Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Kilamite
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
iPhone Abroad And Using The GPS

I'm going abroad, and I've downloaded some offline maps that allow me to use the GPS to pinpoint my location.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a cellular connection for the GPS to work? I know it's an assisted GPS, so cellular connection speeds up finding your location, but is it essential?

2. If a cellular connection is required, will it come under 'roaming' if my iPhone uses cell towers abroad to help pinpoint my location, costing me money?

I'll be turning data roaming and mobile internet off, along with 3G etc to avoid any surprise costs.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.10
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 8
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 6TB | OS X 10.9
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:11 AM   #2
bmms8
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
i cant answer all your questions, but i can tell you that you dont need data on for your GPS to work on offline maps.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro
16 GB iPhone 6 Plus
bmms8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Fliesen
macrumors 6502a
 
Fliesen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
I'm going abroad, and I've downloaded some offline maps that allow me to use the GPS to pinpoint my location.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a cellular connection for the GPS to work? I know it's an assisted GPS, so cellular connection speeds up finding your location, but is it essential?

2. If a cellular connection is required, will it come under 'roaming' if my iPhone uses cell towers abroad to help pinpoint my location, costing me money?

I'll be turning data roaming and mobile internet off, along with 3G etc to avoid any surprise costs.
pinpointing your location via GPS satellites doesn't consume data
just turn off 'data roaming' and you'll be perfectly fine.

i always download some 3€*city guide app for offline maps before my trips abroad, works like a charm


once, in slovenia, i actually didn't even have an offline map, but just used a google maps pin to remember where i parked my car.
essentially used GPS tracking with the build in compass (but no actual map) to find my way back
Fliesen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:20 AM   #4
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816
 
CosmoPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Carolina
I'm overseas now, and can confirm. Just ensure "data roaming" is turned OFF and you are fine. GPS works as a stand alone, no need for cell towers. However, I always leave my phone turned on incase someone needs to text me. International texts are free (incoming). Well, more accurately, incoming texts go against your plan's bucket. In my case, I have unlimited texting in the States.

Outgoing texts do cost $.50 per message.

This allows me to get a text if needed, then find WiFi to call home (all for free).
__________________
2011 27" 2.7GHz iMac 2012 2.5GHz 13" MBP iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S / iPhone 5 iPad Air AppleTV / AEBS 802.11ac
CosmoPilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Kilamite
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
I know the GPS doesn't need cellular connection to work, but helps speed up finding your location, so just needed to double check it wasn't going to cost me anything (no data being used, but I know cell companies try to get every penny out of you and thought I'd get charged for my iPhone 'pinging' their cell towers!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliesen View Post
once, in slovenia, i actually didn't even have an offline map, but just used a google maps pin to remember where i parked my car.
essentially used GPS tracking with the build in compass (but no actual map) to find my way back
Haha, nice. I'll keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
I'm overseas now, and can confirm. Just ensure "data roaming" is turned OFF and you are fine. GPS works as a stand alone, no need for cell towers. However, I always leave my phone turned on incase someone needs to text me. International texts are free (incoming). Well, more accurately, incoming texts go against your plan's bucket. In my case, I have unlimited texting in the States.

Outgoing texts do cost $.50 per message.

This allows me to get a text if needed, then find WiFi to call home (all for free).
Good advice.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.10
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 8
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 6TB | OS X 10.9
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using iPhone abroad abz1981 iPhone 12 Mar 6, 2014 08:46 PM
iPhone Abroad Question flyersphanatic9 iPhone 8 Jan 3, 2013 08:26 PM
Has anyone taken their Verizon iPhone 5 abroad? ktowe iPhone 1 Oct 2, 2012 11:30 AM
GPS solution for traveling abroad nigelly iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Aug 13, 2012 08:41 PM
Resolved: Using iPhone 4 Abroad lukefinch iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 Jun 22, 2012 07:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC