Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhkaplan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I'm running iOS5 beta build, and would like to get all of my contacts to iCloud. I don't think using google contacts has been as stable as I'd like.

Does anyone know of a way to bulk transfer my contacts from Google contacts to iCloud? I have my Google account synced w/ my phone and with Address Book, hopefully that helps somehow.

Thanks for your help!

dazzx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
There seems to be an option for importing Vcards but its greyed out , but i believe that vcards is individual contacts only ,

hibanzai

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
What is mentioned above works only for macs. If you use a PC, then you have to do it in another way.

The way I did it was as follows:

- Open iTunes, and sync contacts via iTunes with your gmail. Do not add your gmail account from your phone, do that later. Simply put your gmail account and let iTunes sync and don't forget to click apply!

- Your contacts are now all in your iPhone, synced with your gmail account. You need to untick the sync contact in iTunes again, it will ask you if you if you want to keep contacts or delete them. Obviously you click keep. Click apply. This is the only way your iPhone will keep gmail contacts without deleting them. If you stop syncing via your iphone, your phone will delete all contacts without giving you the option to keep them.

- Now you basically have all your contacts stored in your iPhone, without having gmail sync'd to them. Setup your iCloud account, then and only then do you turn on syncing contacts on iCloud (if you had iClouds setup before the mentioned steps.)

Enjoy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.