Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:34 PM   #1
glosterseagul
macrumors regular

How do a make Firefox the default web Browser?

If I get an email and it has a web address if I click on it it opens Explorer. I wnt Firefox to be my browser?

Also how do I Uninstall programs? In os9 I knew where all the 'bits" would be and just chucked them away. with OSX ther seems to be more files dotted around. So if no uninstall where will the 'bits' be? I'd look in my extensions folder in os9.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

Open Safari (!) -> preferences -> default browser
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:50 PM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

OK, firstly, to uninstall something just drag the app to the trash in most cases. Unfortunately, your right in that there are some apps that leave a mess in other folders so maybe a search for the app's name in the finder will help. Generally though, dragging to the trash is fine save for most Microsoft and Mozilla products.

Now, the second bit. Safari preferences will let you change the default browser assuming you actually have Safari. The fact everything is opening in Explorer makes me think you're not running Panther so unfortunately, having had no experience with anything pre-10.3 I can't really be all that helpful other than to maybe deleting Explorer, opening the attachments, letting OSX ask you what to use (read - Firefox) and then reinstalling Explorer from the Microsoft website (assuming you want to keep it). This is a pretty messy way of going about what is a relatively simple problem so hopefully someone who has actually used any of the early OSXs will give you a better option.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:00 PM   #4
chv400
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to chv400
Just wondering how do you import bookmarks from safari into Firefox?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chv400
Just wondering how do you import bookmarks from safari into Firefox?
Duff-Man says...the easiest way is to go to VersionTracker and download a utility called "Safari Bookmark Exporter" - it'll do the trick and even put the exported file into your Firefox profile....oh yeah!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says...the easiest way is to go to VersionTracker and download a utility called "Safari Bookmark Exporter" - it'll do the trick and even put the exported file into your Firefox profile....oh yeah!
Or you can enable the Safari Debug menu, and then export or import bookmarks and do many other things. Google for how to do it. It is possibly the best thing that you can do for Safari.
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion