Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Just restarted for the fourth time and it "magically" worked after doing nothing since the last restart.

After unplugging headphones, the red digital audio light was still on (even though they were just normal headphones, unless that red light always goes on when something is plugged in them). I wonder that because the light no longer shines.

I restarted the machine, reset PMU, reset PRAM, but it still thinks headphones are plugged in. It shows headphones in the output. I can't change the volume.... and that's about it.

Still chimes at startup though, but that's only because they changed the startup chime to not go through headphones (which used to at least on PPC Macs).

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Your sound system is outputting a digital signal. Go to the preferences and disable that and see if it doesn't work.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
actually it does this with my 2011 MBP 17in.
But only sometimes. Like once every 50 times.
MBP thinks my headphones are plugged in so no sound comes out of the speaker. In that case I have to restart it. Then sometimes, it thinks I have no headphones plugged in so even if I have the headphone plugged in, it would just come out of the speaker.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Blow some canned air into the headphone port. Seriously.

+1 to this.

Try canned air, if that doesn't work make sure you clean off your headphone jack with alcohol and try inserting and removing in a few times, alternating with the canned air.

There's a sensor in there that thinks it's got headphones plugged in. Usually happens if some dirt, dust or other random form of crud gets in there. It can also be the result of corrosion from condensation. Not terribly rare for that type of port. There are electronic contact cleaners that can be used as a last resort.

If that doesn't work it's time to break out the AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.