Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
I could tell you but then I would have to kill you!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha..... dude.... no one here knows.... read some of the dumb threads here.... your guess is as good as all the rest of these guys

ben173

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
i think this is just another roomer like the iPad 3 in september

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
One could only assume that when iOS 5 is made public in "fall" there will be a new iPhone, seeing as Apple have released a new one every year since 2007.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I still have an iPhone 3G. It's basically a big piece of Junk. But I'm definitely not upgrading to an iPhone 4 now. That would be simply stupid.

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
I'd say wait until Sept as does seem likely - but who really knows... Certainly doesn't look likely until post-Summer. My phone is next to dead (deletes texts as I'm writing them) so am considering a Desire S or something off ebay, then re-sell as and when the iPhone comes out if the price is right!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My fear is that the next iPhone will be similar in hardware to the iPhone 4 and offered only in white.
After all they've got to have an awful lot of white iPhone 4 parts sitting around waiting to be used.
It also seems like all of the leaked/faked prototype pictures have been white.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
my fear is that the next iphone will be similar in hardware to the iphone 4 and offered only in white.
After all they've got to have an awful lot of white iphone 4 parts sitting around waiting to be used.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Although there is no solid information and one knows what Apple is going to do.... It doesnt really take a genius to make the connection between a Fall public release of ios 5 and the release of the next iPhone... just saying

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
I personally think that a 4G iPhone will be released prior to next summer. Therefore, that looks like a January release (1 year after CDMA model). I don't see a 4S coming out in September, IMO.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Given the regular fall lineup of new iPods, and the push toward the Christmas shopping season that follows, and given the release of iOS 5 in the fall, you can pretty much count on the next iPhone being released by September. I suppose it could be a bit earlier for some reason. I guess delays could push it to October, but absolutely no later than that.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I can almost guarantee that there will be a new iPhone in the fall, 2011, whatever it is called (iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, or something else). It will have a new processor and a better camera, but not much else. Kinda like the iPad 2.

What a dud year for Apple hardware design.

Tony

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I personally think that a 4G iPhone will be released prior to next summer. Therefore, that looks like a January release (1 year after CDMA model). I don't see a 4S coming out in September, IMO.

and miss out on Christmas sales? that doesnt seem to make too much business sense.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
As said it's all speculation. The only way to really know is when stores start running out of iphone stock. MR usually reports on this.
If apple is smart, they'll release either September or October. It usually takes a couple of months to get to the point where people don't have to wait several weeks to get the iphone--especially if they didn't pre-order or buy on the first day. This way, they should have enough for holiday sales.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
No one knows but Steve Jobs.

Well, not exactly. Someone has to be testing them now or at least very soon.

While being suitably circumspect, my well placed VZW source says Fall of this year and I believe them. If form holds, this person will personally be testing said phone very soon.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
and miss out on Christmas sales? that doesnt seem to make too much business sense.

Good point. But then again, does Apple ever really release products in time especially for Christmas? They don't really need the holiday hype to sell their products.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Good point. But then again, does Apple ever really release products in time especially for Christmas? They don't really need the holiday hype to sell their products.

Yes, iPods are released when they are in order to benefit from Christmas sales. That's why it was rumored that Apple wanted to shift iPhone releases to the fall.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
people still holding out for iphone 5s just buy a damn iphone 4

Patience is a virtue. Your advice is bad.

OP, the iPhone is likely to launch when iOS 5 will be launched, which is this fall i.e September as iOS betas always took about 2-3 months before being released. As someone else said here, Apple announces a new iPhone with every new iOS upgrade since the first iPhone.

i think this is just another roomer like the iPad 3 in september
You mean rumor, but it's far from the iPad 3. There won't be an iPad 3 this year, obviously. But there obviously will be an iPhone 5.
I still have an iPhone 3G. It's basically a big piece of Junk. But I'm definitely not upgrading to an iPhone 4 now. That would be simply stupid.
Same here, i'm still using my 3G since i got it on the first day of '08
My fear is that the next iPhone will be similar in hardware to the iPhone 4 and offered only in white.
After all they've got to have an awful lot of white iPhone 4 parts sitting around waiting to be used.
Don't need to worry, that won't happen.
Nope. Apple will lose the majority of their iPhone users, AT&T. Regardless, the next iPhone will be coming out for both carriers, in this Fall.
It's not about the hype, it's about selling off their inventory. Holiday season is the best time to do just that. Also, they make awesome gifts. Back To School is another time they do the same.

Last edited:

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
8MP main camera
1.3MP front camera
dual LED flash
reworked antenna design
A5 processor
1GB RAM
larger/borderless screen (didn't measure it so not sure how large)
HSDPA/HSUPA (sorry no LTE)
BT 2.1 w/ A2DP and EDR
802.11N
Thunderbolt capable

Release date is initially set for Fall 2011 but we all know that gets pushed back so probably by Winter 2011, we'll see the release. To be more specific I think it's going to be a November launch if the manufacture process is OK. They may change the specs from now to then but generally it's the same design and same template. Since this is the 5th year for the iPhone, the product is maturing which means that the switch to a more Christmas time centric cycle benefits Apple more. If you've got an iPhone 4, you'll probably stick with it unless you have to have the higher processing and cameras. If you're on a 3GS, you'll find that the new model is a very substantial upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.