Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenbrinkman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Not sure if this is a new feature of 10.7 DP4 or if it's been there, but I cannot figure out why the dates are either grey or purple on the right. Any ideas? I did an in-place upgrade from 10.6.7 to 10.7 DP4.

C5ULI.jpg

WaPwq.jpg

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Just guessing - but maybe it's local vs. external backups?

kenbrinkman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Just guessing - but maybe it's local vs. external backups?

I don't think so, the backups are always done wirelessly by a time capsule.
I've been thinking about it and maybe the grey are instances of backups where there were no changes and the purple are backups with changes. Just guessing.

tording99z28

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Any other thoughts on this? Mine are purple and silver too but not all of them, just seems the ones since I upgraded to lion are this way. Mine always uses wireless to backup to time capsule.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/15A.html

The purple "tick marks" indicate Time Machine backups on an external volume (external HD, Time Capsule, etc.)

If you have a portable Mac, the white "tick marks" indicate Local Snapshots on your startup disk.

Like normal Time Machine backups, Local snapshots are usually made hourly. If your Time Machine volume is available, both are normally done at the same time, so you'll see adjacent purple and white tick marks with the same time. If the Time Machine volume isn't available, Local snapshots will continue on the same schedule, so for that period you'll only see white ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.