Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1
qpawn
macrumors member

SATA Hard Drive Cables?

Howdy howdy howdy,

I should be receiving my "bare" Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive soon. No cables and possibly no screws (sounds like my nightlife ).

I have a Dual 1.8 G5. I haven't opened it up recently and I am trying to wait until it arrives to shutdown.

-What exactly is already down inside my G5. Cables, screws, gnomes?
-Do I need to buy a SATA interface cable and SATA power cable?
-What cable length would be best for the drive?

Thanks, folks!
qpawn is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:27 PM   #2
cmvsm
macrumors 6502a

You should be good to go. I just installed a 74 GB Raptor Drive and no cables needed. Apple got it right in terms of new drive installation.
cmvsm is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:43 PM   #3
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Inside you will find an empty drive bay with SATA cable and power waiting for a drive to connect to. You will also find 4 plastic knobbie type things that you will have to unscrew from the case and screw into the drive itself where the normal screws would typically go. These allow the drive to slide and lock into place. Once in place, just connect the two cables and reboot.
topgunn is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:01 PM   #4
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

The previous poster is correct, however you may want to install some Hard Drive Gnomes for regular maintenance purposes. They can be purchased at gnomestore.com. Be sure to get the $49 vocal upgrade, as having your hard drive gnomes sing to you is quite nice. If you treat them nice enough, they'll even pop gooey chocolate chip cookies out of the disc drive.
pdpfilms is offline   0
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:05 PM   #5
freiheit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpfilms
The previous poster is correct, however you may want to install some Hard Drive Gnomes for regular maintenance purposes. They can be purchased at gnomestore.com. Be sure to get the $49 vocal upgrade, as having your hard drive gnomes sing to you is quite nice. If you treat them nice enough, they'll even pop gooey chocolate chip cookies out of the disc drive.
Darn, I KNEW I should have gotten a G5 instead of a G4. All I got were goblins inside and what they put out through the disc drive ain't chocolate.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:42 PM   #6
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiheit
Darn, I KNEW I should have gotten a G5 instead of a G4. All I got were goblins inside and what they put out through the disc drive ain't chocolate.
At least you got goblins! I only got one measly troll in my Mac mini! And the only thing the little son of a gun puts out the drive is occasional goat hairballs.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers