Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Why does lion require 2 times as much ram as SL? Seems like quite a jump in the baseline...even moreso when you look at past OS releases

Lion: 2gig
SL : 1gig
Leopard: 512MB
Tiger: 256MB
Panther: 128MB

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
From that list it looks like the required RAM is doubling each new version of the OS. So the 2GB minimum was to be expected. I have thought the minimum would probably be 2GB for quite a while.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
It has to do with how powerful computers are getting now a days. Mac OSX is just using more available resources to it, to do more things. Most computers come with between 4-6 GB of ram.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
My '07 MacBook still has the CTO 2GB RAM it came with. I guess I'll need to upgrade the RAM to 4GB (3.3GB addressable) before upgrading to Lion (if I decide to so).

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
The first DP were runing fine on my mid 2009 MBAlum. I don't think that upgrading the RAM is strictly necessary for Lion

pwatson80

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
UK
I guess the more processor cores you have, the more memory your going to need so the processor cores have enough stuff readily accessible to process. Otherwise you get a bottle neck.

It's not really OSX thats wanting more memory, just the demand of the processors thats driving the increase.

The price of RAM today is dirt cheap anyway, you can get 8GB kits for £60 if you shop around. All new models come with 4GB as standard as it is.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Why does lion require 2 times as much ram as SL? Seems like quite a jump in the baseline...even moreso when you look at past OS releases

Probably because even if it really was more like 1.5gig, that would be a rather unusual amount to have installed. 2gig just makes more natural sense in how computers are usually put together with pairs of ram sticks.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Isn't 64bit computing always more RAM-intensive, even if the tasks are the same? Firefox 4 uses 80MB RAM when I launch it in 64bit mode and 55MB RAM when in 32bit mode. Other applications behave in similar ways.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

Do the math... you're asking why Lion requires 2x more RAM than the previous release, then show the RAM requirements for the past several releases, all of which doubled the requirement from the previous release.

I know it's been said already, but the incongruity of the "even moreso when you look at past releases" (because when you look at past releases it fits the pattern perfectly) statement is kind of confusing.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
and someone would want less than 2GB of RAM because??:confused:

Good question. Another good question: when did the last Mac with less than 2GB ship? 2007? If one wants Lion, I don't think $40-60 for a memory upgrade for a four-year-old computer is really that outrageous.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
From that list it looks like the required RAM is doubling each new version of the OS. So the 2GB minimum was to be expected. I have thought the minimum would probably be 2GB for quite a while.
This was my point as well (that even before being officially announced I knew ram requirements would increase).

That's why when there was a very big discussion about the measly 2GB as STD in the MBA, when people asked if it was enough I said no, upgrade to 4GB. That suggestion on my part brought a firestorm of hate from the fanboys once again defending Apple saying 2GB was more than enough. How dare I suggest more would be beneficial.

All these experts are quite interesting.

When I ordered an 11" & 13" MBA's the extra $100 each to move up to 4GB was more than worth it. Especially since they're not user upgradeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.