Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jre89999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I woke up to my mac book under the couch where water or juice was spilled on it. It was closed. I went to turn it on and only the front light turned on. No screen, no sound, no keyboard backlight. I held down the power button and shut it down. I took the backing off of it and seen there was some corrosion. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush to remove the corrosion and put it back together. I hit the power button and boom the screen lit up for a split second. then right back off. The green light stayed lite in the front. And then Ishut it down. I removed the cover again and this time took out the circuit board. I cleaned off the other side of the mother board and the connections, put it all back together and now when i start it up, no screen, and the fan runs for a second louder than I have ever heard it, then the fan quiets back down. The front light is on and then the mac shuts off by its self and then restarts again by it's self. Any help? I don't know what to do know. I hope I didn't short circuit it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its a 15 inch Mac Book Pro 2010

Thank you

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I woke up to my mac book under the couch where water or juice was spilled on it. It was closed. I went to turn it on and only the front light turned on. No screen, no sound, no keyboard backlight. I held down the power button and shut it down. I took the backing off of it and seen there was some corrosion. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush to remove the corrosion and put it back together. I hit the power button and boom the screen lit up for a split second. then right back off. The green light stayed lite in the front. And then Ishut it down. I removed the cover again and this time took out the circuit board. I cleaned off the other side of the mother board and the connections, put it all back together and now when i start it up, no screen, and the fan runs for a second louder than I have ever heard it, then the fan quiets back down. The front light is on and then the mac shuts off by its self and then restarts again by it's self. Any help? I don't know what to do know. I hope I didn't short circuit it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its a 15 inch Mac Book Pro 2010

Thank you

When you have water damage you should never turn it on. Leave it with a fan, or in a humungous bag of rice for a week.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
When you have water damage you should never turn it on. Leave it with a fan, or in a humungous bag of rice for a week.

Better yet, you should have just taken it to Apple right away instead of turning it on (the worst thing you could do). There is really no way to diagnose it at this point, because so many things could be shot internally. I'd say it's a lost cause, but maybe Apple can offer you some hope for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.