Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
stark4
macrumors 6502

Hide Admin in Login screen?

How can i hide admin in login screen. I have 2 accounts ... 1 admin ( to maintain the mac) so i don't really use that account and 1 standard account that everybody use. How can i hide the admin account in the login screen?

thanks
stark4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark4 View Post
How can i hide admin in login screen. I have 2 accounts ... 1 admin ( to maintain the mac) so i don't really use that account and 1 standard account that everybody use. How can i hide the admin account in the login screen?

thanks
System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options > Display Login Windows as > Select "Name and Password"

Better not forget the User Name and Password, though.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
stark4
macrumors 6502

yeah i know that but i just want to use the "List of users" but there must be a way to hide the Admin.

Anyone?
stark4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark4 View Post
yeah i know that but i just want to use the "List of users" but there must be a way to hide the Admin.

Anyone?
Pray tell, how would you login as an Admin if the account is hidden and you're not using the User Name and Password login window?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

com.apple.loginwindow.plist has a HiddenUserList set in it.

Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array-add user1shortname user2shortname
Should do the trick. To remove the hidden ones and display them again do

Code:
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
Pray tell, how would you login as an Admin if the account is hidden and you're not using the User Name and Password login window?
It's possible to have a list and enable 'Other..' as a menu option that gives and User/pass input.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Mactasia
macrumors member

The above post is a very nice solution.

Alternatively, you could enable 'root' and use that as your admin account (it will show 'Other' at login window to login as 'root').
Mactasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:42 PM   #7
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactasia View Post
Alternatively, you could enable 'root' and use that as your admin account (it will show 'Other' at login window to login as 'root').
This is not a good idea, you don't want the user permanently logged in as root. Very, very bad idea. If you need root access, enable it for what you need and log back out!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 View Post
At the login window there is a special key combination to get the the Other login. I think its command and right arrow or option-enter.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Mactasia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
This is not a good idea, you don't want the user permanently logged in as root. Very, very bad idea. If you need root access, enable it for what you need and log back out!
Well the OP said that he "didn't really use the admin account" - so imho, there would be no harm done and he wouldn't have to phaff around with plist files if he's not to sure about what he is doing.
Mactasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 07:19 AM   #10
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

But the OP does use the admin account, he/she just doesn't log into it. You need admin privileges to install applications, make changes to some pref panes, etc. So the OP must use it for some things. Switching admin for root is always always always a bad idea.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X