Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:01 AM   #1
MrMatt90
macrumors newbie

Question iOS 5 Beta 1: Software Update Network Unavailable?

Hey guys just a quick question, been running the new beta, loving it, I know iTunes sync does not work as this is mentioned in the release notes. However, I tried software update and expected to see "Your software is up to date" or something along those lines, but instead I get a message saying the network is unavailable or too slow, and to connect to WiFi. I get said message while connected to a WiFi network. So is anyone else experiencing this? Is Apple's update server down? Is the feature disabled and just not mentioned in the release notes? Or is there something else going on?

Someone enlighten me here.
MrMatt90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:03 AM   #2
macingman
macrumors 68020

I get the same thing when I try also. I assume apple hasn't turned on the system which sends OTA software upsets yet.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Mr Slippy IV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMatt90 View Post
Hey guys just a quick question, been running the new beta, loving it, I know iTunes sync does not work as this is mentioned in the release notes. However, I tried software update and expected to see "Your software is up to date" or something along those lines, but instead I get a message saying the network is unavailable or too slow, and to connect to WiFi. I get said message while connected to a WiFi network. So is anyone else experiencing this? Is their update server down? Is the feature disabled and just not mentioned in the release notes? Or is there something else going on?

Someone enlighten me here.
I don't have the beta (or for that matter a registered UDID or a dev account), but I'd be willing to bet that the OTA updates aren't even up yet.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:21 AM   #4
MrMatt90
macrumors newbie

Okay, I think you guys misunderstand where I am coming from, I understand there won't be any OTA updates yet, it would be unheard of for them to start coming out this quickly, but what I am getting at, is, whether there is anything to connect to at all, for example a server simply to say yes your up to date. Or if they just haven't bothered setting up anything at all, and the only message they have coded in to explain what's happening is blaming our connection instead of saying there is no update server to connect to?
MrMatt90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Mr Slippy IV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Okay, I think you guys misunderstand where I am coming from, I understand there won't be any OTA updates yet, it would be unheard of for them to start coming out this quickly, but what I am getting at, is, whether there is anything to connect to at all, for example a server simply to say yes your up to date. Or if they just haven't bothered setting up anything at all, and the only message they have coded in to explain what's happening is blaming our connection instead of saying there is no update server to connect to?
I think that there's nothing to connect to and the notification you're getting is the only way the OS knows how to tell you that the connection isn't going through. Once again, this is my amateurish two cents but it's all I've got.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:50 AM   #6
J Griz 757
macrumors regular

Quote:

Everyone on this beta should be getting the same thing. I get the same message as well. The software doesn't tell it that there is anything to connect to yet.

I assume the next beta or two will get this feature rolling.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:11 AM   #7
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's what I said. I said I doubt apple has tuned on the OTA system meaning the servers aren't up yet.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone