Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
I am trying to connect to a friend's PC server from my G5 (running 10.3). I have a few questions about this. I downloaded a couple of FTP client software programs (Fetch and Interarchie) and was able to connect to his server and send the username, but two problems arose:

1) Interarchie sends the password but the PC server will not recognize it (it is correct too).

2) Fetch sends the username and password correctly, but the files will not display in the window once I am connected to the PC server.

Is there some software that comes bundled with OS 10.3 that I can use to accomplish my goal? I also read about using Safari and typing ftp:\\ instead of http:\\, is this something that will work?

Any help on this is appreciated. I have the server domain, Port #, Login name, and password for the server, but I seem to have a software problem.

Thanks,

Wildeyes.

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
Not sure.

I have been playing around at work (I have a PC here ug), and I am using the ftp:\\xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.org command in IE, and I am still having trouble with the password.

Last night I connected on the MAC, but after the password was sent, I saw an error message in the Transcript for Fetch that his server didn't understand a command sent from the apple.

Does this ring any bells? I am going to contact him today to try to figure out the password problem.

Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
topperdog said:
I have been playing around at work (I have a PC here ug), and I am using the ftp:\\xxxxxx.xxxxxxx.org command in IE, and I am still having trouble with the password.

Last night I connected on the MAC, but after the password was sent, I saw an error message in the Transcript for Fetch that his server didn't understand a command sent from the apple.

Does this ring any bells? I am going to contact him today to try to figure out the password problem.

Thanks.
Perhaps the command in question is one of those advanced commands that not all FTP servers support. If it's login-related, that would explain the failure to connect. Maybe the FTP client you're using isn't properly configured to fall back to more standard FTP commands?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
topperdog said:
I am trying to connect to a friend's PC server from my G5 (running 10.3). I have a few questions about this. I downloaded a couple of FTP client software programs (Fetch and Interarchie) and was able to connect to his server and send the username, but two problems arose:

1) Interarchie sends the password but the PC server will not recognize it (it is correct too).

2) Fetch sends the username and password correctly, but the files will not display in the window once I am connected to the PC server.

Is there some software that comes bundled with OS 10.3 that I can use to accomplish my goal? I also read about using Safari and typing ftp:\\ instead of http:\\, is this something that will work?

Any help on this is appreciated. I have the server domain, Port #, Login name, and password for the server, but I seem to have a software problem.

Thanks,

Wildeyes.
First off, you should use forward slashes as in ftp://ftp.ftpserver.org/ or http://ftp.ftpserver.org/ instead of the MS-DOS style back-slashes. If downloading is all that you want to do, then you can use the Finder's "Connect to Server..." function. This will mount the FTP site on your desktop. You will be able to download from the site, but not upload to it. If you want to upload, then you can get Interarchy, which will mount the FTP server as a two-way volume on your desktop. You can also get NetFinder, which allows you to navigate FTP as via a MacOS 9 Finder-like interface. There is also RBrowser and RBrowser Lite, which behave like the NeXTstep file browser, and many others.

Alas, you can no longer expect GUI-based FTP clients to be able to access all FTP sites. The UNIX-hosted sites will usually be OK. The Windows-hosted sites maybe problematic. If one client doesn't work for a particular site, try another.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Passive mode can be a problem

You should try it again after turning passive mode off. Note that most FTP clients default to passive mode being on.

In passive mode, the FTP server uses a whole range of ports up above 1024 (so not just port 20 and 21). This can break an FTP session, depending on the firewall setup on the server and/or on the client.

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
Appreciate the advice.

I appreciate all the advice. Curently I want to download, and I was sure that my G5 OS 10.3 had something preloaded that I could use to do this. I will try all the above suggestions and see what comes about.

Do I need to change anything in my Sharing preferences? Currently I have FTP turned on and Windows sharing turned on. Is there anything else in System Preferences that I could play with to solve the dilemma?

Thanks Again,

This is a great site for help.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
topperdog said:

Fetch and Interarchie are two great programs...years old but really up to date for OS X. In short, the problem is definitely not your software -- unless you entered the wrong settings. It's probably a configuration problem on the PC (you don't say if other computers can use its FTP server) or on the network.

If you go to safari and type/click an ftp link, it will open up the link like a virtual drive in the finder. Its kind of slow and not real useful. If you type/clink an ftp link in IE or Netscape, it will log on to the server and show you a directory listing.

You can also use the ftp program from the terminal line.

ftp <server>

where <server> is an ip address or name of the server. I actually prefer the ftp command line client to any of the graphical ones...its very fast.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
savar said:
Fetch and Interarchie are two great programs...years old but really up to date for OS X. In short, the problem is definitely not your software -- unless you entered the wrong settings. It's probably a configuration problem on the PC (you don't say if other computers can use its FTP server) or on the network.

If you go to safari and type/click an ftp link, it will open up the link like a virtual drive in the finder. Its kind of slow and not real useful. If you type/clink an ftp link in IE or Netscape, it will log on to the server and show you a directory listing.

You can also use the ftp program from the terminal line.

ftp <server>

where <server> is an ip address or name of the server. I actually prefer the ftp command line client to any of the graphical ones...its very fast.
I second that recommendation of the command-line ftp program. I use it any time I want to do something Finder's FTP client won't allow me to do. Those are the only two Mac OS X FTP programs I've ever used :)

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
Will try that.

I was messing around with it at lunch, and I made a hlaf ass attempt at trying this using Safari and IE by typing in the ftp link and going. It still seemed to hang up after the login and password were accepted by the server.

Would the Windows OS that he is using for this server be an issue? I have asked whether he uses XP or 2000, and am waiting for the response.

Should have a bit more detail tonight when I can tackle this issue more in depth. I have a feeling it is something very simple and stupid 9it always is).

Thanks.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
topperdog said:
Do I need to change anything in my Sharing preferences? Currently I have FTP turned on and Windows sharing turned on. Is there anything else in System Preferences that I could play with to solve the dilemma?
Your sharing preferences shouldn't have anything to do with you being able to connect out to another box - they just allow others to connect to you.

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
Got it working.

I took yoru advise and tried using Safari with no luck. I then tried IE 5.2 and got in on my older G4. When I checked the preferences in the system for networking, the only difference was PASSIVE FTP. AHHHHHHHH. I knew it would be something stupid. Appreciate all the advise given. This is a great resource for help.

Peace.

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
USA
I've also had very little luck using Safari or IE to get into ftp servers. Never tried turning passive mode off though, knew there was a checkbox for it, but never thought to turn it off to see if it would help. Command-line ftp is a wonderful thing to be able to know how to use, always seems to work and is very fast.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
You don't need any program for ftp

Actually you don't need any program to access a ftp server.
It's built in the Finder.
Just go to "Go" the "Connect to Server" (Command K)
then type ftp://your_domaine
it will ask you for user name and password.
Once connected everything look like another drive, just drag and drop the files you want to transfer.

topperdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Earth
All good advice.

I haven't tried the "Finder" way to connect to FTP. I am a little perplexed that safari won't connect to the FTP site I was trying to access. I hate using IE for anything (leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I open it).

Anyone know what the "Passive FTP" actually does? I know it allowed me access to the server, but I am a little fuzzy as to what passive does to my setup.

Going to try to use the "Finder" way when I go home from work in a few minutes.

Thanks everyone for all the advise. This site is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.