Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I think it would be interesting to hear what folks will be doing as workarounds IF iDisk and Gallery are gone after next June. Assuming iCloud for Documents only provides for the synching of Pages and Numbers files only, what will you use to sync other files (such as PDF's, etc.)? Plus what will you use for public access to your photo collections?

What I am going to do - I will use iCloud for Documents for my Pages and Numbers files. For all my other iDisk files, I will use Dropbox. For my photo collections that I want others to see I use Google Picasa. I haven't ever used iWeb, so I don't need to worry about a substitute for that. If I did use iWeb though, I'd probably switch to Google Sites.

So basically iCloud for Documents, Dropbox and Picasa will be my replacements for no iDisk and Gallery.

Anyone else got any other workarounds you might use?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
My guesses based on the way Steve described how they're killing the file system and the fact that there is a menu to buy more iCloud space:
- PDFs will be able to be synced as part of your iBooks library and will count against your iCloud space.
- Photo albums will be able to be synced as part of your Photos app and will count against your iCloud space. Online photo sharing goes away.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I'm trying to decide what I would use in place of Gallery. I actually think Gallery has a really nice web interface and a nice iPad/iPhone app as well. It would be a shame if they get rid of it. I don't use it for photos. I've been using Kodak Gallery forever since I buy prints from them, so I never switched in the first place. But I do like Gallery for videos. It's nice to have a place with a nice simple interface and password protection for videos of the kids I share with relatives. I don't want to put that stuff on YouTube. Anyone have any ideas of a good replacement?

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I don't think anyone knows for sure what is going to happen to iDisk or gallery.

It would be sad for apple to do away with this given that gallery is primarily a photosharing device, and iDisk a mountable drive you can access remotely. ( I don't really want to depend on some form of "Back to my Mac" for this.

What we do know is that the icloud API's will be available, so so one will come up with something.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I was wondering many of the same things and of course I don't know b/c Apple has not specifically said yet but after thinking about it more neither of those two Apps will be needed anymore when you think about it. Those items viewed by both will already be on all devices without having to open another App to view. This of course forces Pages, Numbers etc but I'm also guessing it will change many 3rd party Apps also. So I guess I'm not sure but certainly have been asking myself those same Q's. I like Gallery and use it often.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I was wondering many of the same things and of course I don't know b/c Apple has not specifically said yet but after thinking about it more neither of those two Apps will be needed anymore when you think about it. Those items viewed by both will already be on all devices without having to open another App to view. This of course forces Pages, Numbers etc but I'm also guessing it will change many 3rd party Apps also. So I guess I'm not sure but certainly have been asking myself those same Q's. I like Gallery and use it often.

I think many of their functions will be taken up by the new features, but the ability to use Gallery to share pictures/videos with others doesn't really seem like it will work with Photo Stream - you'll be able to see your pictures on all of your own devices, but it's not clear that you'll be able to share them with someone who isn't on your iCloud account.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Photo Stream is an ass backwards, short sighted view of photo sharing. The very reason I use Gallery is to share photo's not just across devices, but across platforms and people. I have 10,000 photos, I do not need nor want any of them on my phone or iPad, I want to use that limited memory for apps, movies, music, etc. I also want to share some photo's with other people on demand, not one by one.

Why Apple thinks synching 1000 photos to devices is a good idea or better than Gallery has me baffled.

So, if this goes away and not available as a premium option, then I will switch everything to my PhotoBucket account, likewise with iDisk, I have 10 gigs of data, docs, short movies from my digital camera, etc on it, if I lose that, and the offline multiple device access, then I will switch to Dropbox.

Frankly, if Apple doesn't at least offer an iDisk replacement for document and other data storage (not just back up data) and a true photo archive and sharing service across platforms and devices (not streaming), then they are leaving money on the table and getting rid of the few functions that ACTUALLY MADE MM worth the price. The whole reason I use iDisk is to share those files with other people. For example, I can shoot a short video with my iPhone and upload to my idisk (special shared Movie folder), allowing my wife, kids or friends to watch it. All that seems like it goes away and I'll be dipped in crap if they think I want that streamed/synced to our devices and stored locally.

At that point I will use the free contact and cal synching and switch everything else to another paid service, ala Photobucket/Flikr and Dropbox...in fact I may sign up for a free Dropbox now just to have it.

Although I DO think Apple will offer Gallery, iWed hosting and data strorage as premium services....we just do not have enough details yet, which is sort of pissing me off.

Bottom line I want control over the content and subcontent that is stored in the cloud for access and stored locally on my iPhone, Touch, iPad and two Mac's.

Last edited:

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I totally agree with marc11

I don't have (or want) any iDevices that need to be synced with iCloud.
With MM, I have a good email service, a great way to share photos with far-flung friends and family via Gallery, and a good off-site storage facility for my important stuff via iDisk.
If some of these go away, so will I.
Having it all available through MM makes it worth the money I pay. Without these available, my money to Apple goes away.
Wise up, Apple. Please.

