Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I'm not sure if i just have a defective smart cover or what but its starting to annoy me. I have barely touched my new ipad 2 (i just got it replaced yesterday) but this was also a concern with the ipad 2 i had before that. Even if i clean the screen and close the smart cover then open it right back up there will be tons of dust all over the place. Not like dust dust, but like parts of the cloth are getting left over from the smart cover or something. And it'll leave little vertical line imprints from the parts of the cover which i have to rub to get off.

The only reason im concerned is every time i open it up and go to slide my finger across the screen im jeopardizing scratching the surface with my finger. not only that but i felt like i scratched my old ipad (which got replaced for backlight bleeding) when i tried to use a microfiber lens cleaning cloth after opening it up.

TLDR: does this happen to everyone's smart cover?

imutter

macrumors 6502
SO I brought in my iPad for light bleed and while at the Bar the guy says what is this ( he is talking about the dust lines in your screen)? I am replying your smartcover does this. I also told him I tried the lint brush and other things. He said he had never seen this (as I BELIEVED HIM) but anyway I was not there for that issue and he brought it up. He gave me a new one any color I liked. I was like thanks but in my head thought what's the point ? It is a fail design on the NO DUST part !

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
well yea besides the lines (which are pretty annoying) this smart cover literally covers my screen in dust. im afraid to use a cleaning cloth because i could slide/rub the dust on the screen and scratch it like i probably did to the first one i had.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The dust won't scratch the screen. My Apple iPad cover never really kept all dust out since it attracts dust, it also allows for the transfer of said dust onto the glass. I think there is a grade school science experiment in there somewhere about static electricity.

Try another cover or no cover at all. I would say that whatever lines you're seeing can be wiped and are harmless. Annoying, but harmless.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Unless it's diamond dust, sand, or metal filings I highly doubt it will scratch simply from cleaning. Plain old household dust is much softer than the glass covering you ipad's screen.

Sounds like you really should get a screen protector. Just because it may give you some peace of mind.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
That's why I use a small microfiber cloth inbetween the case and the screen. I can use that microfiber to wipe away any dust as well.

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Ok now it's really annoying me. It's pretty much been covered by this smart cover for the past couple of days and has not been used. I open it up, ton's of little dust particles all over and vertical imprints. i say w/e, and use a brand new microfiber cloth for lens cleaning to clean the whole screen lightly. i then again do it very lightly (just to get dust off). after that i press harder to get the smudges out. i look at it, looks disgusting so i try again. now it just looks like i have TINY sparkles and streaks all over the place and the imprints wouldn't completely come off.

absolutely makes no sense if this thing is not being pressed against the screen. its laying flat face side up. the only thing pushing it down is gravity. now i don't want to put this power support anti-glare screen cover on until i get it perfect underneath. why in the hell would i want it to look ugly underneath something that i won't probably be taking off for a long time.

what ever the hell is on the other side of this smart cover is constantly falling apart and just being pressed against the screen for the past couple of days.

edit: has anyone tried washing, shampooing, or vacuuming the side that goes against the screen?

Pedro.Shadows

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Portugal
Ok now it's really annoying me. It's pretty much been covered by this smart cover for the past couple of days and has not been used. I open it up, ton's of little dust particles all over and vertical imprints. i say w/e, and use a brand new microfiber cloth for lens cleaning to clean the whole screen lightly. i then again do it very lightly (just to get dust off). after that i press harder to get the smudges out. i look at it, looks disgusting so i try again. now it just looks like i have TINY sparkles and streaks all over the place and the imprints wouldn't completely come off.

absolutely makes no sense if this thing is not being pressed against the screen. its laying flat face side up. the only thing pushing it down is gravity. now i don't want to put this power support anti-glare screen cover on until i get it perfect underneath. why in the hell would i want it to look ugly underneath something that i won't probably be taking off for a long time.

what ever the hell is on the other side of this smart cover is constantly falling apart and just being pressed against the screen for the past couple of days.

edit: has anyone tried washing, shampooing, or vacuuming the side that goes against the screen?

Poli or leather Smart Cover?
If u have the poli version just wash it with some some and water and u will be fine ;)

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The moral of the story is that smart covers are pieces of garbage. Overpriced, weak magnets, very little protection, flop around when folded back, lousy color selection for the lesser of the two overpriced points, and dust transferers. They look cool, that's about it.

altair0074

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I didn't mind that the smart cover didn't protect the back of the iPad but the issues with the dust and especially the line streaks made be get rid of the smart cover for a case.

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Poli or leather Smart Cover?
If u have the poli version just wash it with some some and water and u will be fine ;)

blue poli, but its not that side that matters. its the microfiber side of it or whatever fabric that is. it just keeps peeling apart and leaving dust all over the screen.

and to the poster above, the smart cover is actually really sick imo. it protects everything i want. the front when its closed and the back when its open. im just gonna stick a wrapsol on the back and power support on the front and theres no need for anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.