Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
page11_blog_entry45-dsc01454.jpg

There really isn’t a need for an introduction here, as SGP is widely known for making some of the most simplistic and stylish iDevice accessories on the market, especially when it come to screen protectors and protection kits. SGP recently unveiled it’s new slider style case, the Linear Series, which comes in both colored versions and clear versions. Very much like their previous offering, the Ultra Slider, the Linear takes that same aspect and removes the infamous watermarking issue, adds some cool new additions, and has compatibility with all types of screen protectors. So, does the SGP Linear Series for the iPhone 4 improve on the issues seen in the previous version, or will it fail in terms of functionality and design? Read on of the full review to find out.

If I remember correctly, SGP stands for ‘Stylish People’s Good Partner’ or something along those lines. So I was kind of expecting the Linear to arrive in somewhat fancy packing, more so than what I am used to. That’s exactly what I got. The SGP Linear came in a very simple plastic and glass box that featured the details of the case on the back in a nice matte texture. After taking a close inspection at the packaging, I found that SGP does not only give you the case itself, but they are also kind enough to send out one of their Steinheil screen protectors, a microfiber cloth, an instruction manual, and a few lens diffusers, which are used to reduce bounce back from the camera. A great deal considering SGP makes some of the finest screen protectors in the world, at least from what I have tried. I have also heard from a load of other tech reviewers that SGP includes a crystal clear screen protector with every one of their cases, just in case anyone happened to be wondering.

Now, the SGP Linear has a very peculiar design to it. While being a slider style case, there are many different components and parts to the case and it can make the installation process a little bit difficult if I do say so myself. The case is made up of three parts, a top slider piece, a bottom slider piece (which only goes on one way) that is much smaller than the top piece, and of course the back plate. To install the case, you take the back piece and line it properly with the backside (there are ridges in the corners to help you align the case properly) of your iPhone 4. Once that is done you need to hold the back plate in place while you slide the top portion on, making sure that you align all of your buttons and ports properly. For the bottom piece, you also need to make sure it is facing the right way, otherwise it will not snap shut onto the top part of the case. Once that is done, you should have a pretty tight fit on your iPhone 4.

Now that we have that done and out of the way, let’s take a quick tour around the perimeter and back of the case starting at the top. At the top of the case you will find two individual cutouts for the sleep/wake button and the audio jack. While the sleep/wake button was very easy to get to I did find that the audio jack was a tad bit on the small side and will not fit with oversized jacks, although most headphone and earphone jacks will fit just fine. On the left side of the Linear you will find one cutout for the volume rockers and the silent toggle switch, which were very easy to get to although there seems to be a little bit of creaking around the case, which worries me to a slight extend due to the fact that it may stretch out the case and may degrade from the actual functionality over time.

page11_blog_entry45-dsc01448-2.jpg

The last part around the perimeter of the case is the bottom, where you will find three individual cutouts for the speaker, the microphone, and the dock connector. The speaker and the mic had absolutely no problem when performing their specific functions due to the fact that they are perfectly cut to the dimensions of the antenna. As for the dock opening, that was a different story. While being big enough to fit the Apple cable just fine, you may have some problems when it comes to large size cables. Switching around to the back of the case you will find a cutout for the camera and the flash that has presented no flash issues as of thus far. You may also want to take note of the fact that SGP’s logo is engraved on both the side and the back of the case. A bit much for my taste, but to each his own.

Now, there are a few things that I would like to mention right off the bat. The first being that this case is a fingerprint magnet and will pick up smudges and grease stains like a beast. I was constantly having to wipe down my phone to make sure that everything looked shiny and new. Also, the case does seem to have some problems when it comes to fitment, as I did notice that the case, if not installed perfect the first time, would become misaligned with the antenna band and such. I do have to note one last tiny thing. The installation, as demonstrated above, can be quite tedious, and since this is a three part style slider case, you may feel some frustration after a lot of failed attempts (just like I did) to install this case.

The SGP Linear certainly isn’t a bad case by any means, I still have a whole lot to discuss about. While both the sides and the backside of the case do tend to pick up a lot of fingerprints, the coating that is presented on the polycarbonate is very scratch resistant and had absolutely no blemishes after a few weeks of usage. Also, since it is scratch protective, it looks very shiny, and gives off a very fashionable vibe. Since were are talking about fashionable vibes, it would be nice to add that the case comes in a plethora of color combinations for both the sides and the backplate in case you ever wanted to switch the colors around a bit. The case is also very simplistic for a slider case and retains the sleek and modern look of the iPhone 4 by being slim and not overbearing. Lastly, the lip of the case (which has no lay on the table design, unfortunately) does not touch the screen at all, so you can use any type of screen protector while rocking the Linear.

Overall, I have really been enjoying the SGP Linear for the iPhone 4 and it has become one of my favorite slider style cases. Despite some few minor design flaws, SGP definitely delivers in terms of simplistic design and functionally. I can definitely recommend this one and the added addition of SGP’s finest screen protectors make the price just that much better. You can pick up the SGP Linear Color Series for the iPhone 4 for $24.99 over at Cretouch’s website. Follow the link at the bottom to get your hands on one.

Rating: 4/5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.