3Pedals6Speeds

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
I really hope the iDisk function goes beyond syncing IOS devices like the graphics at the presentation showed. I have OSX machines in multiple locations (home/work) and rely heavily iDisk them as my 'mountable drive' to store everything in one location and always have access no matter where I am. Honestly, this current capability is more iCloud than anything, I can't believe they may abort this capability in the rush to improve IOS capabilities. Gonna be seriously bummed if iCloud doesn't provide same capability.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
I just got done moving all my gmail/dropbox to mobileMe. If they get rid of iDisk I'll be moving back and canceling my subscription. To me this again shows that Apple still doesn't understand "cloud" usage. MobileMe (after many fixes) was very nice, just over priced. iCloud to me is just useless stuff about syncing music, I couldn't care less about that.

Why is it that since I started using Apples I'm seeing less and less of a reason to be on one? MobileMe was one of my last reasons to stay. I've been unhappy with the Lion releases, I know its not finally but none of the features impress me and it doesn't seem to help battery or my performance any. The App store is useless to me, the new MacBooks didn't get USB3 that i use, it has TB that still doesn't have good support and now this.

It really feels like Apple is pushing me to get a Windows machine again. They cost a lot less, still last the 3yrs I keep a laptop and has the same free alternatives (gmail, dropbox, vlc) that I find I will be using so much on OS X anyway. I'm just not seeing anything appealing anymore.

Last edited:

lpetrich

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
I use my iDisk for webspace -- I put my webpages in the Sites folder there, though I create them by hand or with software that I'd written, and not with anything like iWeb or Dreamweaver.

So it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for web hosting, and web hosting that allows me to create complete pages. Would it be reasonable for me to start a thread on this subject, and where would be a good place to start it?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
great thread, and great post by marc11.

I had switched from mobileme to dropbox for documents, as it easily syncs across platforms, and not everyone in our house uses macs. Plus I wanted a locally stored version of my files, and the idisk local 'mirror' doesn't behave well with Time Machine (apple joined up experiences - sure..)

But for my photos I use idisk for backup - dropbox is expensive and idisk is just easy - I have my mobileme sub anyway.

I hope they let you upgrade the 5GB storage and that costs aren't too much. It seems crazy to invest hundreds of millions in a new datacentre, and then not even offer clear upgrade paths for existing mobileme customers - just a curt cancellation notice for next year. What are we supposed to do in the meantime, just sit quietly and hope for some scraps from the table?

This will just get customers looking for alternatives. I know I am.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
iOS 5 already has a nonfunctional "Buy More Storage" button under the iCloud settings. Hopefully the prices will be very competitive with Google's prices.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
I don't think anyone knows for sure what is going to happen to iDisk or gallery.

it's confirmed now, Apple says Gallery, iDisk (and iWeb) will go the way of the dodo. see this MobileMe to iCloud Transition FAQ

they recommend Gallery users to make sure they've saved all photos that have been published to Gallery before June 2012.

I too need to find an alternative to Gallery, I use it a lot :(

Last edited:

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Photo Stream is an ass backwards, short sighted view of photo sharing. The very reason I use Gallery is to share photo's not just across devices, but across platforms and people. I have 10,000 photos, I do not need nor want any of them on my phone or iPad, I want to use that limited memory for apps, movies, music, etc. I also want to share some photo's with other people on demand, not one by one.

Why Apple thinks synching 1000 photos to devices is a good idea or better than Gallery has me baffled.

@marc11 I'm with you 100% on this. Not sure yet how I'm going to replace the functionality AND ease of use of Gallery.

the main appeal of Gallery to me is that it's dead simple for several other less computer-literate family members & friends to upload/download to galleries we share with many other family members AND to simply integrate with our very large shared family iPhoto library (probably more than 20~30k photos)

I don't need Photo Streaming to all MY iDevices - I want to share albums from my iPhoto library with other people on THEIR computers. I'm very disappointed Gallery is going away

I already use Dropbox but not iDisk, so no problem on that front for general file storage. but Dropbox isn't a replacement for Gallery.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple's solution to MobileMe's terrible reputation? Get rid of some of its most stable features.

I know iCloud doesn't cost anything for 5GB, but I will not be using it. Gallery and iDisk were worth the fee on their own.

Photo Stream is useless to me. The number of people who have multiple iOS devices and want to sync photos between them must be tiny.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Apple's solution to MobileMe's terrible reputation? Get rid of some of its most stable features.

I know iCloud doesn't cost anything for 5GB, but I will not be using it. Gallery and iDisk were worth the fee on their own.

Photo Stream is useless to me. The number of people who have multiple iOS devices and want to sync photos between them must be tiny.

I agree. I download the OS X and iOS plug ins for Photobucket, pretty nice integration to Camera Roll and iPhoto, not as clean as MM, but good enough. So now I guess I will have to start moving all my pictures from Gallery to PhotoBucket and sign up for the premium service.

Bummer really.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Imho

I Sync 3-Mac's an iPhone and an iPad. I use 28 more macs in my business.

