Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
Hi everyone, I hope you can help me with this:

I've downloaded the latest Ubuntu version 32 bit ISO and burned it on a CD using Disk Utility on my MBP. Then I restarted my laptop, held OPT, selected the Ubuntu CD and proceeded to the installation.

After Ubuntu's loading screen, a black screen appeared with the following:

"initramfs unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

I don't know what to do next. What it's wrong? It's confusing to me.

Thanks you,
Guido

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
I would like to add that I tried before using Virtual Box and I successfully virtualized it. The problem is that I want to full install it instead of just using virtualization.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I would like to add that I tried before using Virtual Box and I successfully virtualized it. The problem is that I want to full install it instead of just using virtualization.

One thing you gotta watch, even if you are successful. I've heard that the fans in a Mac are controlled by OSX, not the bios like a PC.

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
That can't be true. If so, people using Windows for gaming will literally burn their laptops as the fans are not controlled by Windows but OS X.

ZipOnTrousers

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
"initramfs unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

Lets break this down.

"initramfs" is a temporary file system used in the boot process of the Linux kernel.

The message goes on to state that it cannot "find a medium containing a live file system".

This means the initramfs system is unable to find a device where it can install Ubuntu, in this case that means your hard drive.

From the steps you listed, I believe your problem is that you are trying to install Ubunut clean over the top of OS X, though you may not realise this. You can't just install an OS onto the same hard drive another OS is currently installed on as-is. This is where we need to introduce partitioning.

Partitioning a disk involves "splitting" that disk so that the machine recognises it as two separate discs, which can be used for two separate purposes (like maybe each having a different OS installed. See where I'm going?)

So, this is what I believe your problem is: you are trying to install Ubuntu, but not onto its own partition so it cannot install. You need to read up on dual booting using boot camp and partitioning your hard drive, a good starting point would be the below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac#Basic instructions

NOTE: DO NOT MESS ABOUT WITH DISK PARTITIONING UNTIL YOU HAVE RESEARCHED AND ARE CONFIDENT. ALWAYS MAKE FULL BACKUPS BEFORE DISK PARTITIONING.

If you have any questions let me know, and if any of the more experienced posters have anything to correct me on or add they are more than welcome.

Zip

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
Thanks for your answer. I wanted to just use the "Try Feature" of Ubuntu and guessed I didn't need a partition for that purpose.
I will partition and come back later to share the details :)

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
If you haven't already take a look at Ubuntu Help MacBook Pro 8,1. It's worth noting that some things like WiFi do not work.

That can't be true. If so, people using Windows for gaming will literally burn their laptops as the fans are not controlled by Windows but OS X.
There are issues with Linux and fan control, whereas the drivers in Windows handle that fine. In the link above there's some information on a fix.

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
Crap, I need the Wi-Fi :(
Guess I will be better with virtualization until the compatibility problems are fixed.
Thanks anyway.

homunq

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
it can't find the optical drive

Contrary to the post above, this is NOT anything to do with the partitioning of your internal hard drive. What is happening is that at a certain point during the boot process, Ubuntu is losing track of the CD/DVD drive, so it can't complete the boot. There may be some crazy incantations you could perform at this point in the terminal to get it to find the drive and continue the boot, but the easiest thing to do would be to copy the CD image to a USB as explained here. You may still need the CD to start the booting process, but when initramfs gets "lost" it would just find the USB, think it's the CD, and continue to boot normally. It's a little crazy, but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.