Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple was careful about managing expectations heading into the WWDC keynote. A week before the keynote, they spelled out exactly what they would talk about (OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud) and also specifically omitted any reference to new hardware. We believe the reason for the candor was the public expectation that the WWDC keynote has always been the launchpad for the next iPhone.

151219-iphone5render_500.jpg

iPhone mockup by blkr​

Instead, rumors have been persistent that the next iPhone would be released in the September timeframe. Reuters detailed the timeline back in April:
Apple Inc suppliers will begin production of its next-generation iPhone in July this year, with the finished product likely to begin shipping in September, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.
Right on schedule, we are now hearing from 9to5Mac that the iPhone 5 has reached the final testing stage and should be ready in time for a September launch.

Their source must be based in Verizon as they claim that it's not clear when Verizon will support 3G FaceTime, and reportedly some negotiations about the details of over-the-air updates remain ongoing. Verizon iPhones have strangely been left somewhat behind in software updates, still only able to support iOS 4.2.8 as the highest version. iOS 5 will consolidate the codebase across all iPhone models when it is released this fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September

Last edited by a moderator:

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
This needs to hurry up - my 3GS is on it's last legs as it is ;-) An announcement date would at least let me know how much to spend on my 'get by till then' phone :)

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.

CallistoJag

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

just in time for x-mas ;)

Insolence

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
EU
Hopefully they'll get rid of the Glass back.... Aluminum ftw. Maybe curved edges too? iPad 2 Style <3

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

FoxHoundADAM said:
That's a nice mock-up. I was going to do one until I googled iPhone 4 and called it good.

Regardless Apple will have to change something about the general appearance to "show" consumers" it is different. Doesn't have to be major but just something.

BTW if I hear one more 3GS user complain about being on their last leg I will scream. Try a 3G in iOS4.

Does this have the thinner front bezel? Can't really tell what's different in this mock up from current

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yay. :)

Do they really mean the iPhone 5 is coming or are they talking about the iPhone 4s?

It doesn't matter what they decide to call it, but they are referring to the 5th generation iPhone.

Verizon JUST got the iPhone and they're already trying to screw their customers....

You mean to say that customers are getting screwed with each new Android that comes out every week?

This needs to hurry up - my 3GS is on it's last legs as it is ;-) An announcement date would at least let me know how much to spend on my 'get by till then' phone :)

Same! I want it now!

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does this have the thinner front bezel? Can't really tell what's different in this mock up from current

edge to edge glass

cffry

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Northern Illinois
Seriously looking forward to a Sprint iPhone in September. I'm due for an upgrade in July, so these rumors will hold me over until it's officially announced. :D

brandnewfunk

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
iPhone, WP7 Rock!

I love the iPhone hardware. And I know that 5 will not disappoint. Wish I could put WP7 on one, though :(.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

iPhone mockup by blkr​
Apple was careful about managing expectations heading into the WWDC keynote. A week before the keynote, they spelled out exactly what they would talk about (OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud) and also specifically omitted any reference to new hardware. We believe the reason for the candor was the public expectation that WWDC keynote has always been the launchpad for the next iPhone.

Instead, rumors have been persistent that the next iPhone would be released in the September timeframe. Reuters detailed the timeline back in April:Right on schedule, we are now hearing from 9to5Mac that the iPhone 5 has reached the final testing stage and should be ready in time for a September launch.

Their source must be based in Verizon as they claim that it's not clear when Verizon will support 3G FaceTime, and reportedly some negotiations about the details of over-the-air updates remain ongoing. Verizon iPhones have strangely been left somewhat behind in software updates, still only able to support iOS 4.2.8 as the highest version. iOS 5 will consolidate the codebase across all iPhone models when it is released this fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5 in Final Testing, Due in September

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
This is good news. Although, while I'm hoping for a different form factor (the current 4G seems sort of clunky to me, I never really liked the design), I don't foresee a significant change because of not only Apple's typical product refresh schedule but also from all the different rumors floating around and the fact that iOS has (arguably) not changed significantly from 4 to 5, which seems to also mark a hardware change if the software change is rather large.

Btw, nice mockup. Exactly the same as last year's mockup almost. Haha.

...Wish I could put WP7 on one, though :(.

Terrible idea, to say the least. ;)

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Didn't we already know this? I mean, it's well known that Apple always updates the iPod in September for the "Holiday Season" and that the iPod itself is now much less important to the company. This isn't so much a rumour as something you could reasonably bet your mortgage on. This is just the reorganisation of the product release schedule that has been predicted for a while now.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I'll buy whatever they release, though my 3GS is still a champ. AND it will run iOS 5? I love it. If it only had a better camera.

iNeedToDoHw

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
I just know what steve jobs is gonna say at the keynote.

"Same GREAT Design, improved performance"
lol

i hate keeping the last year's design personally.. :(

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I am far more excited about iOS 5 and the iPhone 5 than anything else Apple is doing right now. Lion looks great, but the features aren't all that revolutionary as just taking some from iOS and putting them on the Mac. The iPhone hardware hopefully including a World unlocked phone, better pair of cameras, A5, and double RAM would be incredible paired with the new iOS 5.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Great news! If all goes well we should be seeing lots of leaks next month on what to expect. Here's hoping for a bigger screen and a redesigned antenna, with a possibly curved back. C'mon Apple surprise us in a good way.

ben173

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Great news! If all goes well we should be seeing lots of leaks next month on what to expect. Here's hoping for a bigger screen and a redesigned antenna, with a possibly curved back. C'mon Apple surprise us in a good way.

tell me if im wrong but i think the mock up shows it with a bigger screen:confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.