While iCloud's new features look interesting (we will see), removing services like: keychain, dock dashboard,and preference syncing is a real letdown for me (not to mention loosing Galleries and iDisk)... "It all just worked" for me. Especially for the last year or more... 100's and 100's of photos and videos shared with my family across the USA... This alone has sold many Macs to friends and family once they saw all of this...

Unless Apple comes up with alternatives, we are left to "cobble" things together using outside providers like dropbox to sync keychains or word files (unless we want to convert them to pages - hmmm).

This is the same thing that others had to do that didn't want to pay for MobileMe. These services help make using multiple devices (especially Macs) easier and if people want these services, AND ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THEM, then Apple should provide them... Not GIVE then TAKE them away... IMHO

Last edited:

Steven in VA

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
MM worthwhile for Gallery alone

We have a family MM account. It's worth the 30 bucks/year for Gallery alone.

All three kids, who live very far apart, and my wife and I use Gallery for all our photos and video--especially to share with each other. My daughter in Hawaii made me a hilarious video gift for Father's Day, the whole family could enjoy it instantly, and she made it private since it included video of some non-family members. It's easy to use, looks great, and beats all those crappy-looking Snapfish or Picasas by a lot.

Anyone interested in initiating a petition to Apple to add Gallery to a premium (ie, not free) version of iCloud? I could get 10 signatures fast. We'd just need a few hundred thousand more.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Anyone interested in initiating a petition to Apple to add Gallery to a premium (ie, not free) version of iCloud? I could get 10 signatures fast. We'd just need a few hundred thousand more.

not sure about petition, unsure if it would do any good

would gladly carry on paying for Mobile Me/iCloud if it gives the features I have now though

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
not sure about petition, unsure if it would do any good

Apple don't have a history of backtracking - although the mute/rotation switch does show they will take action if there is outcry among users. Unfortunately I don't think a significant enough proportion of Apple customers who use MM for this to happen. Unless of course the freeloading dropbox users jump on board now iCloud will be free (although I guess most people will need to buy some storage. Just one back-up each of iPad and iPhone has already used up about 1.5 of my 5Gb).

My plans are to jump straight to iCloud when it's generally available and see what happens wrt storage. Flickr is my weapon of choice for photo's, it's just iDisk which will remain until June 2012 anyway

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
My plans are to jump straight to iCloud when it's generally available and see what happens wrt storage. Flickr is my weapon of choice for photo's, it's just iDisk which will remain until June 2012 anyway

Hopefully I will do the same

I already use Flickr, so just the pain of re uploading MM galleries to there
I have a dropbox account setup, havent put a great deal there yet

I dont have much hope in iCloud replacing these things (would love to be wrong), but iCloud seems to be about syncing and not sharing

which is a shame, the good thing about MM was these features all came together in one package, now they have to be seperated

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
We have a family MM account. It's worth the 30 bucks/year for Gallery alone.

I too would pay for Gallery - it's largely the reason I pay for MM (although the calendar, addr book sync work great for me, too)

but I doubt a petition would do much good.

in my case, I'll use Gallery for (up to) 1 more year but I'm considering switching to a SmugMug account - $40/yr, looks great, and some nicer features than Gallery. there seem to be some easy to use plug-ins to integrate with iPhoto, I will have to check those out...

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I picked up an Eye-fi card for my Canon digicam. I like the way it uploads photos but I have to sit there keeping the camera from falling asleep while it does it. And movies? Forget about it. Over wifi, movies simply don't get transferred so I have to pop out the SD card and read movies directly. Not such a big deal because I don't take movies that often but it doesn't bode well for Apple's "automatic" transfer to photo stream. Eyefi software is available for iOS. At first, it was kind of stupid. There was no progress bar and it didn't work in the background. Now at least there is a progress bar on each image as it uploads. It chews through battery like nobody's business.

As for iDisk and Gallery, so far I've been dabbling with flickr, picasa and dropbox. One thing I liked about gallery was the way it created "mouseover preview" images that allowed me to preview all the images in the gallery simply by swiping over the main gallery thumbnail with the mouse. At first, iWeb was creating the preview image using flash. I see that Apple has now replaced it with some non flash based solution. I guess I'll have to peek at the code to see how it's done so I can replicate this feature wherever I take my galleries after mobile me galleries stop working.

I disagree that photostream is completely useless, as long as it is flexible about what gets pushed where. I want my photos "pushed" to my Mac rather than having to think about them. I certainly don't need them duplicated on any of my other iOS devices. I just need to find a way to automate pushing them from my Mac to whatever service I wind up using as my gallery (picasa, flickr or whatever). Hopefully Apple provides a way to block pushing photos to all my iOS devices (which would fill them up). Apple has a rather comical setting in iTunes to "fill unused space". Since iOS devices are becoming primary computers, the very idea of filling unused space, whether with music or with pictures is about the dumbest idea in modern history. I need free space on my device for apps and documents not photos and music. I rarely have over a gig of music and another gig of photos on any of my iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.