Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
iAAPL
macrumors regular

Podcasts in iOS 5

So I was listening to WWDC coverage on TWiT Live on Monday, and when they were talking about something in iOS 5, Tom Merrit mentioned something about automatic podcast downloading. I have iOS 5 installed on my iPhone 4, but I don't have Lion, just Snow Leopard. I haven't found anything yet, but has anyone else? I'm a student and work 40+ hours a week at a golf course. I keep my iPhone-supporting earmuffs on pretty much all day. Usually I listen to Pandora, but I've got to really slow down on my data use, and it would be really convenient to have my podcasts download overnight on my WiFi, so it's ready to go right away in the morning. [REDACTED*] I wouldn't be opposed to having my iMac turn on early in the morning [ADDED: , but apparently WiFi sync isn't enabled yet.] Is there something you can do with iCloud to make this work? [REDACTED*] Is there a good app that automatically downloads podcasts? Any suggestions?

*Sorry andythursby

Last edited by iAAPL; Jun 11, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
iAAPL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:14 PM   #2
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAAPL View Post
I haven't gotten WiFi syncing to work yet (yes, I have iTunes 10.5), and I wouldn't be opposed to having my iMac turn on early in the morning. Is there something you can do with iCloud to make this work? Has anyone gotten WiFi syncing to work?
as has been said here in MANY threads, even one specifically titled about wifi syncing... IT'S NOT ENABLED IN THIS BETA! It's cleared stated in the release notes that this is the case....
shandyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAAPL View Post
[REDACTED*] Is there a good app that automatically downloads podcasts? Any suggestions?

*Sorry andythursby
I use icatcher and it's great, defiantly worth the $2
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4
allonym
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Of the four that I've tried, Instacast is my favourite.
allonym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5
los318
macrumors 6502

I use Instacast. Easy to use.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Scuby
macrumors regular

So iOS 5 doesn't download podcasts automatically if you're subscribed and using iCloud? I'd assumed that now iOS can function without a computer host, subscribing to podcasts would be built in one way or another.

David
Scuby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:22 PM   #7
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuby View Post
So iOS 5 doesn't download podcasts automatically if you're subscribed and using iCloud? I'd assumed that now iOS can function without a computer host, subscribing to podcasts would be built in one way or another.

David
as far as i know, subscriptions don't come from the cloud yet well not in the UK, but deffo will wifi sync on official release. i know you can manually download from iTunes without a computer at the mo.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Scuby
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythursby View Post
as far as i know, subscriptions don't come from the cloud yet well not in the UK, but deffo will wifi sync on official release. i know you can manually download from iTunes without a computer at the mo.
Booo. It's been strangely missing for years, you'd think that subscribing to podcasts (and, remember, it was Apple who popularised podcasts to start with) from on your iDevice would have been a basic feature since iOS first appeared. What's the point in a weekly podcast if you have to go looking for it every week? If you can now subscribe to magazines (once the iMagazineShelf or whatever it's called is enabled) then it shouldn't be a huge leap to allow podcasts to be subscribed to and downloaded automatically too... you'd think?

David
Scuby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:45 PM   #9
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

I would love for them to add this before final release. If I could refresh all my podcasts right from the phone I would have no need to sync with my computer for long periods of time. I know there are several app store apps that do this really nicely but nothing beats having it baked in to the OS.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:52 PM   #10
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuby View Post
Booo. It's been strangely missing for years, you'd think that subscribing to podcasts (and, remember, it was Apple who popularised podcasts to start with) from on your iDevice would have been a basic feature since iOS first appeared. What's the point in a weekly podcast if you have to go looking for it every week? If you can now subscribe to magazines (once the iMagazineShelf or whatever it's called is enabled) then it shouldn't be a huge leap to allow podcasts to be subscribed to and downloaded automatically too... you'd think?

David
it may kick in in official release. we dunno yet. but that's what wifi sync is for

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
I would love for them to add this before final release. If I could refresh all my podcasts right from the phone I would have no need to sync with my computer for long periods of time. I know there are several app store apps that do this really nicely but nothing beats having it baked in to the OS.
like i said above, there's wifi sync, which will automatically sync your device for iTunes overnight whilst you sleep, so as long as you don't mind the PC being on with iTunes overnight, you're ok.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 09:51 AM   #11
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Reports I'm reading is you still can't sync podcasts with GM (and not using itunes).

What a shame...........
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:15 AM   #12
austinguy23
macrumors 6502a

Really? It still doesn't sync podcasts?! How could they leave that out...it's such a basic function.
austinguy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:20 AM   #13
protobiont
macrumors 6502

I recommend downcast.

Fortunately, several app developers have stepped in where Apple dropped the ball.
protobiont is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone