Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Kilamite
macrumors G3

iPhone Abroad And Using The GPS

I'm going abroad, and I've downloaded some offline maps that allow me to use the GPS to pinpoint my location.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a cellular connection for the GPS to work? I know it's an assisted GPS, so cellular connection speeds up finding your location, but is it essential?

2. If a cellular connection is required, will it come under 'roaming' if my iPhone uses cell towers abroad to help pinpoint my location, costing me money?

I'll be turning data roaming and mobile internet off, along with 3G etc to avoid any surprise costs.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:11 AM   #2
bmms8
macrumors 68020

i cant answer all your questions, but i can tell you that you dont need data on for your GPS to work on offline maps.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Fliesen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
I'm going abroad, and I've downloaded some offline maps that allow me to use the GPS to pinpoint my location.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a cellular connection for the GPS to work? I know it's an assisted GPS, so cellular connection speeds up finding your location, but is it essential?

2. If a cellular connection is required, will it come under 'roaming' if my iPhone uses cell towers abroad to help pinpoint my location, costing me money?

I'll be turning data roaming and mobile internet off, along with 3G etc to avoid any surprise costs.
pinpointing your location via GPS satellites doesn't consume data
just turn off 'data roaming' and you'll be perfectly fine.

i always download some 3€*city guide app for offline maps before my trips abroad, works like a charm

once, in slovenia, i actually didn't even have an offline map, but just used a google maps pin to remember where i parked my car.
essentially used GPS tracking with the build in compass (but no actual map) to find my way back
Fliesen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:20 AM   #4
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

I'm overseas now, and can confirm. Just ensure "data roaming" is turned OFF and you are fine. GPS works as a stand alone, no need for cell towers. However, I always leave my phone turned on incase someone needs to text me. International texts are free (incoming). Well, more accurately, incoming texts go against your plan's bucket. In my case, I have unlimited texting in the States.

Outgoing texts do cost $.50 per message.

This allows me to get a text if needed, then find WiFi to call home (all for free).
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I know the GPS doesn't need cellular connection to work, but helps speed up finding your location, so just needed to double check it wasn't going to cost me anything (no data being used, but I know cell companies try to get every penny out of you and thought I'd get charged for my iPhone 'pinging' their cell towers!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliesen View Post
once, in slovenia, i actually didn't even have an offline map, but just used a google maps pin to remember where i parked my car.
essentially used GPS tracking with the build in compass (but no actual map) to find my way back
Haha, nice. I'll keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
I'm overseas now, and can confirm. Just ensure "data roaming" is turned OFF and you are fine. GPS works as a stand alone, no need for cell towers. However, I always leave my phone turned on incase someone needs to text me. International texts are free (incoming). Well, more accurately, incoming texts go against your plan's bucket. In my case, I have unlimited texting in the States.

Outgoing texts do cost $.50 per message.

This allows me to get a text if needed, then find WiFi to call home (all for free).
Good advice.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone