Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1
TSE
macrumors 68030

Jump Desktop - Remote Desktop questions

So I have decided to go for Jump Desktop on my iPad 2 - It seems to be not as popular, but it seems to be fast, be able to be used through 3G Wifi, have excellent Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Support, and all that fun jazz. I haven't ordered it yet as I have a few questions.

1. Why isn't Jump Desktop as popular? Is there something it's missing that I am just not picking up?

2. Is it possible to boot up my Mac/wake it up from sleep from my iPad? An additional app for that?

3. For someone with Jump Desktop - how is the performance? Is it good enough for iTunes/Microsoft Word/Watching some Hulu videos? Is sound supported?

Thank you!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Mad Dart
macrumors newbie

I just installed Jump Desktop last night on my IPad 2. Hitting my Macbook Pro and my IMac at the office with it. I have Dual Monitors on the IMac and it works effortless and it is very quick even on 3G. I am also using Parallels and running windows 7 on the second monitor, I need some programs for my job otherwise I would NEVER use windows again. Good thing is Windows 7 Runs very well on a Mac and never locks up or anything, Better than a PC could ever Imagine. The only thing that I noticed so far is you can not play and hear your Video or Audio files using VNC in the set up. I guess RDP is what you need and it is Windows based. I will try and find a way so I can stream Audio and Video somehow from my Mac's to the Ipad. I don't even really want to mess with the windows 7 side for this to work. When ICloud comes out I am thinking all these problems will be resolved for Audio and Video Streaming, we will see.
If someone knows how, please chime in and let us all know.
Mad Dart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
1. Why isn't Jump Desktop as popular? Is there something it's missing that I am just not picking up?
I don't know if it's any more or less popular than other remote desktop apps, but it was the only one meeting my requirements. I use the app to access Windows and Linux machines in our lab. I have no use for apps like Splashtop that require a proprietary server software on the host (and don't work with Linux). I wanted support for both VNC (for Linux) and RDP (for Windows Server).

When I last checked, Jump and Wyse Pocketcloud were the only apps meeting these requirements. I tried both and liked the user interface of Jump better (it seemed smoother and I didn't like the bulky mouse tool of Wyse). It also supports connecting through SSH tunnels, which comes in handy for accessing machines behind a firewall.
Quote:
2. Is it possible to boot up my Mac/wake it up from sleep from my iPad? An additional app for that?
Search the app store for "wake on LAN".
Quote:
3. For someone with Jump Desktop - how is the performance? Is it good enough for iTunes/Microsoft Word/Watching some Hulu videos? Is sound supported?
You will not get smooth motion video with either RDP or VNC in any app. For this you'd be better off using Splashtop, which has support for motion video in its proprietary protocol. Audio is supported in Jump, but only when using RDP. Applications like MS Word work fine via the remote connection.
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps