of the images we can edit, but to remove it completely? I wonder what else Apple refuses to give us.
It's a beta. It means all features may not have been implemented.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:45 AM   #15
Chundles
macrumors G4

Reader is not an "Always there" feature. Just like in Safari on the Mac, the website needs to be recognised as an article to enable the Reader button.

It's there when it's needed but you won't see it on every site.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:50 AM   #16
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Reader is not an "Always there" feature. Just like in Safari on the Mac, the website needs to be recognised as an article to enable the Reader button.

It's there when it's needed but you won't see it on every site.
Yep, other blog sites reported that. Perhaps macrumors just hasn't updated this article yet.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
BaconTime
macrumors newbie

Talking

I had to chuckle a bit reading these threads where the overwhelming consensus was that the 3gs "couldn't possibly handle" the demands of ios5, yet somehow the iphone 4 would plow through it with ease.

"iOS 5 for iPhone 3GS?"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1163470

"No iOS 5 for iPhone 3GS?"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1158210
BaconTime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

One thing I can see Apple omitting in the features for the 3GS is something like the volume-up button for the camera shutter button. Since the 3GS uses the rocker design and knowing Apple's penchant for wanting things to be ergonomically sound, I can see them taking out this feature. However, I'm not sure if this feature is in there. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:18 AM   #19
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816

Haha, "this movie format is not supported"...

I am surprised at how good it runs this early in the beta, though it does get hot as hell even when just playing music, but that's probably all the un optimized code...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatemilty View Post
One thing I can see Apple omitting in the features for the 3GS is something like the volume-up button for the camera shutter button. Since the 3GS uses the rocker design and knowing Apple's penchant for wanting things to be ergonomically sound, I can see them taking out this feature. However, I'm not sure if this feature is in there. Can anyone confirm this?
UP volume side of the rocker works fine for camera shutter for me.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:36 AM   #20
matrixhacker
macrumors newbie

slow

My battery life is going twice as quickly as normal on the 3GS.
matrixhacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:15 PM   #21
gpat
macrumors 6502a

That's no surprise to me. The 3GS had some kick-ass hardware for 2009. You know, the "S" was for speed.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:47 PM   #22
itsthenewdc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
I personally find it a bit lagging on my 3Gs but bearable
Dev builds have always had some lag/slow down to them.

Hell, iOS 5 on the iPhone 4, it lagged when it was syncing everything back after the restore big time, because it was installing multiple apps at once instead of one-by-one.
itsthenewdc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:49 AM   #23
Crucial9
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

On my 3GS, notification center is not active (when I slide down from the top nothing happens). I am able to do this to skip activation, but after I am in the OS, it is does not function.

Last edited by Crucial9; Jun 10, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
Crucial9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:08 AM   #24
Lahmy88
macrumors member

iOS 5 will be great, but since my 24mths contract is up soon (actually just in July), I'm super keen to get this bloody next iPhone!
Lahmy88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:51 PM   #25
hypervish89
macrumors regular

I have reader on my iphone 3gs...

13" Macbook Air 2013 1.3 i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB | 13" MacBook Pro 2010 2.4 C2D, 8 GB RAM, 160 GB SSD |iPad 2 Wi-Fi Black 16 GB|iPhone 5s Gray 16 GB|iPhone 5 Black 16 GB |iPhone 3Gs 8 GB
hypervish89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion