Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMatt90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hey guys just a quick question, been running the new beta, loving it, I know iTunes sync does not work as this is mentioned in the release notes. However, I tried software update and expected to see "Your software is up to date" or something along those lines, but instead I get a message saying the network is unavailable or too slow, and to connect to WiFi. I get said message while connected to a WiFi network. So is anyone else experiencing this? Is Apple's update server down? Is the feature disabled and just not mentioned in the release notes? Or is there something else going on?

Someone enlighten me here.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I get the same thing when I try also. I assume apple hasn't turned on the system which sends OTA software upsets yet.

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Hey guys just a quick question, been running the new beta, loving it, I know iTunes sync does not work as this is mentioned in the release notes. However, I tried software update and expected to see "Your software is up to date" or something along those lines, but instead I get a message saying the network is unavailable or too slow, and to connect to WiFi. I get said message while connected to a WiFi network. So is anyone else experiencing this? Is their update server down? Is the feature disabled and just not mentioned in the release notes? Or is there something else going on?

Someone enlighten me here.

I don't have the beta (or for that matter a registered UDID or a dev account), but I'd be willing to bet that the OTA updates aren't even up yet.

MrMatt90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Okay, I think you guys misunderstand where I am coming from, I understand there won't be any OTA updates yet, it would be unheard of for them to start coming out this quickly, but what I am getting at, is, whether there is anything to connect to at all, for example a server simply to say yes your up to date. Or if they just haven't bothered setting up anything at all, and the only message they have coded in to explain what's happening is blaming our connection instead of saying there is no update server to connect to?

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Okay, I think you guys misunderstand where I am coming from, I understand there won't be any OTA updates yet, it would be unheard of for them to start coming out this quickly, but what I am getting at, is, whether there is anything to connect to at all, for example a server simply to say yes your up to date. Or if they just haven't bothered setting up anything at all, and the only message they have coded in to explain what's happening is blaming our connection instead of saying there is no update server to connect to?

I think that there's nothing to connect to and the notification you're getting is the only way the OS knows how to tell you that the connection isn't going through. Once again, this is my amateurish two cents but it's all I've got.

J Griz 757

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010

Everyone on this beta should be getting the same thing. I get the same message as well. The software doesn't tell it that there is anything to connect to yet.

I assume the next beta or two will get this feature rolling.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

That's what I said. I said I doubt apple has tuned on the OTA system meaning the servers aren't up yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.