Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Austin M.
macrumors 6502a

CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for iPad 2 (Review)

I have always been a huge fan of folio style cases for both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2, and when I saw the new CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2, I immediately wanted to test one out. There isnít a huge need for an introduction here, as you should already know by now who CaseCrown is from my previous review, like the Chameleon Glider for the iPhone 4. If you donít know who they are, they make all kinds of cases and accessories for iDevices and stand out from the crowd by adding a little flavor and uniqueness to their entire line up. The CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2 features a ton of different design elements and add ons. The most apparent being the fact that unlike some of the other folio cases available on the iPad 2 market, the CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2 showcases a vertical position instead of horizontal. Pretty neat if I do say so myself. Catch the full review after the break!

As with most CaseCrown packaging, the Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2 came in a small plastic wrapping (if I remember correctly, I threw the packaging out right after receiving the case) that includes the case, no other goodies to be found here. I was actually quite surprised that CaseCrown did not include any other goodies mainly due to the fact that the Chameleon Glider included both a screen protector, a very nice microfiber cloth, and a card installer. Anyway, letís get back onto track of the usual routine. Installing the case on the iPad 2 was very easy and took me a mere few seconds to actually get in. All you have to do is vertically install the case into the slot on the top, which is made very easy due to the very smooth and soft felt. After that, your done, no other work is required.

Now that we have that done and out of the way, letís take a quick overview of all the buttons and the port access. Starting at the front of the case you will of course find the flap that covers up the screen. Unfortunately, there is not sleep & awake function incorporated on the front. You will also notice CaseCrownís logo nicely and subtly embedded on the bottom corner on the front. Taking a peak at the back you will find CaseCrownís logo, and a nice piece of plastic used in conjunction with the stand. And, when in use, there will be a strap that holds against the front to keep the front part of the case snugged in tight. When you open up the CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2 you will of course find the iPad itself as well as plethora of different cutouts and access buttons. Starting on the inside you will find that CaseCrown has in fact added a very nice microfiber lining so that the screen of your iPad 2 does not get scratched. Next, you will find three dug in cutouts for the home button and the front facing camera that did not obstruct each of their individual functions in any way, shape, or form. Letís now take a quick glance over the perimeter of the case.

Starting at the top you will find that the case has small cutouts for the sleep/wake button that I found kind of hard to activate due to how misaligned it was, same goes with the camera and the volume rockers and silent toggle switch. They all seemed to be misaligned by a few millimeters and I found it kind of a pain to actually access these individual cutouts. Lastly, you will find a very wide opening for the dock connector and the speaker. The speaker had no problem emitting noise and I found the dock connector large enough to fit with most third party cables. Now, the case itself does feature a very nice stand function that can be used in one of two ways depending on the side and the angle that your prop your iPad 2 up. You can shift it for watching movies at a more steeper styled layout or at a very less steeper layout for typing emails, writing notes, and so on and so fourth. There is one little thing that I do not particularly like about this stand though, I really donít feel that CaseCrown needed to integrate a stand since typing in portrait mode can be quite a pain and watching movies in the same orientation are a lot smaller than landscape. Overall, I think that CaseCrown should have just left the stand feature in the horizontal version of the case.

I do have a lot of things to say about the CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2, some good, some bad. To begin, letís start off with the positives and then weíll get to the negatives a little bit later. First, I loved the fact that CaseCrown decided to go with a much simpler design when it came to the case and dinít overpack it with additional and useless features. And although not a very useful feature, it was nice to see that CaseCrown went the extra mile any added in a stand, wether itís intuitive or not. Also, the feel of the case is pretty good, and is very smooth to the touch.

Unfortunately, thatís where some problems started to begin, since the case was a little bit more smooth, I found it very hard to actually get a grip, so it may not be the best to walk and use your iPad with this case due to the fear of potentially dropping it. There are two things that I briefly would like to mention that I didnít get to cover to a full extent. The first being that a lot of the ports (sleep/wake button, volume rockers, camera, etc) donít exactly align perfectly with the case. Although not a huge deal, I find it kind of a pain when you are trying to use those functions. Lastly, I found that the case felt cheaply made due to the material used and that there was some bowing on the front when the iPad was installed.

As an overall though, the CaseCrown Royal Standby for the iPad 2 is a pretty good case if you are a person that is in to folio style cases for the iPad 2. While definitely not the best case available on the market, this case may be able to hold its own to some of the other folios available for the iPad 2. The added function of a stand that can be viewable in horizontal instead of the usual vertical position (although not as useful as I would have thought it would be) is cool as well. If CaseCrown can work out some of the minor issues with the case, this case could have a lot of potential. You can pick up the CaseCrown Royal Standby Vertical Folio for the iPad 2 for $35.95 on CaseCrownís website. Hit up the link for more info.

Rating: 3.5/5

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories