Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 8, 2011, 04:52 PM   #1
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Server worth it for me?

wHey all,

I was wondering, is OS X Lion server worth getting in my case. I've never run a server version of any OS before so I'm a bit hazy on the real benefits.

My current home IT setup is this:

A couple of Windows 7 boxes for gaming
My iMac (the main machine of the house, a mid 2010 i3)
A couple of Core Duo Macbooks.
AppleTV
An iPad and a couple of iPhones.

Is there anything I'd be able to do using server on the iMac, and by the reverse, anything I'd be stopping myself doing. Now obviously Lion's a bit NDA at the minute so let's assume I was talking snow leopard, just for arguments sake Pros and cons?
LastLine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Mactasia
macrumors member

I'm not sure what you could achieve by running a server version at home. Maybe iCal/Mail/address book etc if you didn't want to pay for MobileMe? - but then iCloud will have all of these for free anyway...

Maybe the only thing it would be useful for at home for would be as a file store accessible from all of your machines? And as a backup location?
Mactasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:03 AM   #3
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactasia View Post
I'm not sure what you could achieve by running a server version at home. Maybe iCal/Mail/address book etc if you didn't want to pay for MobileMe? - but then iCloud will have all of these for free anyway...

Maybe the only thing it would be useful for at home for would be as a file store accessible from all of your machines? And as a backup location?
Perfect answer. Thank you. Standard for me it is. Never run server side software before so figured it was worth asking.
LastLine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Tags
advantages, disadvantages, server