Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1
darknite38
macrumors regular

Macbook pro 13" charger?

Hey guys,

I'm sure we've all heard of how crappy these macbook pro chargers are with their fraying and so forth. Now the middle of my apple charger has frayed after 13 months and it is now making sparks when I plug it in. I do not wish to spend $80 on a brand new apple charger. Does anybody know of any other chargers that don't have to be apple that I can get for cheaper?

Thanks!
darknite38 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite38 View Post
arks when I plug it in. I do not wish to spend $80 on a brand new apple charger. Does anybody know of any other chargers that don't have to be apple that I can get for cheaper?
Apple hasn't licensed the MagSafe adapter to anyone. Apple is the only place to buy them.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:29 PM   #3
darknite38
macrumors regular

After searching on ebay I found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/60W-Ultra-slim-A...#ht_2023wt_907

Is this okay?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
alust2013
macrumors 68040

You're more likely to run into issues with a non-apple charger, so I would recommend sticking with the Apple one, even if it is a little more expensive.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
MJNBGA
macrumors regular

Quote:

Is this okay?
I wouldn't buy that if my life depended on it! You have no idea what it will do to your battery health, and ebay is not that safe. Plus, it may void your warranty. You are at 's mercy when it comes to the warranty.
MJNBGA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:34 PM   #6
darknite38
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alust2013 View Post
You're more likely to run into issues with a non-apple charger, so I would recommend sticking with the Apple one, even if it is a little more expensive.
However, this one is $25. I could buy three of these for the price of one genuine macbook pro charger. The only thing that could go wrong with the knock off would be cord fraying, but even if just one frays after a year I'll have another one handy and it would only cost me $50.

The real question is, could using this knock-off charger actually damage my computer?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:35 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:

Is this okay?
I wouldn't trust any adapter that didn't come from Apple. It's not about the price of the adapter; it's about trusting the investment you've made in your MBP to a 3rd party device that you don't know how well it was designed to work with your MBP's logic board and battery. Saving a few dollars on the adapter isn't worth it.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:38 PM   #8
darknite38
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I wouldn't trust any adapter that didn't come from Apple. It's not about the price of the adapter; it's about trusting the investment you've made in your MBP to a 3rd party device that you don't know how well it was designed to work with your MBP's logic board and battery. Saving a few dollars on the adapter isn't worth it.
But if it happens to fry my logic board (I don't know why it would) I could always get it fixed under apple care? Apple are basically a monopoly when it comes to their laptop chargers because their computers don't use a universal charger and it forces me, the consumer, to spend extra dollars to buy their product that for MANY, MANY, people fails after a year?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:42 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
But if it happens to fry my logic board (I don't know why it would) I could always get it fixed under apple care?
No, that's exactly the point. AppleCare won't cover damage from non-Apple devices. In fact, the fact that you used a non-Apple adapter could be used as a reason for refusing service for any issue you might have.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:47 PM   #10
darknite38
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
No, that's exactly the point. AppleCare won't cover damage from non-Apple devices. In fact, the fact that you used a non-Apple adapter could be used as a reason for refusing service for any issue you might have.
How exactly would Apple know that I used a 3rd party charger?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:49 PM   #11
alust2013
macrumors 68040

Quote:
But if it happens to fry my logic board (I don't know why it would) I could always get it fixed under apple care? Apple are basically a monopoly when it comes to their laptop chargers because their computers don't use a universal charger and it forces me, the consumer, to spend extra dollars to buy their product that for MANY, MANY, people fails after a year?
Eh, it's a gamble with apple care. If the issue is caused by a third party charger, there is very little chance they will fix it. But that is your choice, the $25 adapter could work, or it could cause problems
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:53 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
How exactly would Apple know that I used a 3rd party charger?
If you have power-related issues, they'll ask you to bring in your charger and your MBP. You're missing the point. Now you're talking about concealing from Apple the fact that you use a 3rd party adapter. The point is, using the adapter could be the source of problems you may have. If I have a problem with a defective MagSafe adapter and it damages my Mac, both the adapter and my Mac are covered by AppleCare. If I use a 3rd party adapter and it damages my Mac, neither the adapter nor my Mac are covered.

If you want to risk it, go ahead... it's your Mac. You asked for advice. If you choose to ignore it, that's your right.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:57 PM   #13
jenzjen
macrumors 68000

Everyone here is giving you the right advice - use the $25 charger at your own risk, and don't be surprised if Apple refuses your repair.

When I had charger overheat issue, Apple would not repair my machine until I brought in the charger as well ... probably so they can make sure I was using an Apple charger, which I was.

Call Apple and explain what happened. I'd be surprised if they don't simply send you a new charger, but YMMV.
jenzjen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:47 PM   #14
ThaDoggg
macrumors 6502a

I am looking at buying an extra adapter to use when away from my desk and unfortunately I too will have to spend the $80 for a new one. Very steep for a crappy product but unfortunately it seems we have no choice.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:51 PM   #15
kppolich
macrumors 6502

check your local craigslisst/computer recycling store. picked up one for 25 from clist and they are around 40 used at a store.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:59 PM   #16
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm sure we've all heard of how crappy these macbook pro chargers are with their fraying and so forth. Now the middle of my apple charger has frayed after 13 months and it is now making sparks when I plug it in. I do not wish to spend $80 on a brand new apple charger. Does anybody know of any other chargers that don't have to be apple that I can get for cheaper?

Thanks!
1. you just spent $1199+ on a macbook pro and yet you are not willing to spend $80+ on a charger?

2. problems as everyone has talked about. you have no idea how the 3rd party charger will work. use it at your own risk

3. 13 months - im guessing no apple care. talk to apple anyways, they may just replace it for you

buy the one on ebay and use it. but its at your own risk. i do not want to be reading a thread in a week saying your macbook pro was fried because of a 3rd party charger. actually do it, so then we can all say we told you so.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 03:01 PM   #17
cloroxbleach4
macrumors 6502a

I second that. Try to look at ebay or craigslist for a used charger. But if you can't find one, I would stick to an official apple charger.

For Sale Thread
cloroxbleach4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro