Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qpawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
California
Howdy howdy howdy,

I should be receiving my "bare" Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive soon. No cables and possibly no screws (sounds like my nightlife :rolleyes: ).

I have a Dual 1.8 G5. I haven't opened it up recently and I am trying to wait until it arrives to shutdown.

-What exactly is already down inside my G5. Cables, screws, gnomes?
-Do I need to buy a SATA interface cable and SATA power cable?
-What cable length would be best for the drive?

Thanks, folks! :)

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
You should be good to go. I just installed a 74 GB Raptor Drive and no cables needed. Apple got it right in terms of new drive installation.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Inside you will find an empty drive bay with SATA cable and power waiting for a drive to connect to. You will also find 4 plastic knobbie type things that you will have to unscrew from the case and screw into the drive itself where the normal screws would typically go. These allow the drive to slide and lock into place. Once in place, just connect the two cables and reboot.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
The previous poster is correct, however you may want to install some Hard Drive Gnomes for regular maintenance purposes. They can be purchased at gnomestore.com. Be sure to get the $49 vocal upgrade, as having your hard drive gnomes sing to you is quite nice. If you treat them nice enough, they'll even pop gooey chocolate chip cookies out of the disc drive.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
pdpfilms said:
The previous poster is correct, however you may want to install some Hard Drive Gnomes for regular maintenance purposes. They can be purchased at gnomestore.com. Be sure to get the $49 vocal upgrade, as having your hard drive gnomes sing to you is quite nice. If you treat them nice enough, they'll even pop gooey chocolate chip cookies out of the disc drive.

Darn, I KNEW I should have gotten a G5 instead of a G4. All I got were goblins inside and what they put out through the disc drive ain't chocolate.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
freiheit said:
Darn, I KNEW I should have gotten a G5 instead of a G4. All I got were goblins inside and what they put out through the disc drive ain't chocolate.

At least you got goblins! I only got one measly troll in my Mac mini! And the only thing the little son of a gun puts out the drive is occasional goat hairballs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.