Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit?

9 to 5 Mac reports that one of its readers has passed along a screenshot of an iOS 5 dialog box suggesting that Apple is preparing to support FaceTime video calling over cellular networks with the new operating system set for release this fall.
Quote:
FaceTime Unavailable

Turn on cellular data or use Wi-Fi to use FaceTime.
FaceTime has officially been limited to Wi-Fi on iOS devices since its debut last year, although users have been able to work around that limitation using either jailbreaking solutions or MiFi connectivity.

Official FaceTime support over cellular networks will almost certainly require individual carriers to also be on board in much the same way that carriers have needed to support Internet tethering and other features that have the potential to significantly increase demand on their networks.

Article Link: Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:01 PM   #2
drewisanapple
macrumors regular

Maybe this will throw off the iCloud streaming disappointment,

This is a nice addition if it goes through.
drewisanapple is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Consultant
macrumors G5

Carriers should be fine. They already support other VoIP and video chat apps on iPhone over 3G.
Consultant is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502

AT&T will require a limited data plan. Just like tethering. Those of us with unlimited will be left out.
hlfway2anywhere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
bb426
macrumors 6502

Hope so. Given the amount of people who have iPhones however may be the tipper. I hate not being able to FaceTime over 3G.... supposedly the new iPhone has access to "4G" (the faster 3G version), so I don't see a reason why carriers would have a huge problem accepting.
bb426 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Well, you can add FaceBreak to the list of DOA JB apps now.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:07 PM   #7
drewisanapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfway2anywhere View Post
AT&T will require a limited data plan. Just like tethering. Those of us with unlimited will be left out.
AT&T and Verizon won't have unlimited plans when this comes to play.
T-Mobile may still have unlimited unless AT&T is successful.
drewisanapple is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM   #8
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewisanapple View Post
AT&T and Verizon won't have unlimited plans when this comes to play.
T-Mobile may still have unlimited unless AT&T is successful.
AT&T already doesn't have unlimited data plans offered now. Which is why I said they will require those of us with them to downgrade to a limited plan. just like tethering.
hlfway2anywhere is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM   #9
bkj216
macrumors newbie

Given how many issues Apple tends to have with carriers, how long until they just branch off and offer their own service?
bkj216 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:12 PM   #10
snax83
macrumors newbie

i would say this is a bug more than anything as I have just tested this on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 and it only happens when the 3g is switched off as well as the cellular data. If you only turn off the cellular data then it asks you to connect to a Wi-Fi network and mentions nothing about turning on cellular data.
snax83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:13 PM   #11
YHSUN
macrumors newbie

Has Apple encrypted Facetime communication yet?

YHSUN is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfway2anywhere View Post
AT&T already doesn't have unlimited data plans offered now. Which is why I said they will require those of us with them to downgrade to a limited plan. just like tethering.
As someone with an 'unlimited' AT&T iPhone data plan; I too, believe this is what AT&T might end up doing.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 PM   #13
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a

FaceTime should be offered over 3G since you can FaceTime on an iPad2 hotspotted to an iPhone 4 already...

Ridiculous....
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

3G FaceTime with the 4 gig limit via tethering will probably force me off of the unlimited plan. (I will have to make sure I use the wifi networks more in the future however......)
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:18 PM   #15
NinjaHERO
macrumors 6502a

I doubt this will hog too much bandwidth. I can't see more than five or six people on Earth who actually enjoy holding their phone out at an uncomfortable angle just so they can face chat.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:20 PM   #16
ny3ranger
macrumors member

Why would they care provided they moved to tiered data plans already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

9 to 5 Mac reports that one of its readers has passed along a screenshot of an iOS 5 dialog box suggesting that Apple is preparing to support FaceTime video calling over cellular networks with the new operating system set for release this fall.FaceTime has officially been limited to Wi-Fi on iOS devices since its debut last year, although users have been able to work around that limitation using either jailbreaking solutions or MiFi connectivity.

Official FaceTime support over cellular networks will almost certainly require individual carriers to also be on board in much the same way that carriers have needed to support Internet tethering and other features that have the potential to significantly increase demand on their networks.

Article Link: Apple Appears Set to Support FaceTime Over 3G in iOS 5, But Will Carriers Follow Suit?
ny3ranger is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:21 PM   #17
HelveticaNeue
macrumors 6502a

Yay! Fido. Nice to see my carrier for once. Hopefully Rogers and Fido don't block this in Canada. They haven't denied us any of iOS's features yet so I'm not too worried. Especially since it will just eat up our already limited capped data.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:22 PM   #18
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHSUN View Post
My face is always cryptic.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:25 PM   #19
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewisanapple View Post
Maybe this will throw off the iCloud streaming disappointment,

This is a nice addition if it goes through.
Care to elaborate how big the disappointment was?

Press vs. users ?
Geeks on MR vs. average users?

FREE users vs. $ 25 users?

etc.etc.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:25 PM   #20
Žalgiris
Banned

The situation with mobile internet in the US is really pathetic. Data plan for this, tada plan for that, want to tether pay more, more, more. For Christ sake it's data and if i bought 5 GB of data i don't give a damn and i will use it as i please (on a phone, on a computer, for video chats, for downloads, for what i need).
Žalgiris is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:25 PM   #21
M. Malone
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will iOS 5 support email based FaceTime on iPhone?

I use iPhone on a non FaceTime supporting carrier. Would be great if I can have FaceTime like on an iPod touch over email.
M. Malone is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:31 PM   #22
bushido
macrumors 601

i wouldnt see any problem with that, every new android supports it here
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 PM   #23
iSimx
macrumors 6502

I HOPE this is true. I need a backup for cellular video on Skype now that probably Microsoft plan to do things it with it...
iSimx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:32 PM   #24
Ti-tanic
macrumors newbie

The question is do those carriers even have a choice to bargain with Apple, after iPhone's success and thus marginalizing those telecomm co.

Tethering was blocked as well when Apple had the tech to do it well, but later on it became available on 4.3.
A similar issue will probably happen to sim card. Soon all those "activation fees" will be charged by Apple rather than AT&T
Ti-tanic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:38 PM   #25
powaking
macrumors 6502

Why would carriers even care. The more data you use on the limited plans then the more you will pay them when you go over. I don't think AT&T is really concerned if you use less than 2gb or more. If you use more you pay more. Its more $$ in their pocket. You can use Skype and Yahoo messenger to do video calling so I can't see this being any different.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion