Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meinhandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Does anyone think the proprietary iClouds stands a chance against Google free services?

vultureboy

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Blackpool, UK
Google Cloud doesn't seem to sync contacts with my iPhone
Google Cloud doesn't seem to sync my photos
Google Cloud doesn't seem to locate my iphone for me
Google Cloud doesn't hold backups of my iDevices
Google Cloud doesn't remember my apps / music and let me download them

So unless google start offering these services anytime soon I'm pretty sure that iCloud stands a very good chance.

meinhandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011

So unless google start offering these services anytime soon I'm pretty sure that iCloud stands a very good chance.

A droid can do all that you mention.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
When did Apple change the name from iCloud to iClouds?

Yesterday...didn't you get the memo? :)

But seriously, to the OP, this is starting to sound like an iOS vs. Android argument waiting to happen. It's pointless. Google has their services and they work well for Android users, Apple has iCloud and, once launched if it works as advertised, it will be their service for iOS users. Use what works for you and be happy with it.

vultureboy

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Blackpool, UK
A droid can do all that you mention.

Well I don't have a droid, I have an iPhone so the answer to your question is...

Yes iCloud stands a great chance against the google cloud since it has a niche market with iPhone/iPad/Mac users and google don't offer a comparable service without changing devices.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010

You can sync your contacts on iPhone with Google sync

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Industry articles seem to be saying that Google has to quickly step up if they want to match Apple in this regard, that by this time next year in most people's minds "the cloud" will = "iCloud."

So yes, I think Apple will do very well. 200M iOS users will find it immediately and immensely useful. And with Apple's advertising, it won't be long before iCloud is known to everyone, talked about, compared against, etc.

By the way, isn't it pitiful to see so many Android supporters over here? You'd think if they had confidence in their choice they would just enjoy their choice. I realize Apple users over the years have been accused of doing the same, and that's true, but it speaks to the same insecurity. Back when Apple was a tiny force in the marketplace, Apple users felt insecure about that. Now it's Android users showing the insecurity. Every time I see yet another Android thread here I feel increasingly sorry for the posters.

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Its hilarious to know that this guy is probably fuming since he can't reply to us because he was just banned.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
By the way, isn't it pitiful to see so many Android supporters over here? You'd think if they had confidence in their choice they would just enjoy their choice. I realize Apple users over the years have been accused of doing the same, and that's true, but it speaks to the same insecurity. Back when Apple was a tiny force in the marketplace, Apple users felt insecure about that. Now it's Android users showing the insecurity. Every time I see yet another Android thread here I feel increasingly sorry for the posters.

I am an Android supporter and I will take the bait and explain why I am (still) here.

I came over during antennagate. Mostly because I was interested in seeing the Apple-faithful's reaction to Apple's error and finger-pointing over their mistake.

The reason I was interested in the reaction is because at that point iphone fans were largely a group of very vocal, very condescending enthusiasts that did not bother with objectivity, technical expertise or being informed about anything that wasn't put out by Apple's marketing dept. In short, I wanted to see the fanboys squirm and rationalize their way around a glaring flaw with the phone.

I rarely start threads here. I lurk a LOT, and usually only post to correct or debate threads & topics to offer new information or a different perspective. There is little point in arguing with a fanboy if you are trying to change his mind... but there is value in putting out information that less biased minds would not otherwise see. This gives enough information for those people to do their own research and make their own minds.

Having said that, things here have definitely changed in the past few months. Many people who still prefer Apple and iOS have started to (begrudgingly, sometimes) admit that there are alternative mobile platforms that rival and/or eclipse the features and service offered by iOS.

There are a ton of threads about Android, but it isn't the original Android fans that are creating them. What you're seeing are the bandwagon-eers and casual consumers creating a bit of a backlash against the former propoganda/presumption that iPhone is the say-all and end-all of smartphones. These are people who are not concerned with the specifics of lay behind the screen of their phones. Its the perception that comes with the logo/brand that they care about.

Unfortunately for the forum... this is the type of customer that made the iPhone so popular. Fair weather fans that will turn on you as soon as the wind starts to blow in another direction. Also, it doesn't help that Steve Jobs comes off as an arrogant jerk that likes to make snarky comments about the competition (and then emulates them :-/ ). Trolling begets more trolling, after all.... there are more than a few people who feel like the iphone has had this coming to them.

All popular products have their rise and fall. iPhone isn't going anywhere. The forum will get back to normal when zealots on the Apple side stop trying to convince the entire world that iphone is the best at everything (despite evidence to the contrary).

No one trolls android forums because most android posters there will readily admit that their device of choice isn't some kind of magical jesus-phone.

Hueyfreeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Google Sync is not proprietary. Most of Google's apps are on mulitple platforms. The reason I respect Google so much is that they are not just supporting their OS and saying screw the rest. Google is working hard to make sure that every platform gets the google apps. They have native apps on every single platform also. Apple is really the only ones who try to make proprietary apps (or worst make a proprietary app and say it will be open **Facetime**).

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Thank you, Tarzanman, for that nice explanation. Needless to say, my compalaints are not about posters such as yourself. I wish we could all enjoy our tech without being nasty to each other.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
For me it is Google as it is much more cross platform. I am not a fan of being lock in to a single brand of stuff. I use multiple brands of products and OS so Google keeps all that sync up for me no problem.

1.)Google Cloud doesn't seem to sync contacts with my iPhone
2.) Google Cloud doesn't seem to sync my photos
3. )Google Cloud doesn't seem to locate my iphone for me
4.)Google Cloud doesn't hold backups of my iDevices
5.)Google Cloud doesn't remember my apps / music and let me download them

1.) You are beyond wrong right there. Google been doing that for a lot long than Apple and it works across all smart phones.
2.) It can happen on the other smart phones no issue. If it can not do it on the iPhone that is Apple blocking it.

3.) It could if Apple would allow it. It can do it on the other smart phones as it can run in the back ground no problem.

4.) Umm even on Apple your backups are stored on your local computer and not iCloud or Apple servers.

5.) Sorry but Google does not store stuff purchase from other stores. That is kind of a piracy issues there. They store everything you have ever paid for from the market place.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
1.) You are beyond wrong right there. Google been doing that for a lot long than Apple and it works across all smart phones.
2.) It can happen on the other smart phones no issue. If it can not do it on the iPhone that is Apple blocking it.

3.) It could if Apple would allow it. It can do it on the other smart phones as it can run in the back ground no problem.

4.) Umm even on Apple your backups are stored on your local computer and not iCloud or Apple servers.

5.) Sorry but Google does not store stuff purchase from other stores. That is kind of a piracy issues there. They store everything you have ever paid for from the market place.

Allow me to retort. Again, this is not an argument but just a rebuttal.

1. Google uses Google exchange to sync the contacts, calendar, mail. The OP was talking about the iPhone I believe. Not some "other phone". I might be mistaken, but thats the general perception I got.
2. You are incorrect. Apple is not blocking anyone from syncing photos. There are already many apps that do that already. Google merely either does not want to, or hasn't created a method to do so.
3. I believe the post was talking about the iPhone, not "other phones". However, I would also think that apple would lock down that API to prevent nefarious deeds be done to location gathering by unauthorized individuals. *see stalkers*.
4. True, backups are stored locally.
5. It sounds as if you're saying Google doesn't store things because of piracy issue. Apple, while keeping an iron fist control over their store does not have problems with storing apps, etc. that you've purchased. Thus no piracy. With Apple remembering your purchase history, you're afforded the ability and control over your purchases. Past and present. I think on this its almost a wash on what the two stores offer. But I do think with the iCloud Apple might have the upper hand on future options.

Again, I'm not arguing just trying to provide a counter point. I really dont' care what other phone someone else might have. His/her phone is irrelevant to mine, and I don't care what someone else thinks of my phone. haha

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Industry articles seem to be saying that Google has to quickly step up if they want to match Apple in this regard, that by this time next year in most people's minds "the cloud" will = "iCloud."

So yes, I think Apple will do very well. 200M iOS users will find it immediately and immensely useful. And with Apple's advertising, it won't be long before iCloud is known to everyone, talked about, compared against, etc.

I'm not so sure iCloud will be as big as Apple wishes it to be. Storing music for re-download yes. But I can't see it taking off with Windows users, particularly with Windows pushing their own cloud storage service.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Allow me to retort. Again, this is not an argument but just a rebuttal.

1. Google uses Google exchange to sync the contacts, calendar, mail. The OP was talking about the iPhone I believe. Not some "other phone". I might be mistaken, but thats the general perception I got.
2. You are incorrect. Apple is not blocking anyone from syncing photos. There are already many apps that do that already. Google merely either does not want to, or hasn't created a method to do so.
3. I believe the post was talking about the iPhone, not "other phones". However, I would also think that apple would lock down that API to prevent nefarious deeds be done to location gathering by unauthorized individuals. *see stalkers*.
4. True, backups are stored locally.
5. It sounds as if you're saying Google doesn't store things because of piracy issue. Apple, while keeping an iron fist control over their store does not have problems with storing apps, etc. that you've purchased. Thus no piracy. With Apple remembering your purchase history, you're afforded the ability and control over your purchases. Past and present. I think on this its almost a wash on what the two stores offer. But I do think with the iCloud Apple might have the upper hand on future options.

Again, I'm not arguing just trying to provide a counter point. I really dont' care what other phone someone else might have. His/her phone is irrelevant to mine, and I don't care what someone else thinks of my phone. haha

1. Yeah it is an exchange system on the iPhone but they have things like Google sync for the blackberry and I believe WM 6.1. WP7 can hook in to the exchanged part along with the iPhone. Android it can just pull it out of it. I use Google any how so a non issue for me on that. iPhone I would not be surprised in the least if it is using some type of exchanged system for contacts.

2. LIke I said I do not know about the iPhone. I know Picasa is out there for BB and Android. So that is handle that way. Do not know if that was ever put up on the iPhone.

3. Hey not my problem if he is stuck on the iPhone. It is Apple fault for blocking that API to other services for what ever reasons. Just can not blame Google for not being able to do it.

4. no argument there.

5. No you got it wrong. It is more that Google is not going to store Apps that were not bought from the Android MarketPlace. It working like Apple in the sense that it is using your purchase history to keep track of everything and just lets you re-download it just like Apple.
The Piracy part I was talking about was they are not going to back up Apps from an App store that they do not own because they can not verify that you bought the Apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.